Do thicker gauge chains wear less?

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do chains with wider drivers wear less? .058 has 17.5% more area than .050, so the drive force is less concentrated. Is it noticeable? I think my .058 chains look better than the .050 chains. Less rounding of the driver edge. Is is just me?

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do chains with wider drivers wear less? .058 has 17.5% more area than .050, so the drive force is less concentrated. Is it noticeable? I think my .058 chains look better than the .050 chains. Less rounding of the driver edge. Is is just me?
Long bars , traditionally run .063 for durability

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe its true.
,m not sure of the science behind it. But a friend used to say his 404 would out last 3/8 in sharpness when cutting the same type of wood.

The guys in oz have said pritty much the same in the past with the hard woods over there, 3/8 dulls to quick compared to 404

As for other chain sizes I,m not so sure,
But remember it’s bests to compare the same manufacturer of chain. As some peeps have said different makers of the same size chain can out last others.

sfg.Foley

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my Opinion it dosent matter if its 1,5 or 1,6. Both is good for forest worke. Only 1,3 is in my mind to weak. You chain can bent very quick.

If you are running an 1,5 Bar and Chain, you can switch to 1,6 chain if your bar is a little bit more worn out.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mind says the thickness of the drive links doesn't change how much drive links wear. I think this is what you're referencing, correct? I'm sure it spreads out forces on the rim to a certain degree, but really splitting hairs IMO.

I believe its true.
,m not sure of the science behind it. But a friend used to say his 404 would out last 3/8 in sharpness when cutting the same type of wood.

The guys in oz have said pritty much the same in the past with the hard woods over there, 3/8 dulls to quick compared to 404

As for other chain sizes I,m not so sure,
But remember it’s bests to compare the same manufacturer of chain. As some peeps have said different makers of the same size chain can out last others.
I think he's talking gauge, not pitch here. But I do agree with your friends statement.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t think it will make a real difference in driver wear but thicker gauge drive links make a stiffer chassis, which is why you don’t see .404x0.050” chain anymore.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Preference for me is .058, why? For only one reason, be that different to your question, rails on the bar I feel last a little longer, chains the same width but slot wider therefore rails thinner, and when the inner section of the rail wears a little loose over the years you can then use a .063. I know it’s only a smidgen but my last three bar purchases are .063 and when they wear that’s it finished! If I could have bought these duralite’s in .058 I would have, but🤷🏻Unavailable in Oz. I run all 3/8, .404 was good in thick bark, considering a new skip loop of .404 for the 42” or i may change the tip back to 3/8”🤔🤔

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
from my experience of late .050 chain just does not seem to be holding up, brand name not with standing. 058 &.063 seem to hold on to lubrication better, less stretching as well. I am cutting all hardwoods ( really none of the soft hard woods like silver maple ) there also seems to be an industry wide problem with drive sprockets, OEM are not excluded in this . the spacing is not uniform, or out of round. Oregon outdoor products was recently sold again. The holding co that bought it generally specilizes in destroying co. by sucking the profits out and loading them up with debt as well as degrading quality to maximize profit. Stilh chain in .050 might be ok yet, I do not use it due to the cost per loop. I generally buy chain in bulk. Not being a stilh dealer the cost is prohibitive. Had a customer bring some chains marked like stilh including stilh logo. The green or yellow marked links are different colors than what has been the norm, he stated that they cost him about 1/2-1/3 less than normal stilh pricing- maybe knock offs, very hard to tell. These should cycle through my shop shortly so we shall see. landsacaper that does firewood in off season so his use will be winding down now being 1/2 way through March- depending on Mother Nature's whims of course.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
from my experience of late .050 chain just does not seem to be holding up, brand name not with standing. 058 &.063 seem to hold on to lubrication better, less stretching as well. I am cutting all hardwoods ( really none of the soft hard woods like silver maple ) there also seems to be an industry wide problem with drive sprockets, OEM are not excluded in this . the spacing is not uniform, or out of round. Oregon outdoor products was recently sold again. The holding co that bought it generally specilizes in destroying co. by sucking the profits out and loading them up with debt as well as degrading quality to maximize profit. Stilh chain in .050 might be ok yet, I do not use it due to the cost per loop. I generally buy chain in bulk. Not being a stilh dealer the cost is prohibitive. Had a customer bring some chains marked like stilh including stilh logo. The green or yellow marked links are different colors than what has been the norm, he stated that they cost him about 1/2-1/3 less than normal stilh pricing- maybe knock offs, very hard to tell. These should cycle through my shop shortly so we shall see. landsacaper that does firewood in off season so his use will be winding down now being 1/2 way through March- depending on Mother Nature's whims of course.
So you're wearing out drive links before cutters? Interesting.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you're wearing out drive links before cutters? Interesting.
If he is, something is wrong.

I know my .050 chains have more rounded drivers than my .058 chains and that's why I started the conversation.

As far as stretch, my .058 chains stretch just as much as my .050 chains do. Once it gets to a certain point it pretty much stops.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to ask for pic's, before as it can make easier to help identify the problem.

As It could be a number of reasons.

Have a look here from the (Oregon chainsaw maintenance manual) you maybe able to find something similar to your problem.

Particularly Pages 54-57

Attachments

• MM_EN_EUR.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 3

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the thicker driver chains do get bent as easy when you throw a chain. that is what i have noticed. i have ran lots of .063 and .050. the thicker chain is a little heavier but not enough to notice once you are used to running a saw all day. also there is more meat when you have to file a driver with the bigger chains
just my two cents

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer stihl chain because all the different gauges of chain they make are .063 on the upper chassis, only the lower part of the driver is thinned down for .058 and .050.

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was told years ago that thicker drivers are better suited for longer chains as they move more oil along the bar.