Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the problem continues.
I ran about a half a tank of fuel through it on Saturday and it would come out of the cut lean about every 5th cut. It died a few times and was hard to restart.

I've replaced both crank seals, small O-ring as well as the sleeve on the clutch side.
I've replaced the intake mounting flange with an aluminum one like what was recommended.
I've changed the fuel tank vent to an OEM Echo vent.

The saw will hold 8 psi of vacuum and pressure all day long.

Could the carb be going wonky on me?

Thanks in advance.

That is exactly what my 2071 was doing to me. It ended up being the main nozzle on the 390 carb I was running. Swapping it out solved all the problems.

Otherwise it was run it wide open no matter what. If you let it return to idle it would stall and wouldn't restart. But if it was pegged it was golden.

Took me a while to figure out as it didn't act like a typical carb issue.

Steven

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could be.
Check the inlet lever height, this needs to be dead on if too low and a little light shows between the gauge and the inlet lever it will run lean.
Once the lever is in its proper place, check the pop off pressure to see if something is wrong with the spring(been changed, is an AM carb, been stretched etc..) If abnormally high replace with new OEM spring.

That is exactly what my 2071 was doing to me. It ended up being the main nozzle on the 390 carb I was running. Swapping it out solved all the problems.

Otherwise it was run it wide open no matter what. If you let it return to idle it would stall and wouldn't restart. But if it was pegged it was golden.

Took me a while to figure out as it didn't act like a typical carb issue.

Steven

Thanks for the tips. I'll install a new carb kit and make sure the metering lever is the correct height.
I called to order a main nozzle and low and behold they are on back order so I will have to wait for that.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the tips. I'll install a new carb kit and make sure the metering lever is the correct height.
I called to order a main nozzle and low and behold they are on back order so I will have to wait for that.

Sometimes a good cleaning is all that's necessary to get 'em back working again.
Best of luck.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 372 do similar. The culprit was the carburetor and a fuel filter failure. I replaced both and the saw ran completely normal.
Good to know, thank you.
I'm going to go over the carb with a fine tooth comb, install a new carb kit and main nozzle. Mostly because I want to know WHY this saw is acting the way it is... driving me crazy.