Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey would you mind clarifying that last part about how flywheel side will index it? That’s also a concern I have because the pto side case half has no stop.

The flywheel side does have a stop and will index the crank correctly inside the cases when dropped fully in.

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So pto side requires the installation of the oil pump to stop the crank? Or just the installation on flywheel side first doesn’t allow it to go any deeper. I gotcha thank you i was thinking about this and it didn’t make sense but I understand now.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So pto side requires the installation of the oil pump to stop the crank? Or just the installation on flywheel side first doesn’t allow it to go any deeper. I gotcha thank you i was thinking about this and it didn’t make sense but I understand now.

Yes, on the pto side the oil pump is needed to be bolted up to locate the bearing.
Steve does the flywheel side first and that way no need to install the pump and the bearing ends up where it ends up.
If I am remembering correctly @Stump Shot did a video on that.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, on the pto side the oil pump is needed to be bolted up to locate the bearing.
Steve does the flywheel side first and that way no need to install the pump and the bearing ends up where it ends up.
There's a pic by pic how to in some Stihl thread or another, I can't know as I lost all my bookmarks. :(

Sawyer94

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense not like the crank is going to allow the bearing to move past its resting location.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I press the bearings on the crank with an arbor press then toss the assembly in the freezer. I heat the cases with a heat gun. I usually get enough engagement the first time to get case bolts involved, then pull everything together. 550xps don't particularly care for this method though.

Yeah, for a lot of the 5** series Huskies, the factory crank tools are the way to go.