Can/should I run this? Stihl 056 Super Piston

Dasser82

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rebuilding my 056 Super and just got a used OEM cylinder and piston last week. Just noticed a small crack on the intake skirt. Pretty bummed but looking for opinions as to whether or not I should run it? The original piston is scored and had a piece missing from corner of the intake skirt, hence the replacement. I now have 2 decent cylinders, but looks like my piston issues continue..

This saw will only be for personal/occasional use, and I'm not interested in any aftermarket parts, even if OE stuff for this saw is almost unobtanium.

Thoughts?

dfbc46f4895c05ccdc94b8acd0c20bc7.jpg
6f71c02d8b6af5f7dc94d129ce1b3e93.jpg
a4f200eae5b818b18eee073c5302a702.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely would not run a cracked piston unless you want to ruin the entire top and bottom end in a short amount of time. Maybe the cases too if it's bad enough when the piston finally let's go. Maybe someone here has the piston you need.

Dasser82

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys, ya think this one will go back on the shelf for now until I find another P/C set or piston in better shape. I am surprised the previous piston didn't wreck the crank and case - there's no sign of damage.

But there's no sense in rolling the dice again.

Anyone have a 54mm piston that would work in a "B" or "C" cylinder? lol

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys, ya think this one will go back on the shelf for now until I find another P/C set or piston in better shape. I am surprised the previous piston didn't wreck the crank and case - there's no sign of damage.

But there's no sense in rolling the dice again.

Anyone have a 54mm piston that would work in a "B" or "C" cylinder? lol

Start a wanted thread in the classifieds section of the forum. May get lucky

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Such a shame, those 056 Super pistons are like gold dust. I gave up searching for an 056 Super piston after a year.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He said he didn't want aftermarket but the dukes piston is a really good option.
I agree AM can be worrisome, but sometimes there's no other feasible option. If he does AM I'd be more concerned about getting a good set of Caber rings and using OEM wrist pin clips (or at the very least breaking off those tabs on the AM clips). Those two items cause more problems in my experiences than the pistons do, usually.

Dasser82

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks fellas, I'll look into that kit.

I got a set of cabers for this saw earlier before I got into it, so good to go there. And I have 2 wrist pins and 2 sets of OEM clips. I have heard that those aftermarket clips can be problematic.

Appreciate all the input, I'll update once I decide!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree AM can be worrisome, but sometimes there's no other feasible option. If he does AM I'd be more concerned about getting a good set of Caber rings and using OEM wrist pin clips (or at the very least breaking off those tabs on the AM clips). Those two items cause more problems in my experiences than the pistons do, usually.

Actually, the rings on the Duke's HiPerf piston are high quality already. Unlike some the whole piston kit can be used in its entirety in my experience.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Actually, the rings on the Duke's HiPerf piston are high quality already. Unlike some the whole piston kit can be used in its entirety in my experience.
Thank you sir, I didn't realize that. I'd still stay away from the "e" clips....I had a bad experience one time with those....lol