SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello,

I am looking for ideas on the most efficient ways to clean up something like what is pictured below. I also don't have access to a parts washer. I do have a power washer but that can damage plastic and the spray force can blow the object being cleaned across the driveway. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0802.JPG

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I useCastrol super clean, let it sit for awhile and then hit it with a garden hose and a nice spray nozzle. No idea if it’s bad for plastics but it cleans great. None of my saws have disintegrated

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I must admit that I have never used a garden hose with a spray nozzle on a chainsaw case, but I do use brushes that I have made in my shop and others along with strong solvents. Maybe Chiselbit has an idea here. Blast the thing, but make sure you dry it off a lot.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Recently due to my parts solvent cost going through the roof. I've started using off road diesel. And in your case a five gallon bucket with three gallons of diesel fuel would clean that in about five minutes or less.

Errybody needs more campfire starter. Three gallons will clean lots of saw parts then start many a fire for you.

Steven

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Through the years a number of guys have said they used the dishwasher. The married guys say they get a cheap, used one, and hook it up in the garage or basement.

If you soak the case for a while, in a suitable solvent/cleaner a lot of that will come off with light brushing. So having an assortment of brushes helps.

I use sharpened popsicle sticks, wooden kebab skewers, and nylon bristles scavenged from the rotary snow brushes (used on campuses, city sidewalks, etc.) to scrape away stuff in crevices without scratching. Baby bottle brushes work good too. Also, compressed air (if you don’t mind making a mess).

Water based solvent cleaners can be hosed off: just make sure that they are OK for the aluminum or magnesium parts.

Philbert

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use Castrol super clean, let it sit for awhile and then hit it with a garden hose and a nice spray nozzle. No idea if it’s bad for plastics but it cleans great. None of my saws have disintegrated

If either of the attached MSDS sheets is the product that you are referring to it appears to be a water based caustic de-greaser like Simple Green and a bunch of others. Seems like it would take a lot of de-greaser to cut through all of that bar oil.

Attachments

• 2016-SuperClean-Degreaser-SDS-v2.0.pdf
    210.3 KB · Views: 1
  • castrol_superclean_cleaner_degreaser.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 0

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Recently due to my parts solvent cost going through the roof. I've started using off road diesel. And in your case a five gallon bucket with three gallons of diesel fuel would clean that in about five minutes or less.

I am currently using diesel but not in dipping quantities. Just slathering it on with a brush.

Everybody needs more campfire starter. Three gallons will clean lots of saw parts then start many a fire for you.

The real issue is what do you do with the diesel between uses or dispose of it after you are done. I am currently recycling small quantities of it with used motor oil. I live in a subdivision where open burning is not permitted and where it is usually too warm to need/want a fire.

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Through the years a number of guys have said they used the dishwasher. The married guys say they get a cheap, used one, and hook it up in the garage or basement.

I don't have any place to do this. Small house and small garage. I think that the neighbors would object if I put it on the front porch!

If you soak the case for a while, in a suitable solvent/cleaner a lot of that will come off with light brushing. So having an assortment of brushes helps.

I use sharpened popsicle sticks, wooden kebab skewers, and nylon bristles scavenged from the rotary snow brushes (used on campuses, city sidewalks, etc.) to scrape away stuff in crevices without scratching. Baby bottle brushes work good too.

This is my current method using diesel/kerosene and a variety of old paint brushes. but it takes a lot of time and makes such a big mess that I do this out in the natural area in front of the garage.

...Also, compressed air (if you don’t mind making a mess).

Talk about making a mess! The air blows everything all over everywhere including me! Almost need a bunny suit but that would be unworkable with the current temperatures and humidity.

Well, maybe I should turn down the air pressure, currently at about 60 psi?

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am currently using diesel but not in dipping quantities. Just slathering it on with a brush.

The real issue is what do you do with the diesel between uses or dispose of it after you are done. I am currently recycling small quantities of it with used motor oil. I live in a subdivision where open burning is not permitted and where it is usually too warm to need/want a fire.

I just snap a lid on the bucket and slide it under the bench. It's fuel oil. Yes it's flammable/combustible, but it doesn't expand or vaporize like gasoline does. So a fair bit safer to store. Probably safer than a gallon can of mix gas or a few quarts of true fuel if you thin about it.

If you really need to get rid of it quickly most oil change shops will take it even if it's straight diesel. It is much easier to get rid of in bulk than any other solvent. The local gm dealer in town will take every jug of oil or diesel they can get. They heat with waste oil. So they really don't care so long as it doesn't have much water/antifreeze in it.

Steven

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just snap a lid on the bucket and slide it under the bench. It's fuel oil. Yes it's flammable/combustible, but it doesn't expand or vaporize like gasoline does. So a fair bit safer to store. Probably safer than a gallon can of mix gas or a few quarts of true fuel if you thin about it.

Yes, diesel has a non-hazardous (non-explosive) designation. So if you save a couple or 3 gallons of used diesel what do you do the next time that you need it? it is now full of dirt and sawdust from previous uses. Do you siphon the good stuff off of the top into another bucket? If you dunk another carcass you will just stir up all the crud in the bottom of the bucket.

If you really need to get rid of it quickly most oil change shops will take it even if it's straight diesel. It is much easier to get rid of in bulk than any other solvent. The local gm dealer in town will take every jug of oil or diesel they can get. They heat with waste oil. So they really don't care so long as it doesn't have much water/antifreeze in it.

I thought that they stopped heating with waste oil due to all of the heavy metals in it. In any case our town will pickup (and hopefully properly recycle/re-refine) used motor oil. My contribution usually contains a little sawdust, a little dirt, a little diesel, and a little old pre-mix!

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, diesel has a non-hazardous (non-explosive) designation. So if you save a couple or 3 gallons of used diesel what do you do the next time that you need it? it is now full of dirt and sawdust from previous uses. Do you siphon the good stuff off of the top into another bucket? If you dunk another carcass you will just stir up all the crud in the bottom of the bucket.

I thought that they stopped heating with waste oil due to all of the heavy metals in it. In any case our town will pickup (and hopefully properly recycle/re-refine) used motor oil. My contribution usually contains a little sawdust, a little dirt, a little diesel, and a little old pre-mix!

I just let it settle to the bottom never a issue. Shake the tar out of it when I pour it into the drum at the gm garage. They screen it before it goes to the main tank.

Commercial waste oil furnaces are still widely used. So no shortage of places to get rid of the stuff.

Steven

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7D55258D-A828-4F1E-A361-C70E044AEE6B.jpeg
This is the stuff that I use to clean chains with baked on gunk, bars, etc. Mix 50/50. Less than $10 / gallon at Menards. Soak for a couple of minutes, then clean off most with a toothbrush, or the scraping tools described above. Rinse with water.

The caution I mention is that it cuts grease really well because it contains sodium hydroxide (lye), which can damage aluminum with extended contact. Not sure about magnesium.

Non-flammable, and does not have the diesel odor (I often work in my basement).

I blow off stuff with compressed air in my yard (chips, etc.). If you have cleaned the heavy grease off already, as above, it can help clean out small crevices, etc. Wear safety glasses and old clothes. But it’s not a disaster.

Whatever works for you.

Philbert

SteveSr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 348265
This is the stuff that I use to clean chains with baked on gunk, bars, etc. Mix 50/50. Less than $10 / gallon at Menards. Soak for a couple of minutes, then clean off most with a toothbrush, or the scraping tools described above. Rinse with water.

The caution I mention is that it cuts grease really well because it contains sodium hydroxide (lye), which can damage aluminum with extended contact. Not sure about magnesium.

Non-flammable, and does not have the diesel odor (I often work in my basement).

I blow off stuff with compressed air in my yard (chips, etc.). If you have cleaned the heavy grease off already, as above, it can help clean out small crevices, etc. Wear safety glasses and old clothes. But it’s not a disaster.

Whatever works for you.

Philbert

This and any lye/caustic cleaners work REALLY well on organic crud like tree/pine sap. I was taking down a hickory tree and the chain got all gunked up. Kerosene wouldn't touch it so in desperation I put it in an old can with simple green in a double boiler on the stove. It cleaned that chain up like brand new!

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SteveSr said. "I like that shopping basket idea for holding parts while spraying!"
--------------------------
So do I. Fast draining, as if it were in a dish strainer. Then you can pick it up and shake it. You just have to be sure that the parts inside the basket aren't too small so that a few might fall out by mistake anyway.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have power washed a case at short distance, I used an old bar and nuts. Place the saw on something that elevates it, I just step on the bar to hold it, and flip as needed. 12" or so will be plenty safe with 40 degree nozzle and just don't stand still.

I also started using dawn power wash it isn't caustic and it cuts the crud like budda

Last edited: