Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
5:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 48” one!

I thought about a longer hookaroon because I'm tall enough to use one that size, but the 36" worked best. With a 36" I don't bend over much to pick splits off the ground, and I can choke up on it for moving firewood that's stacked so it works as well as a smaller size would. Best of both worlds.

When I first started using it I thought "wow this is slower", but I got much more efficient after a few days. But most importantly, after a day of stacking wood my back feels fine. And I'm ready to go for another full day.

Without the hookaroon, I'm in pain the next day and running at 50% speed.

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a 24" on a 562XP. I'm sorta looking to pick up a 572 or 592, probably going to pick up a 28" if I do. I'm 6'6" tall. We'll see if the extra length makes up for the heavier powerhead.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know those were discontinued...I was a fan minus the fact they bend pretty easy..

Is it true Oregon is working on making a new Light bar ?
Supposedly they are redesigning it , but not 100 percent sure it’s gonna happen.Glad I have several of them knowing they were going out of production.

GerbrandR

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am still debating on what I should buy.

A 28'' and a 36'' or just one bar which then might become a 32''. We really don't have such large trees here. It would mainly be better on my back for bucking.
A friend of mine visits family in the US about once a year. Maybe I can order some skip chain so I could run that on a 32''.

Over here a 20'' is already considered a long bar. Probably for most tree felling jobs it's adequate, but for bucking it is not very comfortable for sure.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am still debating on what I should buy.

A 28'' and a 36'' or just one bar which then might become a 32''. We really don't have such large trees here. It would mainly be better on my back for bucking.
A friend of mine visits family in the US about once a year. Maybe I can order some skip chain so I could run that on a 32''.

Over here a 20'' is already considered a long bar. Probably for most tree felling jobs it's adequate, but for bucking it is not very comfortable for sure.
Get something that fits ur needs. It’s hard to get skip chain were you live ?

GerbrandR

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get something that fits ur needs. It’s hard to get skip chain were you live ?

You are right about that. Leaning towards a 32'' at the moment. Can also use that on my 395xp when the time comes.

I have never seen skip tooth for sale here, neither online. Most that is sold here is probably 18'' or 20'' and they use regular chain.
Btw, the Oregon chain here is the LPX type. Would like to try the EXJ (skip) and maybe EXL.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are right about that. Leaning towards a 32'' at the moment. Can also use that on my 395xp when the time comes.

I have never seen skip tooth for sale here, neither online. Most that is sold here is probably 18'' or 20'' and they use regular chain.
Btw, the Oregon chain here is the LPX type. Would like to try the EXJ (skip) and maybe EXL.
Yea 32” a good choice will handle whatever you have to cut . That’s interesting about the chain availability? Always order online for what you need.

Sauen

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
(Semi)skip chain is available online in Germany I believe

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's very helpful. I actually live in Austria, but when I am in the Netherlands I am in Friesland or Utrecht.

Gave it some thought, I think I will order a 28'' for my Jonsered 2171 and a 36'' to have for my 395XP. I feel that the difference between a 32'' and a 36'' would be too small.

Good one, don't have one yet. But you notice it quickly, bending down all the time.

What do you mean by that?

Currently the Sugihara/Tsumura/Husqvarna X-Tough light are or a lot more expensive or not available.

A 36'' ES Light costs €148 at the moment. A 28'' is €126, but sold out at the moment.
For reference
This is a Bow Bar, almost exclusively found in the South eastern United States for pulp wood and fence post production. Proper use basically eliminates bending to cut.
They are outlawed by most federal and state agencies for use on their land (See Karen) .
Most went out of production decades ago so suggesting one is mildly facetious.
Although they are fantastic for bucking logs effortlessly on the ground/pile the kick back zone is to be respected or it'll bite you!
Some criminally insane people fell trees with them also.

GerbrandR

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For reference
This is a Bow Bar, almost exclusively found in the South eastern United States for pulp wood and fence post production. Proper use basically eliminates bending to cut.
They are outlawed by most federal and state agencies for use on their land (See Karen) .
Most went out of production decades ago so suggesting one is mildly facetious.
Although they are fantastic for bucking logs effortlessly on the ground/pile the kick back zone is to be respected or it'll bite you!
Some criminally insane people fell trees with them also.

Ah yes, it went through my mind that it was one like that. Might be even more rare than skip chain here ;)