High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Bought a Cooks AC-36 today

customcutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I shook hands with the owner of a Cooks AC-36 Bandsaw Mill this afternoon. Told him I would be back on Monday after I moved some funds around at my Bank that morning. I tried to leave a deposit, but he wouldn't take it. He didn't know how old it is, but just guessing I'd say 10+ years old. He bought it from some guys that were making cross ties, they had just replaced the motor with a 28 HP (I think) Kohler. He cut about 500bf with it and his brother said he parked it, found out it was more manual labor than he wanted to fool with and didn't have any help. So it's been sitting for the last 4-5 years and needs a little TLC, but it cuts straight as an arrow and all the hydraulics work. It's only got one hyd log dog, so I may add a second later. Also it doesn't have a de-barker. Might add that down the line also. For the price I don't think I could have done better, and I've been looking high and low.

If you haven't seen one it's the big brother to the HD 3238 in another post I made a few days ago. It will cut a 36" log by 21 foot long.

thanks,
Ken

customcutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Awesome. Got plans for it?

Yes, Sir. My wife and I just retired this past year. We are presently looking for 50+ acres in SE Alabama with mature timber on it. We are planning on harvesting the timber and building a 2-3000 sq ft log home and a 40X60 shop. This mill will allow me to cut and mill all the lumber, logs, cants that I need for the projects as most of Alabama has little to no restrictions, permits, codes, etc. At least in the rural areas, for now.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

customcutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, I've been looking for several months. It turned up 20 miles down the road from my in-laws. Hasn't had much use. But has been in the weather. That will change soon.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Awesome, sounds like you have retirement planned out lol. Keep us posted.

customcutter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We may have found some property today. Need to see my banker, when I get home and see what I can figure out until our income increases in April next year. Hopefully, I'll be making some practice cuts with it this weekend at my cousins. He's got a project he wants to mill some lumber for. I'll post some pics if I get to do any milling.

backwoods sawyer

New OPE Member
Local time
9:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
0928161013.jpg
Well I finally got some pictures taken today. Hope you enjoy. Replacing the lights today, going to repack the wheel bearings tomorrow, before the 400 mile trip home.

View attachment 98758 View attachment 98759 View attachment 98761 View attachment 98762
Congratulations on the new mill....
I have the AC-36 mill edger sharpening package.... The 64 hp perkins had died the first year costing the previous owner his business... I repowered it with a 50 hp John deere... It is a beast to move and set up.... So I keep the three Woodmizers (a 70 and a pair of 40s) on the road and use the cook's only when cutting 21-28 ft lumber....
Take the time to get it set up level...and solid... And reset if the mill shifts around...
With the small motor don't over feed it... And play with it a while before putting anything over 30" on it. The four post is not as forgiving as the cantilever style when it comes to bow...sweep...crook...knotts...butt swell ect...
If you don't have setworks.... Learn the ruler.... And double check board thicknesses until you get consistent...
Oh and don't over top the log turners...you will have run away logs...