Construction Projects

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember my uncle installing one years ago, left a pretty sweet mark on the floor lol.
We are completely removing our roof this year from the ceiling up, and replacing with a cathedral ceiling. I'm trying to figure out how to let more light in, and trying to avoid dormers.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are completely removing our roof this year from the ceiling up, and replacing with a cathedral ceiling. I'm trying to figure out how to let more light in, and trying to avoid dormers.

Spend the big bucks and get them bay looking windows that can also open to let a good breeze through. Friend has like 3 in a row and its pretty cool seeing the stars at night.

My uncle had end up putting a filter on them tubes to help defuse the light.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How well do those skylight tubes work?
There fine, if you have 2’ oc and the room, I would do 2’x4’ skylights, They make them to fit inside the framing, and they work out really nice. And this application or 12 inch on center, So these fit right in between, he just wanted some natural light for the bathrooms. I really like these for hallways and bathrooms that you don’t want a large skylight in, you can also get them with what I call dampers so you can shut the light off if you want to, you twist the housing in the room and it blocks off the light. I really like the larger 2’ x 4’ skylights, but in some circumstances it can also not be ideal, if you’ve gotten a room at the TV it can really wash out your picture and sometimes be almost too much light, you do get a pretty direct light from them at times, the tubes are completely indirect light it’s like having a light fixture, Not overpowering, but you will find yourself thinking you left the light on all the time! LOL

Properly installed there is no worry of leaks either, We do a few more things than what they call for in installation to make sure they don’t leak

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks good, it’s a lot of work! I know!! How may layers of roofing did you strip?
Two layers. The top (nailed) came off pretty easy. The bottom layer (stapled) was much harder to remove. And the staples don’t come out, so I had to go over the whole roof and pull every staple by hand.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep telling them to get gutters, but they don’t want to spend the money.. :rolleyes:

I guess if the house is Stucco then it's not as big of a deal as long as they have galvanized or synthetic screeds, but I'd still do formed beds of pea gravel to disperse the water.

Awesome work on the roof - you sure are a master carpenter/craftsman. I get to replace my shop roof this spring but that's easy-peasy.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two layers. The top (nailed) came off pretty easy. The bottom layer (stapled) was much harder to remove. And the staples don’t come out, so I had to go over the whole roof and pull every staple by hand.
Nice, they outlawed staples a long time ago in our county, so we don’t come across it much, except manufactured homes, they only have to conform to hud rules, and can be built out of area too. I hate roofs that had wood shingles und asphalt single, major pain! Lol dressing out the roof Is always fun!

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice, they outlawed staples a long time ago in our county, so we don’t come across it much, except manufactured homes, they only have to conform to hud rules, and can be built out of area too. I hate roofs that had wood shingles und asphalt single, major pain! Lol dressing out the roof Is always fun!
Not allowed here either, but that layer of roofing was 30+ yrs old. House was built in the 60s, but I think the roof had been replaced once already, because some of the decking had been replaced with redwood boards at some point.

I’m just glad to be done with it so I can move on to the next job.

LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finished the trim.
Now to make a threshold and coat the LVL in epoxy.

This working from home deal if giving me lots of time to get this house wrapped up finally.

BABACCE6-C843-482D-9C9D-B096FB6B4AC7.jpeg ED96FAF4-C4D1-47AB-844E-A045B1CA1AAE.jpeg

Last edited: