Common Battery Platform?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the concerns about battery powered tools, including chainsaws, is that each brand has unique batteries that are not compatible with tools produced by other companies. Some companies even have different lines which are not compatible with others made by the same company. This is different than gas chainsaws, which use mixed gas from any company, and corded electric chainsaws, which use any conventional extension cord.

So I was really interested to see this in my Facebook feed: a common battery platform to be shared across multiple manufacturers and brands of tools.

www.powerforall-alliance.com

Includes some big name manufacturers. Not sure how it affects existing products. Not sure where it is going, but will be interesting to watch.

279A9372-D10F-4BFA-9096-65C7C51EDD4B.jpeg

Philbert

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far I have:
- supermarket brand 14.4V and 18V
- Makita 14.4V in two variations incompatible with each other
- Makita 18V in two variations incompatible with each other
- Dolmar 36V (tool + battery/charger) and Makita 36V (batteries only) interchangeable on the Dolmar tool, but incompatible with each other when it comes to charging (different chargers, I had to purchase a dedicated Makita charger the other day to be able to utilize the Makita 36V battery packs I purchased a while ago).

I am increasingly annoyed by the numerous differences and incompatibilities.
A law should be passed to require manufacturers to ensure cross compatibility between models AND brands!

On the German "used" market I see a trend of users abandoning Makita battery powered systems in favor for other brands.
This occasionally makes for great deals to be had if one is quick enough and with cash in his account.

Last edited:

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
1:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That list doesn’t include the top brands nor will it ever I think.

A law forcing such a thing!? Lol, That will never happen (thankfully) in the states.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll stick with my Dewalt 20v max. At least the batteries fit all the 20volt tools they sale.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some manufacturers like proprietary systems, because it forces customers to stay with them for replacement parts and accessories.

It is possible to “standardize“ things like batteries, without forcing any choices. For example, many manufacturers make lightbulbs that fit sockets from other lamp manufacturers. But there are still many different types and sizes of lightbulbs. Something similar could be done with tool batteries.

It would certainly be beneficial for consumers, and reduce and enormous amount of e-waste.

Philbert

IEL Fan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The day phone/tablet chargers are compatible across all lines.....I believe, then you can move forward. Had steel rims on cars for decades, can someone tell me why Dodge thinks their 5 hole rim pattern is superior to say a Chey 5 bolt hole rim pattern? There are billions of cars on the planet all with rims to fit their own bolt pattern, yet we standardized the top post terminals on car batteries....lol, every 12v car plug/lighter in is the same.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a 'right to repair' bill put before congress and was removed/quashed by several senators from both parties. Every world environmental agency, leading industry repair shop representatives endorsed it, it was great legislation that would vastly benefit both the consumer and environment. But, those damn lobbyists and their checkbooks got to the public's representatives and killed it. Its good to see this battery platform sharing idea but I wouldn't hold your breath, it makes too much sense.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far I have:
- supermarket brand 14.4V and 18V
- Makita 14.4V in two variations incompatible with each other
- Makita 18V in two variations incompatible with each other
- Dolmar 36V (tool + battery/charger) and Makita 36V (batteries only) interchangeable on the Dolmar tool, but incompatible with each other when it comes to charging (different chargers, I had to purchase a dedicated Makita charger the other day to be able to utilize the Makita 36V battery packs I purchased a while ago).

I am increasingly annoyed by the numerous differences and incompatibilities.
A law should be passed to require manufacturers to ensure cross compatibility between models AND brands!

On the German "used" market I see a trend of users abandoning Makita battery powered systems in favor for other brands.
This occasionally makes for great deals to be had if one is quick enough and with cash in his account.

The Makita 18v variants are compatible with each other once you cut the extra bump off the side of the slide in area of the battery.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Makita 18v variants are compatible with each other once you cut the extra bump off the side of the slide in area of the battery.
o_O

IMG_20220616_190252.jpg IMG_20220616_190259.jpg IMG_20220616_190319.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The day phone/tablet chargers are compatible across all lines.....I believe, then you can move forward. Had steel rims on cars for decades, can someone tell me why Dodge thinks their 5 hole rim pattern is superior to say a Chey 5 bolt hole rim pattern? There are billions of cars on the planet all with rims to fit their own bolt pattern, yet we standardized the top post terminals on car batteries....lol, every 12v car plug/lighter in is the same.
I believe that in the Europe Union a bill was passed that all new devices/gadgets have to incorporate a USB-C charge port.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aside from Voltage and Amp-hour ratings for battery packs, some may also have circuitry that is integrated with control circuits in the tool. Not sure how those would work, or cause issues, with different brands/models.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used battery packs
too ease production, maybe they will just make all devices USB-C.....please!
It is not a matter of production, but rather a matter of excess E-Waste coming from charger incompatibilities between devices.

With recycling percentages still being low most E-Waste ends up in landfills and incineration facilities.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But a USB-C has only 5V output.
Not entirely correct.
I believe USB-C charging supports up to 20V/4A on dedicated Super Fast chargers.
I do not have one of those, but I have some Fast Chargers that are exceeding the 5V rating.
To fully utilize these chargers the devices being charged must support them, otherwise they will simply charge at 5V.

IMG_20220617_120043~2.jpg

IMG_20220617_120305~2.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quote:

For example, USB Type-C alone can support up to 5 volts at 3 amps (15 W), while USB Type-C with USB PD (USB Power Delivery) allows the ecosystem to support several power levels up to a maximum of 20 volts at 5 amps (100 W).
Now USB PD “Power Rules” replace Power Profiles, defining four voltage levels at 5, 9, 15 and 20 volts. Instead of six fixed levels, power supplies may support any maximum source output power from 0.5 to 100 watts. Sources supplying more than 15 watts offer voltages of 5 and 9 volts, those supplying more than 27 watts offer 5, 9 and 15 volts, and those supplying more than 45 watts offer 5, 9, 15 and 20 volts.

TNason01

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably not super relevant for OPE usage, but a whole bunch of specialty European tool brands have developed their new tools to work with Metabo style batteries. It is called the Cordless Alliance System. 32 brands at present. I found out about it when we bought a Gesipa cordless riveter at work and it arrived with Metabo batteries