air hose diameter and impact gun

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a cheap HF 26 gal air compressor, goes to ~120 psi. Currently have 50 ft of 3/8" hose and trying to use a 1/2" HF earthquake impact gun (which is supposed to be good) has little power. I want to upgrade my hose at least. Obviously looking for maximum air flow to get limited use out of a big tool that my given compressor can't handle for more than 5 seconds. The tap of the air tank I believe is 1/4", and the couplings and air fittings are the typical 1/4" size. What's the way to go here or what will be not worthwhile with the given compressor? Would a 50' 1/2" air hose be a noticeable difference or is my choke point the fittings and tap size off the tank and how does one deal with that? I mean if I go by a $800 vertical compressor are those tank fittings and hose couplers bigger? How do you set up to have real "shop air" ?

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a cheap HF 26 gal air compressor, goes to ~120 psi. Currently have 50 ft of 3/8" hose and trying to use a 1/2" HF earthquake impact gun (which is supposed to be good) has little power. I want to upgrade my hose at least. Obviously looking for maximum air flow to get limited use out of a big tool that my given compressor can't handle for more than 5 seconds. The tap of the air tank I believe is 1/4", and the couplings and air fittings are the typical 1/4" size. What's the way to go here or what will be not worthwhile with the given compressor? Would a 50' 1/2" air hose be a noticeable difference or is my choke point the fittings and tap size off the tank and how does one deal with that? I mean if I go by a $800 vertical compressor are those tank fittings and hose couplers bigger? How do you set up to have real "shop air" ?
The capacity of ur compressor is limited, the longer hose and bigger diameter, the more pressure capacity is needed , probably a upgrade would be the favorable thing to do , if ur serious about a real air shop .

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the HF air compressor have a pressure regulator on it?

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. A bigger hose makes a difference. I bought an Ingersoll Rand impact and it wouldn’t work with a small hose.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work in a heavy truck shop. All of our air lines are 3/8 with high flow couplers. Shop air is set at 140psi. The only tool that sort of has a hard time with the 3/8 is the big 1” IR impact gun and even then only when it’s being used on stuff that needs a 2” or bigger socket

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bottleneck may actually be in the size of the fittings used before or after(or both) the regulator, or small internal passages within the regulator. Could try and install a tee and quick disconnect before the regulator....however as mentioned a larger capacity, quality compressor is probably the best solution.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i forgot to look last night, I redid the output piping on the tank and re-doped everything. It did have a regulator, which I never really used, and I took that out, now. But however long ago when using the impact gun yes that was through the cheap little regulator that came with the compressor.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
> Would a 50' 1/2" air hose be a noticeable difference

Yes, far less performance and you will nuke the compressor. That is roughly 118 CI inside the hose itself. It helps to have a regulator, even if it is only set 10 psi above what your tool needs.

I noticed a huge difference going with Milton High Flow V 1/4" fittings on my 3/8" hose. Especially with my cut off wheel tool not stalling in the cut.

Why not go 3/8" fittings? Because the Milton 1/4" fittings are good for something in the neighborhood of 100 psi at 12-15 CFM. The likely hood of me having a compressor rated for that within the next 5 years is fairly low.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The smallest choke point is going to be the biggest limiting factor.

IMHO going the 1/4"hiflow or 3/8" fittting is going to see the biggest bang for the buck.

Air tools are rated at psi @ cu ft min. so even if you could achieve 1000psi not delivering at sufficient volume is the limiting factor which goes back to choke point.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a small compressor about that size, from Napa and I had to add another small 25 gallon tank to the system before I could run an impact without issues. A larger hose, with bigger couplers may, or may not fix the issue, in my experience.

Try couplers and a hose. If that works, great. If not, you have a good hose and couplers for a new larger compressor.

I finally just bought a big air compressor because I wanted a "shop air" system. If a new compressor is in the budget, I'd suggest going that route and nix the small compressor issues.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing you might keep in mind with a long hose .In addition to a remote air tank is the regulator if like you are spray painting which I've done .Install the regulator in the last section of hose like 25-50 feet from the point of use .That way you are pushing air at the highest pressure rather than lower pressure and obvious speed .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might add at my shop I have a two stage compressor,5 HP dumping into either one or two 60 gallon tanks .On at 140 PSI,off at 160 .At the house I only have 3 HP on a 30 gallon, single stage 120 PSI .It struggles to run an impact wrench but I get by .Also I've built up a 10 HP 3 phase on a 120 gallon tank which is a work in progress I can't seem to find the time to finish .

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Volume is the main key. restrictive qd's are the second. look carefully at qd's there is quite a bit of diffrence between various brands internally . some guns require a lot more volume than others even though the pressure is the same.

Deputyrpa

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work in a heavy truck shop. All of our air lines are 3/8 with high flow couplers. Shop air is set at 140psi. The only tool that sort of has a hard time with the 3/8 is the big 1” IR impact gun and even then only when it’s being used on stuff that needs a 2” or bigger socket
This ^^

I have 3/8 hose with the Merlin high flow couplers. My garage air maxes at 175psi @17.8cfs, and I set the regulator for my HF Earthquake 1/2" gun at 90psi. Once in a while I crank it to 120, but not often. Most tools only need about 90psi, but they need plenty of air flow at that pressure.