Bar oil

Matt Schmitt

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm the same with motor oil .I use full synthetic on the three vehicles and Toro mower and regular in the old tractors .The vehicles because of low usage and the mower with only 25-30 hours per year gets changed once a year .The tractors about every two years. I just wait until named brands go on sale and stock up .Doesn't make me much diff if it's Valvoline or Quaker State or Shell .I've heard of all this so called premium stuff like Royal Purple etc but I don't give that much of a thought or credit but again that's none of my business .
I run a lot of amsoil mainly cuz my buddy is a dealer. Only thing I can say they do that does work is the saber I’ve been running it at 80:1 in a stock 2016 562 since new and she’s still running great. As for there motor oils hard to say if it’s better or not.

Reactions: Lnk

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look again in a year and the Poulan pro oil will be completely different. Suppliers and their products are always changing what they sell as bar oil depending on what they have excess of. Somewhere between hydraulic oil and gear oil works fine

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A local to me saw shop had a pallet of Kawasaki branded bar oil when I visited last fall. I think they had $9/gal on it. Bought one for myself and one as a Christmas gift. Not used yet. Still working through my last bit of Jonsered bottled wintergrade right now. Traditionally used Husky white bottle. Bought a couple cases of Makita bottled stuff 1/2 regular, 1/2 wintergrade last year for $10/gal.

Attachments

• baroil.png
    baroil.png
    551.1 KB · Views: 6

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Fifelaker asks whenever Maynerds puts bar oil on sale and gets me a few jugs every year. It’s a crapshoot as to what brand it’ll be. Was FVP brand that needed a quart of mineral spirits mixed in to thin it out for winter. Lately it’s been the red Poulan Pro

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
@Fifelaker asks whenever Maynerds puts bar oil on sale and gets me a few jugs every year. It’s a crapshoot as to what brand it’ll be. Was FVP brand that needed a quart of mineral spirits mixed in to thin it out for winter. Lately it’s been the red Poulan Pro
That’s where I usually get my bar erl. Or the mystic stuff at Blane’s. Both on sale. It’s gone up a couple bucks in the last couple years though. I’ll cut em both with Jenner juice (tranny fluid) for the winter.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You likely have a supplier near by. If you really wanted to save money you could buy from them by the 55 gallon barrel.

You mean like this, the boxes = 57 gal. they were out of barrels so our local depot manager sold me the 19 cases in jugs for the same price as a barrel.

D488F3D2-5117-42BD-9ADF-627A08EE5722.jpeg E4FE9ED2-CBFD-421B-959E-1ADF012F3DA1.jpeg

The tech in the lab told me that if I bought in 55 gallon or larger batches they would mix it as thin of thick as I wanted it but I just took the all season they had.

It started out at just over $5gal, the last was around $9.50gal, that’s delivered to the shed with no guberment extras tacked on.

Last edited:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The latest stuff from Lowes smells like stinky gear lube.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Atwoods is where I have been getting my bar oil lately. $7.49 a gallon for Mystik, $8.49 a gallon for Harvest King.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The latest stuff from Lowes smells like stinky gear lube.
Probably because that's what it is .Bar oil, gear oil, machine tool way oil is all about the same .It's just oil with a tacking agent and with gear oil they just add a pinch of skunk pee .

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s where I usually get my bar erl. Or the mystic stuff at Blane’s. Both on sale. It’s gone up a couple bucks in the last couple years though. I’ll cut em both with Jenner juice (tranny fluid) for the winter.
I’ve been mixing 50/50 whatever bar oil goes on sale in the summer and canola oil …….. It’s a little thinner after it’s mixed and works in the winter and summer just fine. Haven’t had any issues storing it either and it stays mixxed whilst sitting.

I figure 50% less petroleum base mist has to be healthier for me and the rest of the woods. Drops the price of what’s used too …………… I don’t really see any reason not to mix it all the time

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tractor Supply’s Countyline Brand Bar oil used to be a deal. Their winter grade bar oil now costs $21.09 with tax! Dealership prices now. That’s for one gallon.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For a while all TSC locally had was that high price Husqvarna stuff that cost more that Stihl branded . I just won't buy it period .

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When TSC used to have the gallons on sale at random times for $6.99 a few yrs back, I hoarded

FederalQ

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, I stopped into a Menard’s in Green Bay today and they have one gallon containers of Poulan Pro bar & chain oil priced at $7.85. I have not opened it yet too see what color it is.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a gallon in ND the other day, color maters not to me, the price is right…