StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many off y'all would recommend I convert my 372 to non xtorq? Is there really that big of a benefit to doing so? I understand the non xtorq is a more sought after style but is that because it's easier to port a non Stratto engine? My needs on this saw are not in terms of speed just a solid reliable work saw. I currently have a OEM hd 12 with OEM boot and flange and air filter holder. Or would it be better to use the rwj4 carburetor with the boot from the correct me if I'm wrong the 394?

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watch an learn my boy

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piston, cylinder, boot, af elbow, choke lever, cylinder cover, muffler. Walbro HD or Zama C3.

You have a reliable saw right now. All the swap will do to a regulator 372 will just cost you money that you could have just spent to have your xtorq ported. Do you really need to mess with it?

I did the xtorq to xpw conversion when the 51.4 p/c were still on dealer shelves for $149.99. had it ported too. Of course, there is no comparison to stock xtorq at that point!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many off y'all would recommend I convert my 372 to non xtorq? Is there really that big of a benefit to doing so? I understand the non xtorq is a more sought after style but is that because it's easier to port a non Stratto engine? My needs on this saw are not in terms of speed just a solid reliable work saw. I currently have a OEM hd 12 with OEM boot and flange and air filter holder. Or would it be better to use the rwj4 carburetor with the boot from the correct me if I'm wrong the 394?
Not in today's market just have the XT ported beaglebriar did one for me a 2172 jonsereds it's very strong
A OE cylinder kit is 220-260.00 now.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a 365 top end on a 2166 and ported it. Only thing I changed was a 390 boot. Elbow, carb, covers and muffler all worked just fine.

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
260$ for the non xtorq wouldn't bother me going on a 250$ saw. Well 250$ is what I paid for it. Now the thing is I've got a buddy that will sell me his brand new oem p&c for 130$. 380$ all together if I go for that. Atlease that way would no exactly how many hours the p&c have on it. Guy who owned it before me was felling oak with it since 2012. The thing that's got me interested is tunability. From what I read all over the place they are just a whole lot easier. Porting is something I'd just do myself. I've got a foredom xt with probably somewhere around 1000 bits or more for it.

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would not recommend it. I would bet the average Joe could not tell the difference in them unless someone told them... Can't say anything bad about either...

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm leaning towards not doing the swap. My knowledge to saws is pretty minimal that's why I'm here asking. I appreciate you all for helping me out with things.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
260$ for the non xtorq wouldn't bother me going on a 250$ saw. Well 250$ is what I paid for it. Now the thing is I've got a buddy that will sell me his brand new oem p&c for 130$. 380$ all together if I go for that. Atlease that way would no exactly how many hours the p&c have on it. Guy who owned it before me was felling oak with it since 2012. The thing that's got me interested is tunability. From what I read all over the place they are just a whole lot easier. Porting is something I'd just do myself. I've got a foredom xt with probably somewhere around 1000 bits or more for it.
The OE cylinders are getting pricey and some Porter's will port cylinders only
They have recipes and experience porting them
That's what I'd do
I'd find another OE 365 or 371/372 or XT then you'd have 2 saws.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported XT’s can be excellent saws. The OE ports to a faster, snappier saw, but the XT has nice grunt and gets work done with leas fuel. I wouldn’t convert an XT unless the jug was smoked.

And porting an XT isn’t harder. If anything it’s easier because you can remove the transfer covers.