Dolmar 64xx/73xx/79xx series, smurfs and solo 665/675/681 thread

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same bar and chain and wood. The 7910 just feels like it has more balls. Maybe it's in my head? Xpw was built right. Its strong. Just feels like i can lean on the 7910 harder.
What's this feels stuff, gotta be stopwatch faster or it don't count, lest that's what I was told lol.
Pics of the slow xpw please :D.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about a video Brett?

Me likey.
I think I remember that video.
Have you cut much with them side by side, many times its hard to tell on saws you don't run often. But seeing the MMS 7910 hp on in the dyno thread could sure help convince someone they are great runners.
Smaller wood, stock xpw.
Ported 2171.
Ported 7900.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
9:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me likey.
I think I remember that video.
Have you cut much with them side by side, many times its hard to tell on saws you don't run often. But seeing the MMS 7910 hp on in the dyno thread could sure help convince someone they are great runners.
Smaller wood, stock xpw.
Ported 2171.
Ported 7900.

Not side by side. I only take 2 saws with me when i cut wood. My 50cc and an almost 5 cube. I my be able to put them side by side this week. For science and stuff. :D

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am also running a zama c3 carb on the xpw. Not a big hd12.
Yeah they hurt the power a little bit on a modified saw. I was running out of fuel with a stock C3m in the wintertime on my ported 7900 (about 2 - 2 1/4 turns out on the H). I drilled the main jet to .55, thinned the shafts and bored out the carb from 16.6mm to 17mm. Which is still smaller than the HD12 in bore/jet size, but the saw ran much better. Much easier to just bolt on a HD12 than fugg around with modding the zama honestly. However for a stock saw the zama is fine though, it’s reliable if you get a good one.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah they hurt the power a little bit on a modified saw. I was running out of fuel with a stock C3m in the wintertime on my ported 7900 (about 2 - 2 1/4 turns out on the H). I drilled the main jet to .55, thinned the shafts and bored out the carb from 16.6mm to 17mm. Which is still smaller than the HD12 in bore/jet size, but the saw ran much better. Much easier to just bolt on a HD12 than fugg around with modding the zama honestly. However for a stock saw the zama is fine though, it’s reliable if you get a good one.

I like the fuel circuits in a zama better than how walbro sucks the low side fuel out of the main check circuit. Less finicky on adjustments.

Throttle and choke shafts have been thinned on the xpw too.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not side by side. I only take 2 saws with me when i cut wood. My 50cc and an almost 5 cube. I my be able to put them side by side this week. For science and stuff. :D
Look forward to seeing the science, everyone these days is talking about following the science, depends who the scientist is!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the fuel circuits in a zama better than how walbro sucks the low side fuel out of the main check circuit. Less finicky on adjustments.

Throttle and choke shafts have been thinned on the xpw too.
I like the tilly 296 better than either one of them, that’s the one I want to try next on a 7900. I have one, just haven’t been motivated since I got the zama running right. Modified zama works just fine for a worksaw.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the tilly 296 better than either one of them, that’s the one I want to try next on a 7900. I have one, just haven’t been motivated since I got the zama running right. Modified zama works just fine for a worksaw.

HS296?

Might have to look into that.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
HS296?

Might have to look into that.
Yup the only problem is that it’s not exactly a straight bolt on I believe. Might have to tweak some stuff. Haven’t tried fitting it so I am not certain.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup the only problem is that it’s not exactly a straight bolt on I believe. Might have to tweak some stuff. Haven’t tried fitting it so I am not certain.
Hard to get a stock air filter to work without carving them up. The high idle linkage on the left hits the bottom of the filter and the impulse on top of the carb hits the other side of the filter. Plus, there’s not really a good way to hold them in there because the filter elbow no longer has the rubber button hold down on the bottom. Probably not great for a worksaw

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to get a stock air filter to work without carving them up. The high idle linkage on the left hits the bottom of the filter and the impulse on top of the carb hits the other side of the filter. Plus, there’s not really a good way to hold them in there because the filter elbow no longer has the rubber button hold down on the bottom. Probably not great for a worksaw
Thanks for the insight, I will be saving that carburetor for a 385/390 then most likely. The modified c3m and hd12 are good enough for me.