Square grind question??

Alderman

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just starting to try and learn the square grinding. Used to have a local guy who built big (with car motor) saws and was good with the square grinder. I would take my chains to him and was happy with the way they cut.
Mostly 3/8 chain but I see it can be applied to the smaller chains.
A lot of the wood I cut needs to be limbed with some limbs being quite small.
I’ve noticed the square ground seems to be a little more grabby than the round ground which I don’t mind while bucking a log. Have never used it to do any limbing
Do you guys that square grind smaller chains find it works okay for limbing or do you prefer round ground for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just starting to try and learn the square grinding. Used to have a local guy who built big (with car motor) saws and was good with the square grinder. I would take my chains to him and was happy with the way they cut.
Mostly 3/8 chain but I see it can be applied to the smaller chains.
A lot of the wood I cut needs to be limbed with some limbs being quite small.
I’ve noticed the square ground seems to be a little more grabby than the round ground which I don’t mind while bucking a log. Have never used it to do any limbing
Do you guys that square grind smaller chains find it works okay for limbing or do you prefer round ground for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did the LP Stihl PS chain for my 201t. My buddy that climbs used it on a pine removal a few weeks ago and he raved about it!
10444237aa55b1c5adc61e17479d3f2f.jpg
118965a87acab3cac72b5220496b85b4.jpg

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like it was break time or something lol.
Dan's mean. No breaks till the timber is on the ground. LOL. Just kidding. He did send up a water . And I clearly see chips flying off that saw. So he actually caught me working

Last edited:

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan's mean. No breaks till the timber is on the ground. LOL. Just kidding. He did send up a water . And I clearly see chips flying off that saw. So he actually caught me working
Lol he sent me a picture proving a break was taken. Looking forward to the next one you guy's do.