Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
15-40 Shell or Chevron oil new.
Heavy truck oil
STP oil treatment and Lucas oil additive will add anti-sling agents to the oil. Another company also sells it with a bench top gear display you just crank the handle. Clear plastic cases on it.

You can add it to anything but don't leave, canola, veg or and natural oil in the saw or pump. You will be sorry later on when the pump locks up and you find holes inside the oil tank eating away at the magnesium cases.

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Heavy truck oil
STP oil treatment and Lucas oil additive will add anti-sling agents to the oil. Another company also sells it with a bench top gear display you just crank the handle. Clear plastic cases on it.

You can add it to anything but don't leave, canola, veg or and natural oil in the saw or pump. You will be sorry later on when the pump locks up and you find holes inside the oil tank eating away at the magnesium cases.

You mean truck oil alone or with STP treatment too ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You mean truck oil alone or with STP treatment too ?

8220c7d63164cdaf0e71bbc857d4626d.jpg

This !?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
8220c7d63164cdaf0e71bbc857d4626d.jpg

This !?

Yup
Heavy zinc will friction weld to your bar if overheated.
You can add on in hot weather. We get temps to 100F and the sunny days with humidity are brutal.
Mid 90's all this week. Good time to use an anti-sling additive.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would I buy motor oil when the correct bar oil made for chainsaws costs just about the same?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would I buy motor oil when the correct bar oil made for chainsaws costs just about the same?
When you can’t find B&C oil. OP is in Egypt, not Olympia, WA.

I had some experiences, like during Hurricane Katrina, where there was no B&C oil to be found.

Good to know some options when needed.

Philbert

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I had some experiences, like during Hurricane Katrina, where there was no B&C oil to be found.

Philbert
I knew guys using a custom mix after hurricane Katrina and Sandy that hit here. It's rare I don't have bar oil, several mix oils, STP, series three HD truck oil, regular 10-40 or canola. Canola is for food grade wood. Cutting a slab for a table, cutting boards or counter tops should be done with food grade oil. Cutting softwood or hardwood for bread boards and bowls must be done with food grade oil.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Op is in Egypt, probably not very available.
Ever hear of the great forests of Egypt.... yeah me neither.
Bout maybe, um, fifteen hundred years ago they might have had a tree or three left. The fertile crescent ain't so fertile anymore. Most areas in the East or middle East have been mostly wiped out of forest size trees.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used hydraulic oil drained out of my log splitter. Had no problems, but I usually cut for short periods at a time. Heavy hydraulic oil from tractors should be about the same.

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Philbert

OP stands for what ?!

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bout maybe, um, fifteen hundred years ago they might have had a tree or three left. The fertile crescent ain't so fertile anymore. Most areas in the East or middle East have been mostly wiped out of forest size trees.

Luckily my bachelor degree is in Egyptian pharaonic history, 4000 years ago there were ships , furniture, houses ceiling etc.
Wasn’t just 3 trees [emoji4]
Now a days the Nile still irrigates the same areas with reduced mud due to the high dam hence the desert planted areas had been increased significantly in the past decade.
Planting on the roofs is increasing rapidly too for its financial and temperature positive impact on the owners

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi [emoji1310]

Am wondering do you use any alternative for the original bar oil !! Like the vegetable oil for an example

I like canola oil, but I am looking to experiment with adding DGP biodegradable bar and chain oil to the canola oil to make it a bit stickier. For cross cutting the canola oil does great and costs very little while being non toxic if the vapors are inhaled or stick to clothes, etc. When I'm milling I can tell a bit stickier oil would help my life a bit. Been having some setbacks the last month, so Haven't had time to get the mill running again.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Heavy truck oil

How long is too long?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert
Cool, I’d expect less bar and chain life with motor oil with there lack of a tacky additive though. Maybe that could be purchased and added? But by that point you might as well order the right stuff since you have to order the tack additive. Or just settle for reduced bar life with motor oil.

LouCi4er

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just ask for SAE 30 mineral oil (or SAE 10 mineral oil if you are cutting in colder temperatures).80W90 is way to thick,it might be ok when cutting in the middle of July or August but i can't imagine a chainsaw oil pump is able to move it during winter.