395xp Issues

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well now you know it’s time to pony up the cash for a oem coil. It’s one of those things I wouldn’t bother with buying a used one for this particular model. On this model saw, the coil sits right under the muffler and gets hot. Most tree guys and loggers never clean off the sawdust that builds up in there as often as they should.... the coil gets even hotter from all the buildup = failure. A muffler mod in the least would help this a bit since there would be less heat next to the coil.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well now you know it’s time to pony up the cash for a oem coil. It’s one of those things I wouldn’t bother with buying a used one for this particular model. On this model saw, the coil sits right under the muffler and gets hot. Most tree guys and loggers never clean off the sawdust that builds up in there as often as they should.... the coil gets even hotter from all the buildup = failure. A muffler mod in the least would help this a bit since there would be less heat next to the coil.
Indeed, I saw the method of failure once I got the coil out of the saw. To date I've sawn exclusively Fir, Spruce, and Tamarack which all have loads and loads of pitch. The sawdust comes out quite sticky which is compounded by using canola and vegetable oil for the bar and chain. My factory coil was basically coated in dust and I tried to scrape it all off. Too little too late for sure in this case. Now I know to pull the flywheel cover off and clean that area periodically. The tank vent filter was dusty as well so I'm going to soak it in some straight gas to try and re-use it since it's copper. I am considering a muffler mod even though it would be louder. My wife said she won't mind if it is better for the equipment.

The AM coil was definitely a mistake I won't make again.