Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
we use paypal exclusively for Ebay payments and of course in the big picture this is a minor complaint but....

background : paypal collected more than $7000.00 on my transactions last year

we recently got a notice from paypal that someone opened a case against us for about a $30.00 refund

we researched and couldn't find any record of any business with this guy at all on Ebay or privately so we contacted Paypal for help and they let us know that they had big problems for a few days and that they were refunding the customer and would not be taking money from our account . GREAT!!

until yesterday they sent another e-mail saying that they found in favor of the other guy and were taking our $30.00
when we sent them a copy of our correspondence from earlier they suggested we contact Ebay to resolve the issue

again in the grand scheme it is $30 but not great customer service and gives me the feeling that they don't have any idea what they are doing

Sorry it took so long to finish this post, our power went out in the middle :)
Dave

Last edited:

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You sure it's not a scam??
nah all real - real notices to our real registered address that isn't used for anything else from the proper secure paypal address as well.

It seems like during the few days while Paypal and Ebay were becoming two separate companies something odd happened and initially paypal was taking responsibility and promising to make it right with vendors and customers but may have decided to cheap out when they realized how much they might be on the hook for. That is just my take on it. We did have 50+ transactions that day that went fine but no record of anything with the customer in question.

just had to vent because my wife spent a decent amount of time trying to research and figure out what happened and then when it looked like it was all resolved they decided to take $30 out of our account
we didn't sell the guy anything or ship him anything so we ARE NOT out the money (it was free money we didn't even notice until the dispute was filed) and it isn't our last $30 or anything like that, but it feels all-*s-wordty when a big company lets you know you don't matter to them
Dave

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also just did the quick maths and I think Genius tried to scam me for 1.8 million dollars in the Paypal Scam thread a few days ago :)
turns out Tammy and Paypal are small time

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sorry I messed up the story - to be clear on this they did deposit the $30 in our paypal on the day in question and it had an Ebay transaction number with it, but the transaction number was invalid on Ebay and they have no record of it on Ebay at all, we can normally look up a sale by transaction id, date, part purchased, buyer name, buyer Ebay ID and a few other methods and all of them produced no result which is why we asked Paypal to figure it out initially when we got the dispute notice saying a customer reported to Paypal that we had never shipped him his part. That is when Paypal said it was an error on their system and they would not take the $30 from us and would give it back to the customer as well. They even cited their seller protection policy as the reason they were resolving it this way.

Last edited:

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sorry to be clear on this they did deposit the $30 in our paypal on the day in question and it had an Ebay transaction number with it, but the transaction number was invalid on Ebay and they have no record of it on Ebay at all, we can normally look up a sale by transaction id, date, part purchased, buyer name, buyer Ebay ID and a few other methods and all of them produced no result which is why we asked Paypal to figure it out initially when we got the dispute notice saying a customer reported to Paypal that we had never shipped him his part. That is when Paypal said it was an error on their system and they would not take the $30 from us and would give it back to the customer as well. They even cited their seller protection policy as the reason they were resolving it this way.
Someone in Bang-the-door is confused

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But if it happened once, it can happen again,and again. Stop the flood gate before it becomes a problem.
If they took $30 from your account, not following the free money...

I do not think there is a viable alternative to Paypal at this time, they became the default payment method on the biggest site for the type of business we do and then got spun off so the two separate companies can adjust their fee structures to double dip when the time comes for shareholders, but so far there really isn't another choice.
While this a fun hobby for me, it is my sons actual source of income. That fact dictates slow, deliberate, fiscally sound actions.
There is not another sales channel or payment method that offers even a decent fraction of the exposure and income that the current situation provides, time may change that.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah hah, all good. And I do know PayPal is it when it comes to what you do. Glad you aren't out 30 of your own $$.
yeah the power outage broke my train of thought (which can barely stay on the tracks under ideal circumstances) and I managed to leave out a critical bit of info.
Dave
:)

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am sorry I messed up the story - to be clear on this they did deposit the $30 in our paypal on the day in question and it had an Ebay transaction number with it, but the transaction number was invalid on Ebay and they have no record of it on Ebay at all, we can normally look up a sale by transaction id, date, part purchased, buyer name, buyer Ebay ID and a few other methods and all of them produced no result which is why we asked Paypal to figure it out initially when we got the dispute notice saying a customer reported to Paypal that we had never shipped him his part. That is when Paypal said it was an error on their system and they would not take the $30 from us and would give it back to the customer as well. They even cited their seller protection policy as the reason they were resolving it this way.

I'd call them on the discrepancy (meaning call them out) in a heart beat. But I'm meticulous about that kind of stuff. It seems you are satisfied with it all, which is fine with me. If my wife saw it on the account and tracked it down she wouldn't budge until they cried "uncle" :bash:

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah the power outage broke my train of thought
Dave
:)

If it's the power outage that messes with your train of thought, you sure loose power a lot:D

The next time the gypsies come to us with a truck load of generators that they need to sell that are left overs from their "trade show" I will give them your address:D

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd call them on the discrepancy (meaning call them out) in a heart beat. But I'm meticulous about that kind of stuff. It seems you are satisfied with it all, which is fine with me. If my wife saw it on the account and tracked it down she wouldn't budge until they cried "uncle" :bash:

I am more "measured" in my methods.
I vote with my dollars and before this I had no reason to actively look for alternatives, but you can bet I will consider being an early adopter if a decent "other choice" pops up :)
I prefer to do business with companies who don't waste my time and effort :)
Julie was mad as hell, but I believe wasting energy on stupid *s-word doesn't make us happier than spending that time on more funner stuff :)

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am more "measured" in my methods.
I vote with my dollars and before this I had no reason to actively look for alternatives, but you can bet I will consider being an early adopter if a decent "other choice" pops up :)
I prefer to do business with companies who don't waste my time and effort :)
Julie was mad as hell, but I believe wasting energy on stupid *s-word doesn't make us happier than spending that time on more funner stuff :)

That's just what makes you "Definitive Dave" :D