Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice setup. Super clean. If those pictures are all from the same building, that's super nice that their sap comes right to the sugar shack. I don't ever imagine that my operation will be that size, but it's cool to see pictures and get to tour operations like that. To be honest though, I've never been in one that nice. Probably not even half that nice.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is our shack in Lancaster, MA. CDL wood fired boiler.

We planted 65 maple trees on a state grant in the meadow up the hill from the shack. Next generation will be able to tap and run line into the shack.

We do 40 to 80 gallons per season.
c162ba944fde7e4bd7c3e7c4c9fa1377.jpg
fed2b65dacdb7f16b31b9a2663fed40d.jpg
0f5d9b9e121b6cffb4240cf74e4ea696.jpg
c0e23214bf6cd46cbcc0814072d0e61f.jpg
7ed4713af71a43767efb2803d69121b0.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is our shack in Lancaster, MA. CDL wood fired boiler.

We planted 65 maple trees on a state grant in the meadow up the hill from the shack. Next generation will be able to tap and run line into the shack.

We do 40 to 80 gallons per season.
c162ba944fde7e4bd7c3e7c4c9fa1377.jpg
fed2b65dacdb7f16b31b9a2663fed40d.jpg
0f5d9b9e121b6cffb4240cf74e4ea696.jpg
c0e23214bf6cd46cbcc0814072d0e61f.jpg
7ed4713af71a43767efb2803d69121b0.jpg

I see your assistant suffers from the same disease as @Adirondackstihl: the Indians call it AssTooLowToGround.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see your assistant suffers from the same disease as @Adirondackstihl: the Indians call it AssTooLowToGround.
LOL that's Chuck checking the main pan. We have to be careful for boil over if we get the fire too hot.

I like how sap is clear and had a bead to it when shaken... Just like moonshine! I always joke the shine still is behind the shack.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice setup. Super clean. If those pictures are all from the same building, that's super nice that their sap comes right to the sugar shack. I don't ever imagine that my operation will be that size, but it's cool to see pictures and get to tour operations like that. To be honest though, I've never been in one that nice. Probably not even half that nice.
Yes
It’s all the same building

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL that's Chuck checking the main pan. We have to be careful for boil over if we get the fire too hot.

I like how sap is clear and had a bead to it when shaken... Just like moonshine! I always joke the shine still is behind the shack.

Man that’s awesome!!

I wish my family could see that in person: our Maple trees don’t do
That. [emoji38]

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m a draftsman.

My boss and his brother started a lumber yard some 20-25 yrs ago. He then expanded and bought some property across the road. He turned that into a curtain wall/storefront business. 95% of our aluminum curtain wall business is shipped to NYC.....that’s where the $ is at. If your not familiar with curtain wall or storefront......check this out. I created shop drawings for this tilted wall assembly.
12 West 48th St.
View attachment 118643
Installed glass all through high school and college. My dad, uncle, great uncle, and a few cousins were all in the glass industry. Nice looking curtain wall, but as an installer, I would punch you in the face, lol!

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Are you guys using a defoamer? You should be able to run that thing WFO without any problems from too much heat. I know the modern high tech wood fired rigs have quite intense combustion, so any plane Jane rig like you and I have should never make the fire too hot. My 4x14 does about 200 gallons of evaporation per hour, but my friend with an Air Over Fire setup (his is a CDL intense-o-fire) does 350 gph.

They sure will boil over without any defoamer though. I add about two drops of safflower oil or butter to the back pan every five minutes or so.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you guys using a defoamer? You should be able to run that thing WFO without any problems from too much heat. I know the modern high tech wood fired rigs have quite intense combustion, so any plane Jane rig like you and I have should never make the fire too hot. My 4x14 does about 200 gallons of evaporation per hour, but my friend with an Air Over Fire setup (his is a CDL intense-o-fire) does 350 gph.

They sure will boil over without any defoamer though. I add about two drops of safflower oil or butter to the back pan every five minutes or so.
We don't use a defoamer. I'll let them know when butter or safflower oil trick. That's awesome.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't use a defoamer. I'll let them know when butter or safflower oil trick. That's awesome.

Oh man, that'll be a real game changer. We never used it in flat pans, just skimmed the foam, but on a flue pan it's an absolute necessity. I often forget to have it on hand for the first boil and have to RUN to the house for some butter. Seriously, it hardly takes any. I use about a stick of butter for 100 gallons of syrup. Maybe less than that. The trick is to add it often. Foam on the surface actually holds the steam in and reduces your boiling rate in addition to making you slow the fire.

Looking at the rig in these pictures, I'd wager they have an automatic defoamer that adds a drop every couple minutes. There was a big fancy oil fired rig for sale on the mapletrader classifieds a year or so ago. The whole thing was run from a touch screen display! All the info at your fingertips. Stack temp, combustion temp, oil consumption, temps in the syrup pan, evaporation rate, syrup made per hour, defoamer application rate. Looked pretty nuts.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What kind of wood for the post & beam building?

Cool post, thanks!!!
For the shack I posted the 8x8 beams are pine. Myself and a buddy got the trees from our town forest slated to come down anyway. We had the beams milled on a 100 year old local saw mill. Great project.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Installed glass all through high school and college. My dad, uncle, great uncle, and a few cousins were all in the glass industry. Nice looking curtain wall, but as an installer, I would punch you in the face, lol!
No no no......you have this all wrong.
I didn’t DESIGN it.......the architect designed it.
I’m the guy who took this concept drawing and had to make it work. I drew it so that our shop could fabricate the aluminum.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome pics Jeremy. Makes me wanna post and beam my little shack when I build it. Lol At 4-5 gallons a year my budget might be a little tight though.

There's some serious bucks wrapped up in that deal. I'd love to see it in person.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No no no......you have this all wrong.
I didn’t DESIGN it.......the architect designed it.
I’m the guy who took this concept drawing and had to make it work. I drew it so that our shop could fabricate the aluminum.
Haha, we always blamed architects. We swore them and engineers needed a good beating for designing that crap. I kinda miss that work. Do they install as well or just fab and send it on? We did mostly YKK storefront, with a little curtain wall work. Mostly unit replacement and caulking on curtain wall. Gotta love pulling 20’ of cap and pressure bar off to replace one little unit.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha, we always blamed architects. We swore them and engineers needed a good beating for designing that crap. I kinda miss that work. Do they install as well or just fab and send it on? We did mostly YKK storefront, with a little curtain wall work. Mostly unit replacement and caulking on curtain wall. Gotta love pulling 20’ of cap and pressure bar off to replace one little unit.

No no no. It’s not the engineer’s fault. We just make sure it won’t fall down. It’s the dang architects who think they have to make it look pretty or something.