High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

372xp Cracked Case

Rodney

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I’ve got a good running 372 with a cracked case right at the oil fill opening. I thought about ordering another case and fixing it myself but it would probably end up torn apart in a box and never reassembled. Also thought about repairing with JB weld but it probably wouldn’t fix the massive oil leak. I haven’t had any luck finding anybody locally to tackle the issue. Finally came to the conclusion that I should keep it for a parts saw and just buy a good used one. I’d like to find somebody locally who might take it as a trade in on a good used 372. I live an hour south of Atlanta. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• C56F048C-47B3-4FE0-A168-AB4F4CBF3289.jpeg
    C56F048C-47B3-4FE0-A168-AB4F4CBF3289.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 123

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ouch! I would agree there’s a possibility it could be repaired correctly. Just have to mail it off and wait.
You will have to take it apart though.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a 365 crankcase assembly on ebay right now... might be worth investing in that ...looks like its in nicer shape than yours and would be much more time efficient.

With an injury like the one you have pictured...thats probably not the only damage and the repair would be likely pricey compared to a good used case. Best of luck whatever u decide.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You've been a member since 2016 and have 1 message??!
Well you must be serious about this saw, idk if you want to revive it with a farmertech case or not but it's an option, probably around 30.00

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You've been a member since 2016 and have 1 message??!
Well you must be serious about this saw, idk if you want to revive it with a farmertech case or not but it's an option, probably around 30.00
I have an ebay set of cases bought real cheap. I dont kmow if they are farmertech but they are brutally *s-wordty to say the least.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an ebay set of cases bought real cheap. I dont kmow if they are farmertech but they are brutally *s-wordty to say the least.
Flywheel side OEM case half is the easiest to find, clutch side is usually much harder to find. Go to chainsaw ad in forum and ask if anyone has one? If P/C is in nice condition, crank nice and rest of saw is complete. If mine, I would put new rings, case bearings and gasket seal kit in it. Then you know condition of saw is in great shape.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you thought about sending your saw out to be repaired? There are quite a few guys here that could do the work and treat you right.

Considering the cost and availability of cases and the amount of damage to that case I would say fixing it is not a viable option. Not saying that it can't be done, it's just not worth the effort.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Considering the cost and availability of cases and the amount of damage to that case I would say fixing it is not a viable option. Not saying that it can't be done, it's just not worth the effort.
I agree. Especially with it being the fly side. I was thinking more along the lines of assembly with a different case half.

Rodney

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Appreciate the input. I know the cheapest route would be replacing the case and doing it myself. I’m wary to use one of those Chinese cases so it looks like my best bet is to go the EBay route and get an OEM case
I assume that shipping saw off to have case replaced is gonna cost 300 to 400 bucks once everything is said and done. It looks like I can buy a good used 372 for somewhere in the 500 dollar range. I enjoy tinkering with small engines but I’ve never torn one down and put it back together again.
I’ve got too many saws including a nice 266xp and a rough looking but great running Stihl 038 Mag. Maybe I’ll consider selling off a few saws in order to fund the purchase of a nice 372.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appreciate the input. I know the cheapest route would be replacing the case and doing it myself. I’m wary to use one of those Chinese cases so it looks like my best bet is to go the EBay route and get an OEM case
I assume that shipping saw off to have case replaced is gonna cost 300 to 400 bucks once everything is said and done. It looks like I can buy a good used 372 for somewhere in the 500 dollar range. I enjoy tinkering with small engines but I’ve never torn one down and put it back together again.
I’ve got too many saws including a nice 266xp and a rough looking but great running Stihl 038 Mag. Maybe I’ll consider selling off a few saws in order to fund the purchase of a nice 372.
Here are some pics of the ebay case i picked up for 70$ cdn i believe. Cleaning up the races and mating surfaces looks like a chore. On top of that i am skeptical of bolt holes lining up for all the saw trim like the covers, coil, oiler etc... i keep it around only to see if it will work in an emergency if I need it.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could do it yourself, they are very easy to put together. If your worried about getting the crank in you could get the Husqvarna tool for around $25. Any problems getting it together, post it and I'm sure you would get some help.

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may have a good FW side laying around from a 362. The clutch side was broke, I replaced it with a farmer tech. The only thing I couldn't reuse was the oil pipe. OEM was to short.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take the plunge and just do it...
You have a couple good saws to use while you fix the 372
That case half, New seals,rings,bearings and the saw will be like new

Rodney

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That’s one heck of an offer Leerod! I PM’d you regarding that case half. If I can work out shipping then I’m gonna tackle the repair myself. I assume that it might be good to get a case splitter. Can y’all recommend any other specialty tools that might be helpful?