361 Arctic Crank bearings

woodgrenade

Active OPE Member
Local time
11:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a 361 Arctic that I believe may need new crank bearings. I’ve split cases, I’ve done crank bearings, I’ve done crank seals etc on other Stihls and Huskies, so I am fairly knowledgeable, just not knowledgeable when it comes to the Arctics.
Before I tear this saw down I was wondering if anyone else has experienced “flat spots” when they hand rotate the crank of an Arctic outfitted saw. There is no play in the crank shaft at all, but it just doesn’t feel right when I rotate the flywheel with no plug in the cylinder as compared to a non heated saw. I’m wondering if the generator behind the flywheel is producing enough of a force on the flywheel that it’s making it “feel” different when I rotate it by hand. The big end bearing has no vertical play, and the piston and cylinder look great. When I got the saw it was partially dissembled and in a box.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a 361 Arctic that I believe may need new crank bearings. I’ve split cases, I’ve done crank bearings, I’ve done crank seals etc on other Stihls and Huskies, so I am fairly knowledgeable, just not knowledgeable when it comes to the Arctics.
Before I tear this saw down I was wondering if anyone else has experienced “flat spots” when they hand rotate the crank of an Arctic outfitted saw. There is no play in the crank shaft at all, but it just doesn’t feel right when I rotate the flywheel with no plug in the cylinder as compared to a non heated saw. I’m wondering if the generator behind the flywheel is producing enough of a force on the flywheel that it’s making it “feel” different when I rotate it by hand. The big end bearing has no vertical play, and the piston and cylinder look great. When I got the saw it was partially dissembled and in a box.
Yes indeed, you will feel the multiple magnets working on the generator and yes it does feel funny when rotated. If unsure remove flywheel and reinspect.