421 Chain size

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pleaee don't make this an oil thread just would like some education. Am on my last chain for the 421 and have read many times that people have converted to .325, but I don't know that I have ever had explained what the benefit is. Was wondering about trying a switch over or not since it's time to buy a few chains. It is so sweet stock, the only complaint is it seems to throw the chain very easily when cutting blocks up higher off the ground like tree tops and the block happens to bump the top of the bar when it falls and I don't get out of the way quick enough.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pleaee don't make this an oil thread just would like some education. Am on my last chain for the 421 and have read many times that people have converted to .325, but I don't know that I have ever had explained what the benefit is. Was wondering about trying a switch over or not since it's time to buy a few chains. It is so sweet stock, the only complaint is it seems to throw the chain very easily when cutting blocks up higher off the ground like tree tops and the block happens to bump the top of the bar when it falls and I don't get out of the way quick enough.
I run 3/8lp on mine and it does a great job.
I'm not sure you will see any benefit switching to 325 on this saw stock.
As far as tossing the chain goes I've not had that problem a single time on mine, you may need to keep your chain a bit tighter or change your technique.
Where are you at in this great state.
Brett

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran both on my 421 after it was ported. Seemed about the same. However, 3/8lp stihl looked like it left a “smoother” cut when I used it for pruning.

I used .325 since the rest of my saws ran it. I also liked running a replaceable rim and not a spur.

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 3/8lp on mine and it does a great job.
I'm not sure you will see any benefit switching to 325 on this saw stock.
As far as tossing the chain goes I've not had that problem a single time on mine, you may need to keep your chain a bit tighter or change your technique.
Where are you at in this great state.
Brett

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought. I'll stick with what I got. I run my chain quite tight just for that reason. Dunno. I have heard people say before they want to keep everything the same size to streamline their filing in the woods. Me, I don't care. I don't file in the woods. I take 5 saws with me now so I will just grab another. I'm about 20 miles SW of Lansing.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 3/8LP on mine. Stihl Picco full chisel is the cat’s ass on these little saws. Makes for great cutting. I square file mine, but that’s mostly just for fun.
I did throw the chain on mine a couple of times, and from what I hear from the dealers it’s pretty common. The tip is a little small on the Dolmar bar, for low kickback reasons.
I replaced mine with a Cannon SuperMini. Never thrown a chain since, and no need to run the chain really tight.
Nate, @fordf150 , has a much cheaper option in his shop performanceoutdoorequipment.com
It is a Total/Tsumura laminate bar, with a bigger tip, and according to him it solves the problem. He can spin up a couple of loops of Stihl 63PS for you as well.

I’ll be picking up one of those laminate bars myself, as I have a couple different 421’s sitting around here. One of my favorite saws, for sure.

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 3/8LP on mine. Stihl Picco full chisel is the cat’s ass on these little saws. Makes for great cutting. I square file mine, but that’s mostly just for fun.
I did throw the chain on mine a couple of times, and from what I hear from the dealers it’s pretty common. The tip is a little small on the Dolmar bar, for low kickback reasons.
I replaced mine with a Cannon SuperMini. Never thrown a chain since, and no need to run the chain really tight.
Nate, @fordf150 , has a much cheaper option in his shop performanceoutdoorequipment.com
It is a Total/Tsumura laminate bar, with a bigger tip, and according to him it solves the problem. He can spin up a couple of loops of Stihl 63PS for you as well.

I’ll be picking up one of those laminate bars myself, as I have a couple different 421’s sitting around here. One of my favorite saws, for sure.
Great info thank you. Been cutting my firewood for over 20 years now but have never gotten into working on saws or anything. Couldn't figure out what I was missing. I will be hitting up @fordf150 for chains and supplies now rather than bite my tongue at my nearest Dolmar dealer anymore. Will check out the Stihl chain as long as it is not as ridiculous as the 2 dealers within 4 minutes of my work. Been several years since I checked, but their loops of chain were well over double the price I was buying Oregon and Carlton for which were just fine for this firewood hack.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great info thank you. Been cutting my firewood for over 20 years now but have never gotten into working on saws or anything. Couldn't figure out what I was missing. I will be hitting up @fordf150 for chains and supplies now rather than bite my tongue at my nearest Dolmar dealer anymore. Will check out the Stihl chain as long as it is not as ridiculous as the 2 dealers within 4 minutes of my work. Been several years since I checked, but their loops of chain were well over double the price I was buying Oregon and Carlton for which were just fine for this firewood hack.
You’re welcome. Contact Nate through the website or phone. I know it’s been a while since he’s been on here. He’s got the bar, as well as the Stihl chain in stock. His prices are hard to beat. Great guy to deal with.
Stihl is the only manufacturer that makes a true full chisel LP chain, to my knowledge. It’s good stuff, and cuts like butter.
@huskyboy and I ran our 421’s taking down a couple of black walnuts this summer. His had the regular semi chisel 3/8LP, and mine had the Stihl chain. There is a noticeable difference. The Stihl chain just makes you smile, after running the other one.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stihl dealer at the corner of m66 and m43 does a buy one get one half off deal on chains.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just a few things to add to the good info here.
The overall cut slot width difference between .50(1.3mm) dl .325 and .50(1.3mm) dl 3/8 lp is negligible .
3/8lp affectively has less teeth per given length so the saw has a easier time pulling it (with the 6 dl drive) compared to .325.
A narrow kerf .325 chain is a good option but all the carful consideration will be for nothing if going to more than the 7 dl drive .
The ultimate 3/8 lp option for "minimal resistance" Iv found so far is the Oregon 90 PX .43 (1.1mm ) narrow kerf chain on a appropriate bar.

Last edited: