Chimney Fires!

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a little tip we use at FD is to bag up CO powder in 2 gallon zip-loc bags and when we have a chimney fire we close damper and throw down flue and the CO powder takes the 0xygen from fire

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
2:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was always told to let em burn . but I have always had full masonry chimneys

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
burn potato peelings and mix some aluminum cola cans in with the fire to help keep creosote down.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
or burn seasoned wood and clean the chimney twice during burning season.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heard aluminum cans, but am interested to hear from those with experience.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know where we got it from, but we always did potato peelings too. I've heard and tried aluminum cans too, but how much it helped??? A good hot fire does the most. I took the pipe dampers off of my stoves 2 years ago and my chimney has been far cleaner.

olympyk_999

there is no better mod than CANTGITRIGHT!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I burn 24/7 as long as its below 40 deg, and my chimney gets pretty dirty, as I choke it down while I'm at work, or over night, so I don't have to re start it all the time, I do burn it hot when I reload for a good 20-30 minutes, in the morning/night, or longer if I'm home, but it still gets pretty dirty, I clean it about once a month when I'm burning, and that keeps it under control, its always dry creosote, none of that glassy *s-word that burns real easy...

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try to burn my wood stove hot once a day

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The first year I burned wood I woke up hearing a strange noise in the house. At that time our bedroom was right next to our chimney. I went to the other room to see sparks coming out of the chimney.

Oh chit

I went down to the wood furnace and the black pipe from the furnace to the chimney was glowing red, but by that point everything was calmed down.

That was one of those sphincter puckering moments.

Magic or not, ever since then I've been tossing in a empty pop can in the stove every other day and I have yet to have a problem. It's been 5 years now and at the end of every season I inspect my chimney and it is always really clean.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The first year I burned wood I woke up hearing a strange noise in the house. At that time our bedroom was right next to our chimney. I went to the other room to see sparks coming out of the chimney.

Oh chit

I went down to the wood furnace and the black pipe from the furnace to the chimney was glowing red, but by that point everything was calmed down.

That was one of those sphincter puckering moments.

Magic or not, ever since then I've been tossing in a empty pop can in the stove every other day and I have yet to have a problem. It's been 5 years now and at the end of every season I inspect my chimney and it is always really clean.
Let me guess, it doesn't even need cleaning?