All Things 288XP

how57

It’s a city! Not a smoke!
Local time
11:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying. I removed that info since it is incorrect. But, now my question is, in your photo the number printed on there seems to refer to more than one type of filter (since How57’s post seemed to indicate that was the mold # for the top half. What would the oval shaped bottom half mold # be) Also what’s the correct P/N for the whole filter?
I tried to find it on the K&N website. Haven’t had any luck.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure of the correct # for the entire filter on K&N. Would be nice to know if it's still available. I have a new one on my saw and a used one on the shelf

how57

It’s a city! Not a smoke!
Local time
11:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure of the correct # for the entire filter on K&N. Would be nice to know if it's still available. I have a new one on my saw and a used one on the shelf
The numbers from my post were correct at one time. I use to go on their website and find filters with the proper oval configuration all the time. The website has scene changed. Or I’m just doing it wrong. I can only find the round ones. I typed in the mold number on the site and nothing came up. They may have discontinued the oval filter?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure what the differance is but the old style number is RU-3450 and the new is RU-3460. I ordered the old style for both of my blue tops and they fit great. $50 each from K&N.
You da man Dale, thanks. I need to pick up a new for my 281, it’s definitely seen better days.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much trouble is it to replace the arm thingy that pushes the carb lever. Throttle control I think it is. Mines an 89 if that matters. I need to refresh her a little new av buffers and stuff

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much trouble is it to replace the arm thingy that pushes the carb lever. Throttle control I think it is. Mines an 89 if that matters. I need to refresh her a little new av buffers and stuff
Perfect time to swap throttle lever if you're gunna do a/v mounts. Gotta take the tank off to do them anyway. Clean the spring/pin area up good so you can see how the spring sits then remove the screw that holds the pin in. A small screwdriver will push the pin from the opposite side of the screw. Reverse the process to assemble. Eazy peazy.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Is it just out of adjustment, or broken? If she's a bit lax, you could try bending it back after a bit of heat(don't get too carried away there). It's what I did with mine. Mine was so bad it wouldn't go to full throttle.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it just out of adjustment, or broken? If she's a bit lax, you could try bending it back after a bit of heat(don't get too carried away there). It's what I did with mine. Mine was so bad it wouldn't go to full throttle.
I have a similar issue on my 281 builder, won’t go to WFO. Another easy fix is putting a piece of fuel line on the roller, I did that to my 288 and it works great.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s worn bad. I did hear it once i may try again. I don’t use the big *b-word that often but ran a few tanks through it again and it wanted to skip off the carb and get stuck underneath the carb. Had to run it without the top cover

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're worried about damaging it, you can remove it and use hot water.

I dunno if I mentioned it before, but I managed to get a brand new replacement Tillotson 228C direct from the source across the country here in Tralee, Ireland(I'm in Wicklow or Waterford depending on the day). It was something like $75 delivered the same week I ordered.

169010270.IJkLxWW1.tillotson.jpg

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also forgot to mention I now have an Electrolux 281/288. So I own two Electrolux products! Only one sucks, tho.

dsc_2774-jpg.208355
154000625.PzeczXoh.Electrolux.jpg
Wow, the only big Electrolux saw I knew of was the 181. I learned something new today. As far as I know the silver tag is early/mid 80's, 61, 266, 181 and others, Jonsered too. I've had several 181's, 1984's and 85's. The 281 came out in the states in '88 with a black tag. I'm probably wrong and someone here will correct me.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, the only big Electrolux saw I knew of was the 181. I learned something new today. As far as I know the silver tag is early/mid 80's, 61, 266, 181 and others, Jonsered too. I've had several 181's, 1984's and 85's. The 281 came out in the states in '88 with a black tag. I'm probably wrong and someone here will correct me.
I think you’re spot on Dale. I’m fairly confident that black tags came out the year before the 300th anniversary of Husqvarna in 1989.