Combustion chamber in the wrong spot??

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, you tried. Not much more you could have done better except run Klotz so it would at least smell good while apart on the bench.

Do you think cast iron just can't transfer heat fast enough?
Is the piston diameter or alloy not right for an iron bore?
Do Iron bore saws normally have more cooling surface area and bigger fans? You already have to cut off a lot of the cooling fins just to fit such a big bore cylinder under the hood. Maybe this is a race only idea.

I'd like to see you make a diesel saw. There are non fuel injected 2 strokes in existence. You might need spark or something to start them with. Sometimes they route the fuel line around something hot (muffler or cylinder) to preheat it.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
9:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, you tried. Not much more you could have done better except run Klotz so it would at least smell good while apart on the bench.

Do you think cast iron just can't transfer heat fast enough?
Is the piston diameter or alloy not right for an iron bore?
Do Iron bore saws normally have more cooling surface area and bigger fans? You already have to cut off a lot of the cooling fins just to fit such a big bore cylinder under the hood. Maybe this is a race only idea.

I'd like to see you make a diesel saw. There are non fuel injected 2 strokes in existence. You might need spark or something to start them with. Sometimes they route the fuel line around something hot (muffler or cylinder) to preheat it.

I think a lot of it is the lack of proper fueling and airflow. After the first couple of sticks it seemed to settle in. And nowhere near as warm on the top cover.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A mark on the aluminum can really fool you into thinking you exposed a passage in the carb, but you have to make sure with a magnifier and better light. I had a hard time determining if I went too far on 2511t carbs, but turns out I never did, it was just an illusion. I would have machined where the big screw hole was, there's no passages there as far as I know.

So, there's only 1mm thick of aluminum holding that cylinder together? I wonder how much strength the sleeve adds.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for reference, this piston is from a GM direct injected 1.5L gas turbocharged engine.
View attachment 348289

Plenty of edges and ridges on it. The dished portion is where the fuel injector nozzle directs the fuel, straight into the dish.
My god that piston looks like hell. What the hell they run in that thing crude oil? You always have nasty engines to work on.

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a normal Diesel Piston. I haven't seen other ones in my Life.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here is the full build.
Ive seen you doing a couple of big bores for other people, you must have quite a bit faith in the process at this point. Anything you learned that really solidified it for you?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive seen you doing a couple of big bores for other people, you must have quite a bit faith in the process at this point. Anything you learned that really solidified it for you?

Nothing really, other than the disclaimer it will work till it dosent. Lol

It's not a big deal going 1-2mm over just getting the sizes right is the biggest thing.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats your take on the port volumes being reduced by over boring? I mean ive got some old 10-10 's that are factory over bore (.020 and.030) and the absolutely feel strong.
I don’t think it’s a volume thing as much as a direction thing. Less swoop blowing the charge flat across the piston underneath the remnants of the spent charge once the bore is widened

Last edited: