best weed trimmer head or line for heavy stuff

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have an old Poulan PL25 trimmer whcih uses ~0.080" line. It is fine for grass. But those weed stalks that grow 3' high and have about 1/4" diameter just laugh at that line.

Is there a recommendable trimmer head ( with blades? ) that is good for cutting down stalky weeds that are too cumbersome to pull by hand?

Or even a thicker particular type of line... I don't want to buy 100' spool of line for $20+ unless I know it will work.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3.0mm/.118" , sharp cornered square shaped , very hard nylon.
Combined with a large heavy head I got this year it smashes orchard undergrowth (& my weedeaters line cutter, & my weedeaters shield - total destruction to anything it hits)!
Comes in small spools and in various thicknesses.
The green line is .080" square.
IMG_20240903_225142~2.jpg
IMG_20240829_201903.jpg
IMG_20240810_180834.jpg

I have a tendency to try different lines, this white one is as heavy duty as it gets.
And that line head is designed tough as well , it can be found under numerous brand names including Stihl & Oregon.

IMG_20240810_214319~2.jpg
IMG_20240810_181435.jpg

An alternative would be to utilize a steel cutting disk for brush clearing.

Wilhelm

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My sister has got a Brogio chain-flail head.

I tried it and it is destructive in every imaginable way.
It smacked through 1" thick green wild hazel, with the hazel pieces hitting my leg.
Needless to say I gave the Brogio back and said:
"Cool, thanks. :rolleyes: "

Sloughfoot

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many horsies are under the hood with the Poulan PL25?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For a blade I prefer the Airecut. The best trimmer line I ever used is Rotary Vortex.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried the Echo Black Diamond trimmer line ?

If so, which did you prefer and why ??
I did try the Black Diamond when it first came out. And it was just too brittle it would break off way too easy trimming around chain link. So yes that Vortex trimmer line not only is tough but it's so quiet. There's literally no noise coming from the trimmer line as you're trimming. I don't use a guard and I can bump it out about one more bump and then you would normally use on round or square trimmer line.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did try the Black Diamond when it first came out. And it was just too brittle it would break off way too easy trimming around chain link. So yes that Vortex trimmer line not only is tough but it's so quiet. There's literally no noise coming from the trimmer line as you're trimming. I don't use a guard and I can bump it out about one more bump and then you would normally use on round or square trimmer line.
Another thing, at my local Echo dealer I can buy a 5 lb spool of Vortex the same price as a 3 lb spool of Black Diamond.

Wilhelm

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see the litigation already if that's sold in the US.
It is illegal to be sold within the EU, as are most (all?) flail type attachments.

I may have to copy my sisters Brogio! :D

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing, at my local Echo dealer I can buy a 5 lb spool of Vortex the same price as a 3 lb spool of Black Diamond.
Amazon has the Vortex more salty than the Black Diamond.

What the hey, I ordered a small roll of the Vortex. Only one way to see which I like better. I appreciate your insight, especially using along chain link fencing. The quietness has me curious

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Amazon has the Vortex more salty than the Black Diamond.

What the hey, I ordered a small roll of the Vortex. Only one way to see which I like better. I appreciate your insight, especially using along chain link fencing. The quietness has me curious
I live real close here to the Rotary world headquarters so we get the Rotary products here relatively cheap. Rotary had been getting all their trimmer line for years and years from Desert Extrusion. Several years back they bought that company so all of the Rotary trimmer line is actually Desert Extrusion line.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I do is I'll soak the trimmer line in a bucket of water overnight about once a season especially on an older spool.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I do is I'll soak the trimmer line in a bucket of water overnight about once a season especially on an older spool.
The whole spool, or just what you are loading onto the trimmer head ?

bucketofguts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A quick anecdote. Friends bought grandmother a weed-eater for her birthday. They started it and while in start mode/ fast idle she went to the business end to pick it up in her excitement. Her injuries were minor. With that. Is there an end-all bump head for my trusty FS90R? Thank you.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was using a .95 square or star line for a few years, but I found a steal of a deal on a 3 or 5 lb spool and tried it.

Copperhead (Rotary) round line in .105

It may not be ideal for all the weeds encountered (thick thistles, bunch-grasses, etc.) but it seems to be the most durable. I can often get two tanks+ or three to four+ battery charges on a single refill of line (probably 15' or a little more)

Even the round holds up okay against metal, concrete, rocks, etc...