Chains

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry guys, I have to do it even though I am sure this dead horse has been beaten before.

The reason is because I am fed up with Oregon which has been a long time favorite of mine.

Not a fan of Stihl for two reasons:
1) Too expensive
2) Too hard to file and file life too short.

What is the current reasonably priced chain?

3/8" X .050" x 84DL

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, here's my humble opinion. Oh, I use a grinder so I can't really say what any of these are like to hand file.
- Husqvarna x cut (c83) is the sharpest, best cutting out of the box chain I've ever ran. It's got a funky grind pattern on the cutter that sure does work. But, every time you sharpen it that pattern goes away and it becomes just another standard cutter. I've read about a few guys doing fancy things with their grinders to replicate the original profile but I've never taken the time to try it. Really good chain and doesn't stretch like the Oregon stuff. About $23 or so a loop from lawnmowerparts? on ebay.
- I've got 7 or 8 loops of Forester full chisel in .325 for my 550xp and I really like it. It's got a polished, chrome look to it out of the box and needs to be touched up before using. It stretches some too but not like the Oregon. It's got a long top plate and I can't really tell a difference in hardness or wear between it and the x cut. I really like it and will get some loops in 84 dl as soon as Sawsalvage has it back in stock. $18.50 from the Duke's.
- Archer chain sucks. Tried 4 or 5 loops and two of them broke a tie strap with minimal use. Maybe just a bad batch of metal but I wasn't impressed with the ones that didn't break either.
- I've got many loops of Oregon EXL and like that chain as well, except for the fact that it stretches every time you cut.
The x cut is my favorite, reasonably priced chain. But, I'll continue to buy the Oregon and Forester chain as well.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry guys, I have to do it even though I am sure this dead horse has been beaten before.

The reason is because I am fed up with Oregon which has been a long time favorite of mine.

1) Too expensive

3/8" X .050" x 84DL
If you'd like I could spin you up a loop of x-cut to try. Shoot me a PM

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you switch to.058? There’s a seller on eBay that had 6 loops for 100 bucks. 84dl 3/8 but .058. I switched to.058 because I found better prices that size and on certain other sizes.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
?
I've never tried x cut or Forester or exl
I have 20+ lgx they've been fine but stretch often.
I've just run a couple loops of archer 84dl .58
They seemed ok comparable to other china stuff.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The c83 and c85 aren’t quite as hard as Stihl but they’re harder than Oregon for sure. Stretch isn’t too bad either. It’s definitely worth checking out a loop or two from beaglebriar.

Chinese chains are good option as well, Czeds chain thread has a good rundown on what’s what.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

1) Too expensive

3/8" X .050" x 84DL

04F53B61-A255-42A6-9528-FC61821977F8.pngAC5AF080-EB56-4181-B79C-7D63B7E62C9A.png

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carlton is owned by Oregon- so it is anybodies guess what the quality is like now. the current holding comapny that owns Oregon is of the mindset, charge the highest price we can get away with for the least amount of cost- translation made in chi-com.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carlton is owned by Oregon- so it is anybodies guess what the quality is like now. the current holding comapny that owns Oregon is of the mindset, charge the highest price we can get away with for the least amount of cost- translation made in chi-com.
Yea , can’t upset the share holders !!

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes & Oregon is/was owned by Blount but I think I read somewhere that it has since sold again but I could be mistaken.

The last Carlton roll & loops I bought from Amicks were stamped Carlton & in Lazer boxes. The rep I talked to said it was marketed thru Canada & had to be boxed this way for sale in USA. The bags with loops said Made in Brazil & so did the cardboard the roll was on.

I posted up the Amick Carlton post because I have had a lot of experience with it, it provides good quality & reasonable prices. Which is what the OP asked for.