High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Buying a trimmer - help me choose

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have been using a husqvarna 232R brush cutter to trim around my place for the last 12 years. It's a good machine and owes me nothing. It is overkill for weekly trimming and I feel it slows me down - a conventional trimmer would be faster.

I have been eyeing a Redmax BCZ260TS. It's light and gets good press. It's the most expensive unit I am considering at 399.00

The Husqvarna 525LST is supposedly the orange version of the redmax offered at 339.00. With a $60 price difference, I don't know how it could be the same machine.

I have the opportunity to buy an Echo or Shindaiwa at 20% off MSRP. They have lots of choices.

Leaning towards a Shindaiwa T282 for 312.00 out the door.

Willing to consider the Echo trimmers as well if anyone has a compelling review.

I appreciate your feedback and opinions!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
1:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 24 year old Echo Gt-2400 and love it. Nice and light prefect for house hold trimming. I want to sat the modern equivalent is the srm 225. Mines only 21cc. @Onan18 might have some more echo info.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't have any experience with the Redmax trimmer but I do have the Husky 525LS. It's been a great trimmer so far. If you're not running a guard and you don't run your string 10 inches or more out the head, I would get the non torque version. I don't use a guard and I like the trimmer line (.095) to be around 8" or so. The 525LS will turn 9400 RPM with 8" of line. If you do use a guard you would be turning way too many RPMs with the torque head. In my opinion it's only good for those that like to run really long string without a guard.

If you go Echo get the 2620. And if you decide to go that route, make sure you get one that's got the black trimmer string on the head. The ones with the new upgraded driveshaft have the black line installed from the factory and the old ones had the old orange Crossfire line installed, that's how you tell the difference.

Also you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not check out the Stihl FS94R. I have one and it's an excellent all-around trimmer.

Last edited:

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been told that the RedMax and Echo trimmers now do not come with adjustable carburetors. Where the high-speed and low-speed Jets or just a non removable brass plug.

The Husky and Stihl both have fully adjustable carburetors.

Here is the Husky carb.

Last edited:

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've been told that the RedMax and Echo trimmers now do not come with adjustable carburetors. Where the high-speed and low-speed Jets or just a non removable brass plug.

The Husky and Stihl both have fully adjustable carburetors.
Very true. But they will take any of the older butterfly carbs or you can look into the cheep vachina made scooter for a rotary carb wich has a high end adjustment and low / mid range needle is typically blocked or glued but can be adjusted

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had my SRM 230 for over 20 years now and in that entire time I have never done anything but put fuel lines on it twice and cleaned the carb once. They are still available but my understanding is that Echo is phasing them and the 266 out (possibly the 280 as well) at the end of this year. The 2620 will be replacing the older chassis and it is going to be a home run. I went to a tear down school for the 2620 this past January and it is a very well engineered chassis, they beefed up the bottom end significantly and IMO that was something that needed to be done for a long time.

Also, both the Echo and RedMax carbs are adjustable, they either have limit caps pressed in over them or some of the newer Echo carbs require a special tool.

Joe

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My gut feeling tells me to stay with echo/shindaiwa.

I like that the fs94 is made in America. It doesn't look like it has a solid steel driveshaft.

Joe, what else can you share about the 2620? I was leaning towards the traditional 2-stroke, proven technology of the 266 or 280...certainly willing to entertain the 2620 if there is a good reason!

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My gut feeling tells me to stay with echo/shindaiwa.

I like that the fs94 is made in America. It doesn't look like it has a solid steel driveshaft.

Joe, what else can you share about the 2620? I was leaning towards the traditional 2-stroke, proven technology of the 266 or 280...certainly willing to entertain the 2620 if there is a good reason!

It is still a two stroke, and still uses the same basic rotary carb that Echo has used for a long time. The 2620 has a reduced weight compared to older engines (partially because they removed some unnecessary material from the engine case) but the bottom end bearings are significantly bigger. They have a very tight case volume. Echo also went to great lengths to shield components from damage, that is why the air cleaner knobs are on the backside of the base.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Onan18 I appreciate the information that you say that those carbs are adjustable. I'm interested in the 2620 and not having an adjustable carb was a deal-breaker. trimming at the first part of March the engine will not run the same as when it's blistering in August. The next time you adjust one of those carbs could you show how it's done please? Thanks.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Onan18 I appreciate the information that you say that those carbs are adjustable. I'm interested in the 2620 and not having an adjustable carb was a deal-breaker. trimming at the first part of March the engine will not run the same as when it's blistering in August. The next time you adjust one of those carbs could you show how it's done please? Thanks.

Sir Yes Sir

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Four Paws both the FS94R and Echo 2620/2620T both are USA made and they both use flex driveshafts. The Echo came out with a solid driveshaft and it had vibration problems. The fix was to use a flex shaft and older trimmers were retrofitted with the flex shaft free of charge.
The Stihl is rated to use a blade and it has excellent anti-vibe so I wouldn't sweat a flex shaft.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Four Paws both the FS94R and Echo 2620/2620T both are USA made and they both use flex driveshafts. The Echo came out with a solid driveshaft and it had vibration problems. The fix was to use a flex shaft and older trimmers were retrofitted with the flex shaft free of charge.
The Stihl is rated to use a blade and it has excellent anti-vibe so I wouldn't sweat a flex shaft.

This, plus Echo lifetime warranties their driveshafts.