High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

does round file mean round tooth round grind ?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
reading : https://opeforum.com/threads/self-feeding-issues.15250/

I don't know much about chain specifics... I found this : http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_teeth_types.htm

I still don't quite understand, from just internet pics, what round vs square tooth and round vs square grind really are.

But... if I am using a round file, does that mean i specifically have a "round grind" chain?

my crappy poulan 18" saw, 42cc ish I forget the model number, it's not the "wild thing" but the poulan pro equivalent. What kind of 3/8 pico chain is on that regarding tooth and grind? thanks.

next time I'm wherever that has stihl or husqv saws, and chains, can anyone tell me which make/model chains I could look at first hand, that are of each kind so I can visually see for myself? does a particular model or size saw have a given chain grind/tooth ?

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square is way beyond anything rookie, just focus on getting good with round file.

this guy knows filing chains

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Madsen's description, pretty much describes it, but maybe not clear enough.

Chisel Semi Chisel Chipper Cutters.png
Modern saw chain has a top plate cutting edge and a side plate cutting edge that meet at the corner.

- Old school 'Chipper' chain (top) had a very rounded corner (like a '?') that cut slowly, but for a long time between sharpenings. These are like Mud+Snow tires for trucks.
-'Full-Chisel' (bottom) has a very sharp corner (like the number '7') and cuts much faster, but dulls more easily. These are like high speed tires for cars.
- In-between these two styles are 'Semi-Chisel' chains (middle) with slightly rounded over corner. I consider these to be the 'all-season radials' that most family cars and F150s should have.

Each of these cutter types are sharpened with a round file, or round tooth grinder. The filed surfaces will be curved. This is most likely what you have.

It is possible to sharpen the Full-chisel style cutter only with special files, or a special grinder, to get the profile shown in the illustration you reference (far right in illustration). The filed surfaces will be flat. This is a more technical way to sharpen, requiring special files and more experience: there are many threads on it, if interested.
Square Ground Chain.png

Square Vutter Vallorbe Video.png

Philbert

Last edited:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost all chains are sharpened with a round file. (or a wheel which essentially does the same thing) Philbert showed an example of "square ground" chain but just a small fraction of chainsaw users utilize this process.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hand filed Square , but yea get accomplished with round filing and work ur way up . 87E3D423-6CF5-41EA-977C-06B1FC0511FD.jpeg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square is faster .However it comes down to 5 minutes using a round file or 25 minutes using a multi beveled file . I only use the later style on my version of a race chain .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless You are a speed spoiled PRO don't even bother with square!
A by You poorly round filed or ground chain will most likely outperform a by You poorly filed square chain.

Also, if You are not a PRO user chances are high You will unknowingly utilize a Semi-Chisel tooth chain which can not be sharpened "square".
I buck a lot of firewood, tend to utilize full chisel chains and I don't sharpen square!

Just saying!
If You do not time Your bucking cuts in milliseconds You don't need to bother with "square".

Last edited: