Chaps Work Too

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also found the Labonville chaps a bit stiff. I find the STIHL chaps to be pretty comfortable, although, there is always a personal fit issue.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, the Clogger pants and chaps are surprisingly comfortable to wear. Like: 'Are these really going to protect me?' comfortable. They went out of their way to design thin, light protective fabrics, instead of using less expensive, bulkier materials. They carry US and EU certifications:

https://opeforum.com/threads/clogger-chainsaw-chaps-evaluation.20077/

https://opeforum.com/threads/clogger-zero-pants.21442/

Philbert
I can vouch for the cloggers. I never use anything else these days

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure I cheated the odds way too long.
Bought husky chaps at TSC, black, 75 bucks.
They seem to fit ok.

I normally where Weinbrenner military steel toe boots.
If, there were a product that laced into the boots to protect between steel toe and bottom of chaps,,,,

New gloves are next.

Be aware and stay sharp guys.

I did get a minor cut from a diamond concrete saw once,
wakes you right up.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If, there were a product that laced into the boots to protect between steel toe and bottom of chaps,,,,

A few options:

- chainsaw protective boots will have chaps-like protective material up to the tops of the boots.

- 'metatarsal' work boots include a protective tongue up the front of the boots, in addition to a steel/protective toe: these are often required in steel mills, etc.

- there are also strap-on metatarsal guards that fit over work boots and shoes, but some of these can be a little clunky.

- sizing the length of your chaps to fit low over your boots would help. My Clogger Zero protective pants have a small hook at the bottom, which engages into the boot laces, to help hold them in place https://opeforum.com/threads/clogger-zero-pants.21442/

- chainsaw protective spats and gaiters are available (Google search those terms). I have not tried any, and cannot comment on them.

Philbert

Last edited:

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wear whatever brand or type you want. Something is better than nothing. 3 weeks ago up here, a fellow cut his leg just below the groin. He will not get a second chance.
Strange thing though, I see fire and ambulance members cutting trees without any ppe.

Labonville for me because they were the only ones that had the length that I needed.

MHHPartner

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Learned my lesson a couple of weeks back.

Getting a Hurricane Ida tree off of a house. Walking the trunk cutting limbs off and got a little careless in tight quarters.

Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it looks. Blood thinners make any injury more dramatic!IMG_20210902_133314476.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yikes! Speaking of chaps, doesn't someone make shin guards for weed eater use? I've seen lawn guys using them but don't know if it is a factory product or something they cobbled together.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yikes! Speaking of chaps, doesn't someone make shin guards for weed eater use? I've seen lawn guys using them but don't know if it is a factory product or something they cobbled together.
‘Trimmer Chaps’ are sold by a number of places. Some look deceptively similar to chainsaw chaps, but they do not provide the same protection.

Philbert

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was exhausted and the 32” bar 288 is heavy. Tight spot cleaning limbs to fell. I have birdlegs like @Mastermind so it probably would have pulled a chip off the bone. Chain was pretty well slowed down though. Would have had to patch it up and finish wedging/cutting the tree.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw chaps work good, or double-knee Carhartts. I used to wear the saw chaps but I hate the heat so I switched to double-front jeans, now I just wear single-front Carhartts when I weedeat.

TheWizard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its so easy to think "i'll only cut a few" but thats the very time youll get hit, a split second and its over. I tried chaps but find them awkward so always wear trousers with either full all around protection or lately been using just front protection which is a bit lighter but wouldnt cut without them, you have to be sensible but sadly some learn the hard way.