365 help

MinnesotaJon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a 365 that wasn’t running right cheap. Thought it was carb problems I have tried one Chinese carb one zama and one walbro. That’s not it. I vacuum and pressure tested it good. Put new impulse and fuel lines. Pulled off the fly wheel and made sure it didn’t slip or something crazy. Set the coil gap. Has good compression. It still runs hard it like hammers and barley stays running and any gas and it will die. I can’t get a video posted but if any one wants to get invested I can text it or email. Thanks guys any ideas help.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9a332ba8687d661a191d40ab35bb6544.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you’ve ticked off most. Maybe the tank vent?

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adjusting the L needle doesn't help?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

MinnesotaJon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The L side makes changes but it never pulls out of it. What’s a good way to check the tank vent?

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The L side makes changes but it never pulls out of it. What’s a good way to check the tank vent?
If you remove the fuel cap so some air can get in, does it run normal for a little bit?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carb initial settings? I start at 1 out on each then tune. New plug, fuel line pinched under carb plate? Pinched a fuel line once and drove me crazy.

MinnesotaJon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Started at one turn out on both and tried different spots on all three carbs. Changed the fuel filter too. The fuel line isn’t plugged blew threw it into the tank. I have not checked the impulse spout on the cylinder it’s self. I’ll pull the top end tomorrow and check that. Having the tank cap lose didn’t make a difference on running.

MinnesotaJon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried new plug muffler has screen out and extra 3/8 hole. It almost seems like it’s spitting back in the carb when the filter is off watching.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a peak at the coil wire near the top fin on the cylinder. If that checks out I'd try a different coil. Anything from a 340 to a 390 will work, and the corresponding Jonsered models as well. If you can rule out fuel and spark, there's only one more thing it could be.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You changed the fuel line but did you also change the fuel filter or reuse it?

is the impulse line clear? Nothing blocking or plugging it?

Take a peak at the coil wire near the top fin on the cylinder. If that checks out I'd try a different coil. Anything from a 340 to a 390 will work, and the corresponding Jonsered models as well. If you can rule out fuel and spark, there's only one more thing it could be.

IMO this is where your problem is, wouldn’t hurt to use new impulse and fuel lines

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 My brother had a 372 that would run crappy and smoke half the time and the rest of the time it ran perfect. Turns out the coil was dying and it eventually just failed. It was an eye-opener because I thought a bad coil only meant that you wouldn't get spark, I didn't realize that it could make the saw run funny.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carb initial settings? I start at 1 out on each then tune. New plug, fuel line pinched under carb plate? Pinched a fuel line once and drove me crazy.

Did you check for a pinched fuel line like duce mentioned? I’ve had this happen too. If there’s too much fuel line under the carb plate it’ll fold.

MinnesotaJon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well thanks for the help guys would have never thought it was that coil. It had perfect nice bright spark. Switched a coil off a good 359 and it runs like a top. Now does anyone have an extra black coil laying around they want to sell or know where to find one. Any luck with aftermarket ones. I picked this saw up as a play saw was going to tune pipe it and try different top ends so don’t want a new blue coil. Thanks again guys these forums are awesome.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well thanks for the help guys would have never thought it was that coil. It had perfect nice bright spark. Switched a coil off a good 359 and it runs like a top. Now does anyone have an extra black coil laying around they want to sell or know where to find one. Any luck with aftermarket ones. I picked this saw up as a play saw was going to tune pipe it and try different top ends so don’t want a new blue coil. Thanks again guys these forums are awesome.
HL supply has new oem for $100.

Last edited: