High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Anyone tried the Hyway titanium coated cylinders yet?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
12:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn. I see your point. The plating could be worked to help the flats but that seems impossible if your chipping it.
Try low speed tools like a drill and a fine stone
I tried cutting through it first with a diamond ball and it helped but as some as the carbide touched and plating it chipped or lifted. It was lifting with high speeds and chipping with slow speeds.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried cutting through it first with a diamond ball and it helped but as some as the carbide touched and plating it chipped or lifted. It was lifting with high speeds and chipping with slow speeds.

Matters not, I don't think yo could trust the rings to go by it any longer anyways.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for the regulart "nikasil" I have to spend much time using medium or fine rubber abrasives to blend the plating back down to aluminum. I use fine grit diamons burrs to help speed up the process, but even then they chip easily. I'm thinking it is an adhesion flaw, but since it appears to be a slight issue even on some Husqvarna cylinders, it could just be the nature of such kinds of plating. I too was concerned that if the titanikel can't hold up to a little grinding, how can it handle the rings sliding over port edges. At least in stock form, the plating overlapping into the ports helps to hold it all in place.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just for the regulart "nikasil" I have to spend much time using medium or fine rubber abrasives to blend the plating back down to aluminum. I use fine grit diamons burrs to help speed up the process, but even then they chip easily. I'm thinking it is an adhesion flaw, but since it appears to be a slight issue even on some Husqvarna cylinders, it could just be the nature of such kinds of plating. I too was concerned that if the titanikel can't hold up to a little grinding, how can it handle the rings sliding over port edges. At least in stock form, the plating overlapping into the ports helps to hold it all in place.
None of that.
CFB has said he walked the paths not traveled yet and the ground was not right.
Take a different path... move on , you'll survive.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Canadian farm boy

I think the flaking has to do with the way the plating is adhered to the cylinder. With chrome it is plated on top of the aluminum surface, with Nikasil I believe it is impregnated into the aluminum.

With these the cylinders are first plated with a layer of nickel, then a layer of titanium.

Taken directly from the Hyway website:

"Titanikel is made by Hyway company in Taiwan and the National University Materials Research Center as a result after many years of research and trials. Titanium plating is a high-temperature steam plating method. The temperature can reach 900 to 1000 degrees C. Generally, aluminum metal cannot stand such high temperature. Therefore, the high temperature of steam plating process must overcome before the product can be completed.

Titanikel Cylinder means a layer of Titanium coated on the inner layer of the cylinder with Nickel. It is a multi-composite electroplating method. Because titanium is a high-strength metal, only diamonds can be used for grinding after electroplating. The cylinder surface after grinding will become very bright and smooth, it can greatly reduce the friction coefficient between piston and piston ring.

Ti itself is resistant to high temperatures, high strength, high wear resistance, high density, and chemical resistance, so it is particularly suitable for the working environment with high temperature and high strength."

Overall they're good quality aftermarket cylinders in my experience, but as in the past with aftermarket stuff I don't think that OEM tolerances can be expected.
When it comes to the Husky stuff the OEM cylinder kits are so close in price its a no brainer unless you want gimmicky stuff like big bores/pop-ups etc.

But with the aftermarket stuff it makes a machine worth repairing and relatively durable. If you're on a budget or have a saw that needs a good bit of parts it still makes sense to purchase aftermarket stuff for some end users.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Canadian farm boy

I think the flaking has to do with the way the plating is adhered to the cylinder. With chrome it is plated on top of the aluminum surface, with Nikasil I believe it is impregnated into the aluminum.

With these the cylinders are first plated with a layer of nickel, then a layer of titanium.

Taken directly from the Hyway website:

"Titanikel is made by Hyway company in Taiwan and the National University Materials Research Center as a result after many years of research and trials. Titanium plating is a high-temperature steam plating method. The temperature can reach 900 to 1000 degrees C. Generally, aluminum metal cannot stand such high temperature. Therefore, the high temperature of steam plating process must overcome before the product can be completed.

Titanikel Cylinder means a layer of Titanium coated on the inner layer of the cylinder with Nickel. It is a multi-composite electroplating method. Because titanium is a high-strength metal, only diamonds can be used for grinding after electroplating. The cylinder surface after grinding will become very bright and smooth, it can greatly reduce the friction coefficient between piston and piston ring.

Ti itself is resistant to high temperatures, high strength, high wear resistance, high density, and chemical resistance, so it is particularly suitable for the working environment with high temperature and high strength."

Overall they're good quality aftermarket cylinders in my experience, but as in the past with aftermarket stuff I don't think that OEM tolerances can be expected.
When it comes to the Husky stuff the OEM cylinder kits are so close in price its a no brainer unless you want gimmicky stuff like big bores/pop-ups etc.

But with the aftermarket stuff it makes a machine worth repairing and relatively durable. If you're on a budget or have a saw that needs a good bit of parts it still makes sense to purchase aftermarket stuff for some end users.

I would think these will be fine as stand alone DIY kits for folks.
It reminds me of why I chose not to port my Pro Mac 700 cylinder, the chrome plating at the time had a hard time adhering and is folded into the ports to prevent chipping much like the HyWay.
Some things are just better left alone.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think these will be fine as stand alone DIY kits for folks.
It reminds me of why I chose not to port my Pro Mac 700 cylinder, the chrome plating at the time had a hard time adhering and is folded into the ports to prevent chipping much like the HyWay.
Some things are just better left alone.

I think you got the right idea here Steve....I doubt that porting the cylinders was even a test they ran in their development process of the plating itself. Just speculation, though.

How's it going up in the north woods?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you got the right idea here Steve....I doubt that porting the cylinders was even a test they ran in their development process of the plating itself. Just speculation, though.

How's it going up in the north woods?

It's pretty good, hoping the snow holds out for a while longer.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think you got the right idea here Steve....I doubt that porting the cylinders was even a test they ran in their development process of the plating itself. Just speculation
I hearded some BS this morning on Facebook. All *b-wording about how all your parts are junk and your 084 cylinder kits are junk.

Surprised it was not on the Koolaide site.

Haters gonna hate.

How's the coatings been working out on the new pistons?
I mean reports from real builders not well well read Fakebook chaps.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We're gonna find out on the coating, I bought one from the Duke for my 066 scrapyard builder.
Piston looks great and I used to coat all my camshafts in V8s the same way before installation. Its not supposed to last forever but the first 20 minutes are the most important.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands you SOB!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hearded some BS this morning on Facebook. All *b-wording about how all your parts are junk and your 084 cylinder kits are junk.

Surprised it was not on the Koolaide site.

Haters gonna hate.

How's the coatings been working out on the new pistons?
I mean reports from real builders not well well read Fakebook chaps.

Yeah, everyone has an opinion. I'm not really invested in taking advantage of anyone, not sure why they wouldn't bring their concerns to me directly.

I had a guy that made it a point to talk bad about all the parts he had gotten off of us in the past... After I looked at his order history he had purchased one intake boot off of us, but knew exactly everything about what we offer.

But yeah, you got it right, haters are gonna hate and Facebook is overrun with that. Everyone has an unmoderated opinion they aren't responsible for over there.

Feedback on the pistons has been positive, it seems most guys are pretty pleased with them in general. We've experienced a couple of small issues with them, I had one that had a void in the casting and another couple that had the wrong size clips packed in.

Rings are good, castings are good, machining is good, clips are good and the price is right.

Just like how @Maintenance Chief noted, The coding is designed to be sacrificed so you will see some of it wear over time.

Thanks for the input!

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone has an opinion. I'm not really invested in taking advantage of anyone, not sure why they wouldn't bring their concerns to me directly.

I had a guy that made it a point to talk bad about all the parts he had gotten off of us in the past... After I looked at his order history he had purchased one intake boot off of us, but knew exactly everything about what we offer.

But yeah, you got it right, haters are gonna hate and Facebook is overrun with that. Everyone has an unmoderated opinion they aren't responsible for over there.

Feedback on the pistons has been positive, it seems most guys are pretty pleased with them in general. We've experienced a couple of small issues with them, I had one that had a void in the casting and another couple that had the wrong size clips packed in.

Rings are good, castings are good, machining is good, clips are good and the price is right.

Just like how @Maintenance Chief noted, The coding is designed to be sacrificed so you will see some of it wear over time.

Thanks for the input!
Anytime.
Guys probably still in moms basement anyway lol ;)

Hell, you got it made if that was the only problems with them.

I'll have to get my hands on a few, measure them, start a thread and test a few. I'm not scared but I might switch the clips to OEM, the pin and an OEM bearing. That's just me and it's my 084 :/

I have a Cross piston here to test in the 084, some OEM and some NOS. Seems a coated one would be good to test instead of a Meteor. I'm not shy or cheap when it comes to saws so it will be in my ported cylinder mounted on my big mill.

I'm as curious as you how long the coatings last. Expecting to wear out parts in this thing. Trying to keep cylinder plating losses to a minimum so I spend less on that :)

I'm sure the OE crowd is reading this and will be here soon
:argue::cursing::cursing2::grazy: :flaming:

:asz:

Wouldn't it be great if they made super-hard plated 660 jug to test these pistons in :elboinas:

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks for the input!
Do your moly pistons have wider skirts too?

Eccentric

Yes, we do have trees in Wyoming.
Local time
10:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks for the input!

Because they're your garden variety fb douchebags.......

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured I'd risk it and try to widen the exhaust on one of these 660 cylinders, first I got the shape I wanted with a long diamond burr, went behind it with a carbide burr, then a sand paper drum and a diamond ball around the edge, that's as far as I've gotten.

user.jpg

Last edited: