Clean chain anyone??

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of the chains I ‘saved’ in that A.S. thread were just to experiment with different methods, and to see what worked. Some chains (and other stuff) are not worth the effort.

Occasionally, someone will have a ‘no-longer-available’ chain that they just want to display with a restored saw of a certain vintage, but don’t plan on really using it.

Philbert

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys have chains that last long enough to rust?! o_O
Yes some have customers that toss a dull in the toolbox on the truck bed and bring them several months later rusted. Or like the lst where the chain were just toss in the truck bed and allowed then to be rained out.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes some have customers that toss a dull in the toolbox on the truck bed and bring them several months later rusted. Or like the lst where the chain were just toss in the truck bed and allowed then to be rained out.

I was just funnin’ for the most part! As a logger I use mine up long before they rust, BUT I am just as guilty for tossing a dull one in the back of the pickup from time to time and forgetting about it until it starts to turn red.. But I only make myself mad at that point when it comes time to grind! Ha!

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A good sharp chain will stay plenty clean. I have picked up used chains that are unrecognizable. I will have to try the lye trick.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i usually just put some gas in a foil baking pan and use a parts cleaning brush on them then blow them off with the air hose and grind. if they are really bad i use a wire brush like pine pitch or other sappy chains

old saw fixer

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i usually just put some gas in a foil baking pan and use a parts cleaning brush on them then blow them off with the air hose and grind. if they are really bad i use a wire brush like pine pitch or other sappy chains
A foot tub with a couple of gallons of "odorless" mineral spirits woks as well. Swish the chain around and blow it off. I'll spray the dry chain with some WD-40 let it soak in and blow the chain off again. Takes time but I have plenty of that.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
mineral spirits would probably work better. the reason i use gas is because its the cheapest solvent around although its getting expensive its still cheaper than any other solvent at the hardware store. the days of two dollars a gallon fore acetone or mineral spirits and all of the other petrol based solvents are gone but the high demand for gas keeps it cheaper

old saw fixer

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
mineral spirits would probably work better. the reason i use gas is because its the cheapest solvent around although its getting expensive its still cheaper than any other solvent at the hardware store. the days of two dollars a gallon fore acetone or mineral spirits and all of the other petrol based solvents are gone but the high demand for gas keeps it cheaper
You sure have that right! I cut a round cover for my bucket to slow evaporation. Maybe the oil in mixed fuel would deter rusting, lol!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of that stuff is very flammable. The organic vapors are also not good for you to breathe, or to absorb through your skin. Make sure to use them outside.

I often work in my basement, so prefer the water or citrus based degreasers. Probably cheaper too, when properly diluted.

Philbert

Last edited:

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of that stuff is very flammable. The organic vapors are also not good for you to breathe, or to absorb through your skin. Make sure to use them outside.

I often work in my basement, so prefer the water or citrus based degreasers. Probably cheaper too, when properly diluted.

Philbert
i like the citrus stuff too but the chains dry way faster with gas and they dont rust. i dont spend a lot of time on them either. if they are really bad i stretch them out on the tailgate of my truck and use a stiff wire brush on them