Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do what you do that gives you comfort. Just found this thread, been a member for a little while. Its comforting to know that its here. This Covid thing has really disrupted life and with that meetings. You've got Zoom but it aint the same. Since I came into the rooms in '86 I have always enjoyed the company of other people with addiction. There's alot more to learn about somebody if you're talking with em face to face and looking in their eyes than over a computer. Its just different. We have a bunch of good people around me who hold meetings in parks or at their homes. Its good to hear people in person. Seems to get me on track better. I've had my challenges, beleive me, but once I put my faith in God he has never let me down. Congrats Randy and all the folks here who have kept clean and sober one day at a time. Its a hard thing putting it down and people without the disease really cant comprehend what we've gone through. But here we are. This covid thing might last a year or so, but putting up with it sure beats the hell out of waking up day after day with the hideous four horsemen year after year. Terror, bewilderment, frustration, dispair. Carry on!

Great post Tom. Glad to have you here sharing your recovery.

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Congrats everyone.

Lost a good friend of mine a year ago because of alcohol addiction in his early 30s.
Was clean for 9 months after rehabilitation and then little by little screwed himself up again and eventually heart just gave up.
Maybe a 2-3 weeks before he died, he finnaly bought himself a combine harvester which about he dreamed for years, but he never managed to try it out.
Probably the most hardworking man i have ever known.

If you are clean for some time and want "just a bit", dont, really just dont.

Glad i still dont have literally any urges for alcohol, unlike most of my age-mates.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What gives me comfort is acceptance. We are all far from perfect.

We all want to be loved, and accepted. Although, being the person I really want to be is most important for me. If I'm not happy with me....I can't expect anyone else to be happy with me either.

Slumberjack

Team OPE benchwarmer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We all want to be loved, and accepted. Although, being the person I really want to be is most important for me. If I'm not happy with me....I can't expect anyone else to be happy with me either.
You have never given bad advice and I appreciate it.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
4:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very true Randy. Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. Whenever somebody or something gets into my head, I've got to take a step back and see what it really means to my life. Sometimes you have to accept the situation even though you dont like it. The short version of that is "is it what is is" at this given moment.
I lost my very best friend to this disease. Knew him for 50 years. He died when he was 52. Every oriface in his body was bleeding from drinking too much. Every once in a lifetime you get a friend that you love unconditionally, given the human condition, and that love is returned. We went through alot together. Even though I moved away at 8, we used to visit one another during the summer, or just hang out at random weeks during our life. When he got married on a boat in Scituate Harbor, there only was his immediate family, his wifes family, and me. It was a 57' boat and we had one hell of a time climbing aboard that thing! Almost missed his wedding we got so drunk the night before. I miss the hell out of being able just to hear his voice. I got sober and he never did. Doesnt change the way I think about him or the kind of person he was. We are survivors. My sponsor who had almost 50 years when he died told me God loves drunks and puppies! He's got to being the fact that I'm still breathing when in all respects I shouldnt be. I have truly been blessed, not because I think I've been chosen, but because I have turned my will and my life over to him. Still dont go to church, know many good church going people with good principles. My peace and serenity are byproducts of my lifestyle. If I'm running low on either one, time to re-evaluate wherr I'm at and what I'm doing. Remember, its a journey, not a destination. If you aint learning you're doing something wrong!!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very true Randy. Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. Whenever somebody or something gets into my head, I've got to take a step back and see what it really means to my life. Sometimes you have to accept the situation even though you dont like it. The short version of that is "is it what is is" at this given moment.
I lost my very best friend to this disease. Knew him for 50 years. He died when he was 52. Every oriface in his body was bleeding from drinking too much. Every once in a lifetime you get a friend that you love unconditionally, given the human condition, and that love is returned. We went through alot together. Even though I moved away at 8, we used to visit one another during the summer, or just hang out at random weeks during our life. When he got married on a boat in Scituate Harbor, there only was his immediate family, his wifes family, and me. It was a 57' boat and we had one hell of a time climbing aboard that thing! Almost missed his wedding we got so drunk the night before. I miss the hell out of being able just to hear his voice. I got sober and he never did. Doesnt change the way I think about him or the kind of person he was. We are survivors. My sponsor who had almost 50 years when he died told me God loves drunks and puppies! He's got to being the fact that I'm still breathing when in all respects I shouldnt be. I have truly been blessed, not because I think I've been chosen, but because I have turned my will and my life over to him. Still dont go to church, know many good church going people with good principles. My peace and serenity are byproducts of my lifestyle. If I'm running low on either one, time to re-evaluate wherr I'm at and what I'm doing. Remember, its a journey, not a destination. If you aint learning you're doing something wrong!!

I'm so sorry he never got sober. It's tough losing someone you care about to the disease. I know it all too well.

In Narcotics Anonymous we say the our literature is written in the blood of those who never got clean.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm so sorry he never got sober. It's tough losing someone you care about to the disease. I know it all too well.

In Narcotics Anonymous we say the our literature is written in the blood of those who never got clean.

Amen! No regrets, I cherish the time we had together. The good thing is he brought up 3 good kids that I hope dont have the disease. I've buried alot of good people to this disease, and it makes me realize just how precious life is. Gods got a purpose for all of us, no sense playing Russian roullette. Thing is is that today I have a choice of how I look at life. Too much negativity around us. Being a mentor and an example to my grandkids is my goal nowadays. They come up with the darndest things!! Lol

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amen! No regrets, I cherish the time we had together. The good thing is he brought up 3 good kids that I hope dont have the disease. I've buried alot of good people to this disease, and it makes me realize just how precious life is. Gods got a purpose for all of us, no sense playing Russian roullette. Thing is is that today I have a choice of how I look at life. Too much negativity around us. Being a mentor and an example to my grandkids is my goal nowadays. They come up with the darndest things!! Lol

My granddaughter's boyfriend, Austin, The Bubba, and my old ass got a nice load of hardwood out and split yesterday. I enjoy doing stuff with the boys like that. Couldn't be a good example for em if I was still getting loaded.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats great! Yeah, just being out in the woods with family or friends lightens my load a bit. My SIL asked me if I would go hunting with him, he wants to get back into it. I said I think its a great idea. I think its going to be fun! Cant wait to see him with a gutting knife!! Lol

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve had insomnia my whole life. It’s nothing new for me. I also enjoy reading myself. It’s very helpful.
two points... some people need less "sleep" then others... you might be one of those... but... i had trouble sleeping as well. it literally took me a long time to "train" my brain to sleep...just like training to run a marathon... a few minutes longer each night. im doing much better with it now. my life was messed up not sleeping... a whole bunch of "medical problems " were sleep related..

and you fit right in with this bunch o misfit broken men in this forum... we are chainsaw enthusiasts which by default makes us a fukt up bunch...

Slumberjack

Team OPE benchwarmer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
two points... some people need less "sleep" then others... you might be one of those... but... i had trouble sleeping as well. it literally took me a long time to "train" my brain to sleep...just like training to run a marathon... a few minutes longer each night. im doing much better with it now. my life was messed up not sleeping... a whole bunch of "medical problems " were sleep related..

and you fit right in with this bunch o misfit broken men in this forum... we are chainsaw enthusiasts which by default makes us a fukt up bunch...
I have an adrenal disorder or a brain disorder causing my adrenal glands to run WAO. No doctors can figure out how to fix it or what the cause. Been that way my whole life. I just can’t calm down.

Slumberjack

Team OPE benchwarmer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My granddaughter's boyfriend, Austin, The Bubba, and my old ass got a nice load of hardwood out and split yesterday. I enjoy doing stuff with the boys like that. Couldn't be a good example for em if I was still getting loaded.
When I became a father 12 years ago I felt the same. There’s no handbook on being the best human you can be but I always know when I do wrong and learn from it. When I feel bad it’s my conscience saying you can do better. In that it tells me I’m a good person even if I make mistakes.