Anderson/Blackthorne M16A3 copy

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still shooting the rifle and carbine and they work great. 100 yards is pretty much the max I can use open sights with any of my rifles. I think I need thinner front sight posts, the thick milspec ones aren't very precise. Neither of these guns have ever had any sort of malfunction, even with cheapo ammo and mags. Sure wish we could get some fast burning rifle powders around here. Loaded ammo is fairly easy to find, not cheap of course.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still shooting the rifle and carbine and they work great. 100 yards is pretty much the max I can use open sights with any of my rifles. I think I need thinner front sight posts, the thick milspec ones aren't very precise. Neither of these guns have ever had any sort of malfunction, even with cheapo ammo and mags. Sure wish we could get some fast burning rifle powders around here. Loaded ammo is fairly easy to find, not cheap of course.
What rifle powders are you looking for?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMR/Hodgdon 4198, 3031, Reloader 7. I have a fair amount but always looking for more. My local shop is finally getting some powders back in so mebbe those will show up soon. They are almost back to normal stock on rifle and pistol bullets.

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I switched to a thinner NM style front post, and saw marginal differences in my groups. The GI width post works fine, as it's all about sight picture. Unless of course the post is so wide you can't see your distant target, LOL!!

I may have a NM "thin" front sight post in the parts bin if ya need one. I tried some on a rifle I had built in anticipation of shooting at Camp Perry, and also in our local Service Rifle matches.

I'll take a look. I know I also have a NM carry handle sight setup, with the hooded rear aperture. Can't remember which "disc" is installed in it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks bro, let me know if you have it. I have astigmatism, which makes things fuzzy when I try to focus on them. The standard front post is so prominent that the "fuzz" makes it difficult to judge where it is in relation to the target. A small bullseye that I can see with the naked eye gets lost when aiming at it, even when using a six o'clock hold.

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have one in the bin. I'll measure it tomorrow and let you know the difference. I have a standard from a "F" marked FSB, two of the extended posts (longer threaded portion and slightly taller post for use in certain F or Non-F applications with an A3 upper), and one of the thinner posts for a match rifle.

I'll get some measurements and pics ASAP.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks! Both my rifles are the flattop with F marked front sight, far as I know they are nothing special.

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, standard "GI" post seems to measure about 70 thousandths on my calipers. The "NM" post I have seems to be about 56 tapering to 58. Also, it's not "square" at the too, it has an incline machined into it. So, it looks like you'd need to have it aligned a specific way. Not sure if that would cause an elevation zero issue or not.

Pics.
Straight on as it's intended to be aligned:
3A9FF06B-4F6B-4564-8A04-5B0D94D4767C.jpeg

Side shot of the incline I was speaking to:
DFCBC367-7713-422B-AF76-11695267D077.jpeg

Sorry they're sideways, they're proper orientation on my phone.

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where is the LOVE button? :0)

Nice examples. My favorite AR is my M4A1 clone with Colt 14.5" SOCOM (heavy) barrel and good ole GI irons. It's pin and welded, of course (not today ATF man). I love irons, but have scoped/RDS'd rifles also.

My eyes are still decent, so I'm good out to 500+ on echo silhouette targets.

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also jealy, as I just noticed those third holes....

Drooling....

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, standard "GI" post seems to measure about 70 thousandths on my calipers. The "NM" post I have seems to be about 56 tapering to 58. Also, it's not "square" at the too, it has an incline machined into it. So, it looks like you'd need to have it aligned a specific way. Not sure if that would cause an elevation zero issue or not.

Pics.
Straight on as it's intended to be aligned:
View attachment 310894

Side shot of the incline I was speaking to:
View attachment 310897

Sorry they're sideways, they're proper orientation on my phone.

Thats strange! Wonder if it was intended to be used with a specific front sight base?

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats strange! Wonder if it was intended to be used with a specific front sight base?

Not that I'm aware of. NM FSBs are adjustable, versus your normal fixed, pinned FSB. That said, they're only adjustable for windage.

I'm guessing you get the zero as close as you can with the post in the proper position, and then you can adjust the drum on the rear sight to get it zeroed on 6/3.

Does that make sense?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, it does. I should probably just pick up a pack of thinner sights and just see which one works best.

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
One I built this past spring.

Attachments

• A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 11
  • A4_1.jpg