Common Battery Platform?

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am a professional making a living that includes using cordless power tools.
I have 3 different brands in my arsenal: Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Metabo/Hitachi.
With the modern smart technology that is being included in the battery pack to communicate with the tool, I do not expect Dewalt and Milwaukee to be compatible.
If I was making a new tool and/or battery technology, I would not appreciate the stifling effect of being forced into compatibility with an old technology. The freedom to build the tool you want to build is part of what drives innovation.
In the professional world, I am interested in the fastest and best technology to get the job done.
This is my opinion on the matter. I have approximately $10K just in cordless tools.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be nice but it will probably never happen. That’s how a company keeps you invested in their line. I’m a auto mechanic and body man that does plenty of home electrical, plumbing, carpentry etc on the side or at home. Back in the day I had snap on, IR, Matco, Milwaukee, etc. got sick of having 5 different chargers and batteries. Unfortunately back then the auto brands were the only ones making good cordless impacts. Once Milwaukee started making automotive oriented tools I sold everything and switched 100% over to them. Soooo much easier and cheaper. I use their m12 and m18 line and for the most part love it. Sure every once in a while a different brand makes a tool you wish you had but such is life. They do make battery adapters?

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I even use some of their OPE tools…sure are handy at times!

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got tired of having too many types of batteries and chargers in the garage -- mostly stuff for wrenching on my cars -- drills, grinders, sawzall, circular saw, impacts, etc. Ditched all my non-compatible stuff and went exclusively to Milwaukee M18. It was painful at first, but really simplified things.

I was loyal to M18 until a few months ago, when I bought an M12 3/8" compact impact driver. It was worth it -- that sucker has some serious oomph.

I want to buy a battery powered chainsaw and now I have a conundrum -- do I buy the Stihl, so all my user saws match? Or go with the Milwaukee M18 saw so all my battery powered stuff matches?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For occasional use, stick with your battery platform.

For serious use, consider a separate battery platform for OPE. It’s easy to move to pole saws, string trimmers, leaf blowers, lawnmowers, etc.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do I buy the Stihl, so all my user saws match?

With gas saws, there is some logic to staying with one brand. Years ago, I helped manage a fleet of about 27 chainsaws, comprised of 5 different STIHL models. At that time, they all used the same bar nuts, spark plugs etc. And they all operated similarly, with STIHL’s ‘Master Control Switch’, which made training easier.

But with the battery saws, about the only thing they have in common is the color. Go buy a couple of cans of Krylon if it bothers you!

Philbert

Mad Professor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They make adapters for $15 so you can run the newer M18 batteries in older 18V Milwaukee tools. That is a good upgrade for the older tools. The adapter is not bulky and also has a usb adapter so can charge a phone off the tool battery.

I found this out when I got a boxfull of the older Milwaukee 18V tools for $20 at an auction.

milwaukee haul.jpg

1 millwaukee.png

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention. Most adapters have a tiny draw on the battery. So if you are not using the tool take the battery out. This is true for some tools also.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell, I wish there were more options for corded electric tools. I absolutely love my Makita plug in 1/2" impact.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look up the torque test channel on YouTube, it’s entertaining. He dyno’s impact tools, air and electric, tests all the different batteries, and it doesn’t always make sense, but then he dives into that, like the m18 6ah out preforming the 12Ah battery for torque on most of the impacts. And then he opens it up an it has Tesla batteries and the others are different Samsung batteries, and most of the manufacturers use the same batteries on different tools with different interfaces. The channel has taught me a lot

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was at a contractor’s tool show today. Bosch rep said that progress is being made on the common European battery platform. Thought that there would be announcements in 2023.

Can only watch and wait.

Philbert