Local time
4:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have an Aunt A-hole?

A comma can make a lot of difference.

Reminds me of this quote:
"Helping your uncle jack off his horse" is not the same as "Helping your uncle Jack off his horse." Capitalization matters too.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What difference does it make of what a person is going to do with a saw that they bring to your shop for repair?

If you take a car to a shop for repair, does it matter if you are fixing it to flip or fixing it to drive?

In theory, and to the customer who's flipping said item, no. But, to the business, atleast in my situation, it actually does make a difference. I'm not trying to get into an argument. This is just my perspective. I'm a one man band type operation. I've been in business this way for 9 years now. It's nothing fancy, just a two bay shop, Inspection/emission station and general repairs, tires, etc. Cars/light trucks are my main business, saws are a spare time/evening/weekend hobby type thing. One of the hardest things about my job is the logistics of meeting everybody's schedule. Every single day I have to establish an order of importance for the given jobs I have lined up that day. It is NEVER as simple as first come first serve in this type of setting. There are too many variables. Unforeseen problems on the work that is scheduled such as parts availability, unplanned/additional repairs, customers finances(whether they can even afford the needed work), jobs that don't show up, appointments that show up late, emergency type repairs that pop up etc etc, all throw off your schedule. The intended use of an item helps establish the level of importance that should be placed on it and helps determine what gets fixed when.

Most of my customers rely on their vehicle to commute to work on a daily basis. Thus, their vehicle is pretty important to them. People who have an extra vehicle are usually much more flexible on timeframe. If it's at the shop for a few days it usually does not cause a problem. But, for folks who only have one car, they can't have it sitting at your shop for days while you work on something that does not "need" to be done, ie; a car somebody bought to flip and does not need for transportation. In this situation, especially if they're a regular customer, their vehicle gets priority. I basically weigh my options and decide what actions will keep the most people happy and not cause anybody a hardship (missed work, etc).

Ive spent many late nights away from family to help my customers out of a bind whether self induced or not. Many times when I shouldn't have, like those nights I stay late to finish a vehicle that somebody "absolutely had to have" for the next day and it's still there 2 days later because they just couldn't find time to pick it up. This stuff tends to get under your skin.

A service based business is a thankless job. It's very easy to say what the business should or shouldn't have done as the customer or a third party, but I assure you it never seems as black and white from the business owners perspective.

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In theory, and to the customer who's flipping said item, no. But, to the business, atleast in my situation, it actually does make a difference. I'm not trying to get into an argument. This is just my perspective. I'm a one man band type operation. I've been in business this way for 9 years now. It's nothing fancy, just a two bay shop, Inspection/emission station and general repairs, tires, etc. Cars/light trucks are my main business, saws are a spare time/evening/weekend hobby type thing. One of the hardest things about my job is the logistics of meeting everybody's schedule. Every single day I have to establish an order of importance for the given jobs I have lined up that day. It is NEVER as simple as first come first serve in this type of setting. There are too many variables. Unforeseen problems on the work that is scheduled such as parts availability, unplanned/additional repairs, customers finances(whether they can even afford the needed work), jobs that don't show up, appointments that show up late, emergency type repairs that pop up etc etc, all throw off your schedule. The intended use of an item helps establish the level of importance that should be placed on it and helps determine what gets fixed when.

Most of my customers rely on their vehicle to commute to work on a daily basis. Thus, their vehicle is pretty important to them. People who have an extra vehicle are usually much more flexible on timeframe. If it's at the shop for a few days it usually does not cause a problem. But, for folks who only have one car, they can't have it sitting at your shop for days while you work on something that does not "need" to be done, ie; a car somebody bought to flip and does not need for transportation. In this situation, especially if they're a regular customer, their vehicle gets priority. I basically weigh my options and decide what actions will keep the most people happy and not cause anybody a hardship (missed work, etc).

Ive spent many late nights away from family to help my customers out of a bind whether self induced or not. Many times when I shouldn't have, like those nights I stay late to finish a vehicle that somebody "absolutely had to have" for the next day and it's still there 2 days later because they just couldn't find time to pick it up. This stuff tends to get under your skin.

A service based business is a thankless job. It's very easy to say what the business should or shouldn't have done as the customer or a third party, but I assure you it never seems as black and white from the business owners perspective.

Rep'd from about 583 levels... I was guilty of being blind to this before I started. Everyone remembers the strikeouts; never the homeruns.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember all the statistics...
It's the only way you can accurately gauge performance, worth, & value.
I am as I stated...a business owner.:rolleyes:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Stihl dealer about 7 minutes from my house. Haven't been in there for years. It was a waste of my time. The Stihl dealer I get parts from is about 25 minutes away.
All that to say, there's lots of Stihl dealers. In most cases, the solution to this whole thread is to go somewhere else. I wouldn't even look in the rear view, just move on and realize the previous place is not the place for you.
I never have anything serviced anywhere. I do everything myself so I have control over the end product. I realize not everyone knows how or wants to fix stuff. I feel for those people because I hear lots of similar stories...

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It can be frustrating, but if you aren't a regular patron who knows "the boys" and can "chew the fat", your work may not get the attention you were thinking was equally doled out to everyone who walks through the door. That may not seem fair, but it seems more common in smaller service industries that are dependent on those relationships with regular customers to provide steady work.

Also, not that I'm saying this happened, but if you drop off a saw, and the shop says "we're a little busy right now, when do you need it by?" And you respond "oh, it isn't that important, whenever you get to it." I wouldn't doubt that it gets put in a milk crate, on a bench out of the way, or in a box, away on a shelf, and forgotten about while a million and one things will take precedence over it. If 6 months go by and you walk through the door and get upset that the work hasn't been done yet, there isn't much that can be done at that point.
Hindsight being 20/20, when you drop a work request off tell the shop a specific time you need something by, within reason, and call ahead on said date if you haven't heard from them. If they say it hasn't been completed, remind them that you "need" it and they've had ample time. Hopefully they'll get to it right quick, as the squeaky wheel gets oil.
Also, of the shop completes your work on time, go pick it up immediately. There's little worse in the shop's mind than a customer who screams they need some work done in an emergency, and they rush the job into the queue, call the customer to come pick it up, and the customer takes his sweet time of a couple days to come get it.
Lastly, always have a positive attitude. Service is a thankless job, and nobody wants to deal with an angry S.O.B. I'm sure they're as happy that you're moving on to another shop as you are to be rid of them.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It can be frustrating, but if you aren't a regular patron who knows "the boys" and can "chew the fat", your work may not get the attention you were thinking was equally doled out to everyone who walks through the door. That may not seem fair, but it seems more common in smaller service industries that are dependent on those relationships with regular customers to provide steady work.

Also, not that I'm saying this happened, but if you drop off a saw, and the shop says "we're a little busy right now, when do you need it by?" And you respond "oh, it isn't that important, whenever you get to it." I wouldn't doubt that it gets put in a milk crate, on a bench out of the way, or in a box, away on a shelf, and forgotten about while a million and one things will take precedence over it. If 6 months go by and you walk through the door and get upset that the work hasn't been done yet, there isn't much that can be done at that point.
Hindsight being 20/20, when you drop a work request off tell the shop a specific time you need something by, within reason, and call ahead on said date if you haven't heard from them. If they say it hasn't been completed, remind them that you "need" it and they've had ample time. Hopefully they'll get to it right quick, as the squeaky wheel gets oil.
Also, of the shop completes your work on time, go pick it up immediately. There's little worse in the shop's mind than a customer who screams they need some work done in an emergency, and they rush the job into the queue, call the customer to come pick it up, and the customer takes his sweet time of a couple days to come get it.
Lastly, always have a positive attitude. Service is a thankless job, and nobody wants to deal with an angry S.O.B. I'm sure they're as happy that you're moving on to another shop as you are to be rid of them.
You need to read this thread in entirety or least my scribing, I didn't walk through the door after six months, I checked periodically and the Stihl Tech "CALLED ME!" whining about his failure last week.
My attitude has been above stellar and positive. I live what I teach & preach which in part is "The Power of Positive Attitude.
I don't need any tips or tutelage on how to properly communicate, as a matter fact I teach those skill-sets.
I've vented on this forum much more than I did to those guys.
When I spoke with them I spoke firmly, but in a respectful and professional manner.
We talked as gentlemen and as civilized people.
All clients have a reasonable expectancy of turnaround time on their items brought in for repair, whether it's a chainsaw or Dodge P/U.
I've been more than patient with these guys...this was the last drop in the 55 gallon drum so to speak...

Last, but not least...I own several businesses and I never consider any of my clients regardless of their malcontent manner an "angry SOB"...my mother & father raised Christian, Educated, and Respectful children...and certainly didn't raise any S.O.B.'s and neither have I!
You've got your folks mixed up here, I'm not the one who receives any of that type of nonsense or isms!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Stihl dealer about 7 minutes from my house. Haven't been in there for years. It was a waste of my time. The Stihl dealer I get parts from is about 25 minutes away.
All that to say, there's lots of Stihl dealers. In most cases, the solution to this whole thread is to go somewhere else. I wouldn't even look in the rear view, just move on and realize the previous place is not the place for you.
I never have anything serviced anywhere. I do everything myself so I have control over the end product. I realize not everyone knows how or wants to fix stuff. I feel for those people because I hear lots of similar stories...
Well noted...I appreciate it.
It's over now, problem resolved, & I'm ok.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What if? What if? What if?......

What if your Aunt had balls? Then she'd be your Uncle.....
Please no pics of mutant auncle's sack!
But I am glad that the "voice of reason" has spoken, I understand all of the aspects from a business perspective that were listed, but based solely on a time frame point of view please crap or get off the pot. If this isn't the ideal business model for you then just don't accept the work in the first place, which opens up a whole new can of Spaghetti O's (allergic to worm's) but be open minded and customer service oriented and profit oriented and just imagine yourself in a similar situation and use all that do unto others stuff as one of the primary tenets of your business model!
But as a customer yes you should expect quality service just like anyone else, but shouldn't expect miracles and be prepared to hear and accept the cold hard truths. Possibly your saw or car or whatever isn't worth what the repair will cost and if the person on the other side of the counter is sincerely looking out for your best interest, use that as a base for your decision making process .
And after all that if neither of you still see eye to eye, I offer mediation services with a $175.00 dollar an hour rate billed on a cost plus basis.

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I agree with most everything that you stated in this post,
But I believe that it is important to remember that we are talking about a 6mo. timeframe if I am not mistaken and apparently no pressure from the customer, so in this situation I believe that it is the business who has let the customer down and ultimately themselves. They should have a fairly steadfast rule as to what they take in and how they prioritize said work! Your daily assessment or triage if you will is very important in all aspects of life and I am sure that it is imperative in a business such as yours. I am sure that you have a loyal customer base, based on your ability and willingness to see and understand that people's lives and livelihoods depend on your understanding of proper scheduling and not allowing yourself to become overloaded with work due to not saying no when you should.
Lastly I think it's a sign of the times that you feel as though you are in a thankless field, I go out of my way to make sure that someone who performs any type of service gets the appreciation deserved.
So for all the aardvark holes out there that have neglected to properly thank you, I will for them, because businesses such as yours keep us going and I appreciate that...

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@CrystalRiver1 you need to find Stihl dealer / feed store place. I have 6 dealers with in 20 mins of me. Two closest I don't even bother with they service commercial accounts and there pricing reflects it. Ones a hardware store and can "order " anything you need. The farthest one from me is a Husky dealer too and the store is awsome. old saws hanging on the walls candy for the kids recliners for the old times. This guy is busy and seems like a dick but is cool.

And lastly the one I always go to is the feed store. I love cause behind the counter is walls and rows of boxes holding parts. They have techs not just a guy and just knock stuff out!

I was just posting this to help ya in your search for a new place.