High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

abused poulan question

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
AVB, you are probably right....the new carb was cheap, so I just got that...hoping that will fix it...

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last 2 Poulans I worked on had erratic idling so I just replaced the carbs (24 bucks on Amazon). Same problem. Going to do a pressure/vac test this week. There's an air leak somewhere! New OEM Fuel Lines, primer bulb and filter (Primer bulb came with and attached to the OEM Zama carbs). We'll see. I know they are notorious for gasket leaks. People ask me why I work on cheap Poulans? Like they say, AFAB (anything for a buck)

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah next step would have been to put a new kit. Amazed no fines made it in there.

New carb will tell you too. Only 10 more then kit. GL

Hourly rate pays the same on a $100 poulan as it does a $1000 saw. So dont matter to me.

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah next step would have been to put a new kit. Amazed no fines made it in there.

There were a few fines in the screen and the tygon hose had separated as seen in other posts. It just surprised me when with a completely new fuel system it did the EXACT same thing, with no real mixture screw response, has to be sucking air

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Could the cracked manifold tube be the sucking air problem? They're a little pricey, so I don't want to buy one unless I have to. It's just a slip on fit to the manifold. Hose clamp? Silicone in the cracks???

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Best to identify the leak first. Carb spray all the areas, one at a time until you make it stall. Then tear into that area whether its intake, base gasket, or seals. A pressure/vac test will confirm. I'll sometimes seal up the intake and exhaust, put 7 psi into it and dunk it into my wash sink full of water to see where the bubbles are coming from.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Best to identify the leak first. Carb spray all the areas, one at a time until you make it stall. Then tear into that area whether its intake, base gasket, or seals. A pressure/vac test will confirm. I'll sometimes seal up the intake and exhaust, put 7 psi into it and dunk it into my wash sink full of water to see where the bubbles are coming from.
Could the cracked manifold tube be the sucking air problem?

I am asking OP. He said he had a cracked tube or something. So was trying to clarify what was cracked.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions....that may all come into play. I don't know if I'll be able to do the carb cleaner test because I can't keep it running long enough...

As far as the rubber tube...It might be number 18 in that diagram (which is cheap). I thought it was called the “intake boot” part #530035581, which is $25 on Amazon. I'll get a pic of it later to post so I can get the identification right from you guys....

And I totally get the expense and trouble to fix a cheap saw not being worth it (especially when it's your business)....To me it is worthwhile simply for learning. I've never done this before, so I'm totally into learning....

Last edited:

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can see the rubber boot thing (connecting tube / intake boot) right there under the threaded receptor for the top cap.

iWrR9rN.jpg

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ones I was working on would idle all day, but erratic up and down. Hope to get to them tonight. Snow's coming Saturday so I know my customers are going to start dropping off their equipment any minute now! Keep us posted.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions....that may all come into play. I don't know if I'll be able to do the carb cleaner test because I can't keep it running long enough...

As far as the rubber tube...It might be number 18 in that diagram (which is cheap). I thought it was called the “intake boot” part #530035581, which is $25 on Amazon. I'll get a pic of it later to post so I can get the identification right from you guys....

And I totally get the expense and trouble to fix a cheap saw not being worth it (especially when it's your business)....To me it is worthwhile simply for learning. I've never done this before, so I'm totally into learning....
That how I learn the repairs. I got a whole full size pickup load of 2 cycles and went to learning the repairs.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ones I was working on would idle all day, but erratic up and down. Hope to get to them tonight. Snow's coming Saturday so I know my customers are going to start dropping off their equipment any minute now! Keep us posted.
Can be crankshaft seals especially if you are operating in different position when it starts to act up.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Kenny, I'm interested to hear what you come up with....

That's awesome, AVB....how on earth did you get a truckload of 2-strokes???

Crankshaft seals sound like a bear to deal with...

Well, my new carb came in the mail this evening. I installed it and my saw felt like a different machine. Night and day. I still need to fiddle with it and make sure it's running properly. But initial signs are good. Here's a quick vid with some cutting after getting the new carb in... Thanks for all the help and suggestions along the way... I'm pretty excited to have her running again...

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yer gonna have to sharpen yer chain. First cut was in the dirt. Not good on the chain or the saw as the saw has to work harder with a dull chain.
Good on you for fixin yer saw. Thats how i learned. Got tired of having to pay someone to work on them and them not running much better. Want something done right? Do it yourself. just sayin
Oh! Seals not so hard. Just the unknown scaring you. Research, read, watch videos, make a tool, and jump right in

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, countryhog....I've got several inches of sawdust there, so hopefully it didn't hit dirt, but it does need sharpening anyway... :)

Yeah, learnin to do it yourself is mighty empowering...and yeah, the unknown is the worst part....I've been googlin, videoin, readin, and jumpin in like you say....it's been fun so far....

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sonoransaw, I would just caution you if you purchased a cheap Chinese knock-off kit on Amazon or elsewhere.

Be forewarned, the Chinese carbs, in my experience, will work for a time then crap out. Just be aware that if the saw starts acting funny it may be that Chinesium material they make their carbs out of breaking down and clogging it up. Just my 2 cents. Congrats on a running saw! Look at the posts about 4-stroking where you set the carb rich so it 4 strokes out of the wood and cleans up in the wood. This seems to be the best way to get the right mixture without a tachometer.