huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do these different experiences suggest inconsistent quality control?

Philbert
Probably has to do with whether they were sharpened on a freshly dressed wheel versus an old used wheel before they dropped the individual cutters into a tote

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do these different experiences suggest inconsistent quality control?

Philbert
I would guess no quality control for where the chrome goes, just an inconsistency in plating. I wonder if they plate them after grinding? Either way, that doesn't solve the issue of chrome on the depth gauges. The chain I tried sharpening yesterday had none on the DG's but around 10 teeth had a spot in the middle of the top plate filing surface.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no idea. But chain stunk out of box. So I touched it up and tried to use it again. It was better. But brand name chains cut much better.
I think Stihl, Oregon EXL, and Hooskie C85 have harder cutters.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you watch some of the videos, it is not technically hard to make saw chain. A bit tedious, do to many, small parts. But Joe Cox (founder of Oregon chain) started making it in his basement, 75 years ago!

Consistent quality is always a challenge with metal. A bit like cooking: just because you start with the same ingredients, the results may not be the same. Quality Control / Quality Assurance are key. Different manufactures might want different hardness (and other metrics), but they should produce them consistently, loop, after loop.

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good points sir.
It's not rocket science.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't forget different production runs.
I had an Archer loop that had only "Arch" stamped on the tie straps, I still have an Archer loop that has "Archer" stamped on them.

I will soon be done with my remaining 3 TriLink loops, once those are spent on bucking dirty firewood logs I will most likely go ahead and utilize any and all budget chains I have - no name and one Archer.

Oddly enough, high quality brand chains perform much better than budget chains in clean conditions.
Once dirt and mud comes into the equation the brand chains fall flat on their face and the budget chains take the lead.
This statement applies to my experience with Oregon full chisel compared to TriLink full chisel in clean and dirty oak firewood logs!
Experiences may vary!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found oregon dulls pretty quick. I've wondered about how thick the chrome plating can be before cutting performance suffers, but to keep durability, if the thickness has anything to do with it.

EbS-P

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My experience sharpening a 52” twice and a 29” once the archer semi chisel full skip all seemed to be about the same hardness. That said the file (Oregon) was toast after those three filings but the first filing of the 52” was to change the top plate to 10 degrees for a ripping chain. Stayed sharp enough I was able to do 6 full tanks tanks in my G660 and could do two more if I had to on the last sharpening in Tulip poplar.

AuerX

Constantly Confused
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I started doing some smaller clean up jobs around the property And the Archer chain I put on the Makita 36v saw is doing fine.
Really have nothing to compare it to tho haha, but the little saw cuts pretty fast thru various Ash and old Pine I have around here.

It does chatter a bit, But nothing too bad. Also could be me just getting used to an electric saw and all that.

For what I'm doing the Makita is so well suited, being able to just pick it up and hit the trigger whenever needed is priceless when cleaning up a messy patch o woods.

And I love not having to wear ear protection.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as quality control goes ,I bought a 25' roll of 3/8 .063 full comp chisel for some of the longer bars I have.
It wasn't a performance chain new off the roll but hey the price was a little less. I let my buddy try my 066 with a 34" bar try a cut with it and he shot me a look like " seriously?" Because my chains are usually very well maintained.
When I took it home to give it its first sharpening I found a completely unsharpened tooth ,perfectly square and unmachined (wish I would have taken a picture) anyway I sharpened it and they do coat it with chrome first.
It'll be the last roll I buy considering hutzl chain is cheaper and at least machined.

AuerX

Constantly Confused
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As far as quality control goes ,I bought a 25' roll of 3/8 .063 full comp chisel for some of the longer bars I have.
It wasn't a performance chain new off the roll but hey the price was a little less. I let my buddy try my 066 with a 34" bar try a cut with it and he shot me a look like " seriously?" Because my chains are usually very well maintained.
When I took it home to give it its first sharpening I found a completely unsharpened tooth ,perfectly square and unmachined (wish I would have taken a picture) anyway I sharpened it and they do coat it with chrome first.
It'll be the last roll I buy considering hutzl chain is cheaper and at least machined.
Seems to be a mixed bag for some, I never bought enough of it to have any negative experiences I guess.

AuerX

Constantly Confused
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This...
d047bd454daef4c0c23849847955974c.jpg
f2d1939b0941f4a275cf9436bc45cbb9.jpg
I cant find any info on this setup for a Makita, What are the Oregon part # ?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems to be a mixed bag for some, I never bought enough of it to have any negative experiences I guess.
I don't mind resharpening the chain often times I look foward to the first sharpening to really get it cutting.
The next week I was teaching chainsaw classand one of the students had a snafu in the back cut and I had to wedge my bar/chain out with a plastic wedge and no joke I busted a tooth right in half with the wedge. 16272619300338744032809804666985.jpg 16272620105128970715204276817265.jpg
Not a big deal but still I've wacked chains with harder stuff with no breakage.

AuerX

Constantly Confused
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Finally got around to try this combo.

My neighbour had some cut up old pine on the ground for a while as it was too heavy for him to get up on his splitter.
Phil is a 2 tour Vietnam vet and I help him out whenever he needs a hand. So I took the Makita and made it a bit more managable for him.

2 tanks later I was done, I had to tighten up the chain 2 times and at the end it feels pretty dull.
This was most likely because the wood was dirty, on the ground and me getting used to the saw's reach hit the dirt a few times.

It cut well and I felt the whole job was not much of a chore at all.
I do need a few more chains tho, any suggestions? They will cut a bunch of dirty old wood and stumps.
If not, I'm fine ordering a handful more of these as the price is right.

20210803_123833.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full skip certainly helped a lot with clearing noodles.

I really like my PS-550! :)

Habada
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cant find any info on this setup for a Makita, What are the Oregon part # ?

There is no direct kit yet.

You can use the Husq cordless bar setup and add a couple shims to the sprocket. Then modify the bar oiler holes.