Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my opinion @Northtogladwin would be best served getting his new saw, book a slot with @huskihl and get to know his new saw while he waits for Kevin to call, however long that may be.
Mostly as he's local, just a hop skip and jump away, they would get to have a good repour with one another, which will pay dividends when the saw needs serviced later, which is an eventuality. As well as you can drop off and pick up your saw and not rely on shippers doing the box toss.
As much as I like to see my brand on a saw just as much as the next guy does, I know that others can be a better fit with things like geography as in this example.
Otherwise, I would have thrown my hat into the ring thinking I could get it done sooner than the 3 months, but with the ebb and flow of the influx of saws coming in, it's a bit tricky to predict and I couldn't guarantee it either. Then there's Lake Michigan between us...

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3 months is typically minimum you’ll wait for a saw to be done correctly once you send it/drop it off. It’s worth it to wait and have it done right, than to be impatient and pick someone who is an unknown and takes your money, but doesn’t actually produce any gains..
I kinda agree with this but I also kinda disagree with this... there are a lot of guys not on this forum who can machine and port a saw that run like a wild ape and last a long time... 🤔 but that's also providing the operator/owner of the saw keeps the chains sharp, filters clean, proper oil/gas mixture etc.
I got tired of cleaning dirty, nasty saws caked with used motor oil and fine wood dust mixed in with it...
With that said, I know a few no-name (no forum affiliations, no interweb pages) just word of mouth kind of deal people and they can build saws. I know other guys that can build a mean saw with beautiful work that charge $250 providing the saw doesn't need parts etc.
*s-word, I've used saws that were mean AF tore into them and the port work.... well, it wasn't up to "my standards" by that I mean, the port work was kinda choppy and not 'refined'... I jotted that in my notes, took pics... all while scratching my head because the numbers weren't nothing special... soooo 🤷‍♂️

As for Myself, I've built a bunch of saws for people and haven't charged them a dime. Some of the saws I've sunk my own money into them... given it wasn't much, but it's something.
The real test of one's character is to do a job for someone and tell them they don't owe you anything... the real ones won't accept that... as they value time as well as your services... the ones that are looking to get over on someone will be back or suggest that they have other saws for you to do... those are the people who expect the world for nothing and if they can use someone to prosper they will.

Stepping off of the soapbox now. (Works been boring.... muh-bad). 😅

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
6:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I kinda agree with this but I also kinda disagree with this... there are a lot of guys not on this forum who can machine and port a saw that run like a wild ape and last a long time... 🤔 but that's also providing the operator/owner of the saw keeps the chains sharp, filters clean, proper oil/gas mixture etc.
I got tired of cleaning dirty, nasty saws caked with used motor oil and fine wood dust mixed in with it...
With that said, I know a few no-name (no forum affiliations, no interweb pages) just word of mouth kind of deal people and they can build saws. I know other guys that can build a mean saw with beautiful work that charge $250 providing the saw doesn't need parts etc.
*s-word, I've used saws that were mean AF tore into them and the port work.... well, it wasn't up to "my standards" by that I mean, the port work was kinda choppy and not 'refined'... I jotted that in my notes, took pics... all while scratching my head because the numbers weren't nothing special... soooo 🤷‍♂️

As for Myself, I've built a bunch of saws for people and haven't charged them a dime. Some of the saws I've sunk my own money into them... given it wasn't much, but it's something.
The real test of one's character is to do a job for someone and tell them they don't owe you anything... the real ones won't accept that... as they value time as well as your services... the ones that are looking to get over on someone will be back or suggest that they have other saws for you to do... those are the people who expect the world for nothing and if they can use someone to prosper they will.

What makes this whole situation of getting a saw ported is: when you’re a newbie to it, looking to have a saw ported, where do you even start to look? Know what I mean?

It’s real easy to get screwed over, whether you realize it or not, after the money’s exchanged and the saw is returned (if it gets returned). So coming to a forum, and reading through the Builders Review section is a good place to start. Anyone can then read all the praise about a builder, or all the negatives, and start to make a decision themselves about sending a saw somewhere and spending their hard earned cash on hidden magic.

Sure, there are other builders that don’t associate here, some are probably great, and some are probably thieves selling snake oil. So mitigating that risk is the bottom line. And those who have been suggested in this thread are well known, many of them making a living doing it, not just playing around. They produce solid results, and stand behind their work.

I watch your build threads. You’re a talented machinist, no doubt. Would I send you a saw..? …maybe? IMO, the jury is still out on whether or not a saw you build, will make more power, be reliable, and not drink fuel like a sailor on leave. Maybe your saws are top notch already, but how does anyone actually know that?
Don’t take what I just said the wrong way; keep building and get your saws into the hands of people who can provide solid feedback.

Point is, it’s hard to know where to go, and flashy advertising on other social media platforms just muddy the water.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Still have an agenda, huh?

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And still warranty your work…
Yessir. I've had a few saws come back... one was a G372, the carb went... ive had issues with coils, or guys run the saws with the mufflers loose... its not a big deal in my eyes as i have a lot of good used parts. Typically it's miscellaneous things...

Not too long ago I sold my personal saws to help a guy out... his guys destroyed a fee saws... newer saws, 462s 661 and a 500i so he was down on saws...

Prepare yourself for a summary of events... lmao

I had 2 saws come back... the first saw, I questioned because it was a solid runner and has made a bunch of chips... but, things happen that we cant plan for, right?
Well, I dove into it... luckily the cylinder was fine so I cleaned it up and put a new piston in it. The pressure/vacuum test was good, the bottom end was clean and smooth... I checked the carb screws and the H was a 1/4 turn out... i thought that was weird, as i always start with 1.5 on the L and 1 on the H... i also pick up my idle speed.... well, I turn in the H so it's at 3/4 Out... test it, got it up to temp made some cuts, had a decent 4 stroke on top but cleared up under load... the saw went out the door.
Then the second saw came in for repairs the following week. Now, red flags are up... because I cut down 10 trees with this saw 2 weeks prior... he runs a 50:1 mix... his fuel looked a little light in color... but, i have no way of testing it So i assumed all was good in that area... (he mixes his fuel in 5-gal batches).... anyway, i rebuilt the 2nd saw... luckily i had a bunch of good used parts... (I purchased a bunch of used saws from a stihl dealership in which they took on trades)... so I cherry picked through the parts and grabbed the best Piston and Cylinder.
I checked the carb, looked at my notes and sure as a cow *s-words in a field, this saw was leaned out. This time I put the limiters in the carb....
2 weeks goes by and he calls me... hey man, the saw burnt up, it has no compression. Now I'm like WTF is going on with these guys... I'm almost certain i know they f'd with the carb... On my way home from work, i swung into his shop... I told the guy I've never had this many issues, be it mechanical issues with any other saw that I have built... not even the china saws... so I was fairly confident at this point the builds aren't the issue... the first thing I looked at was the carb, they pulled the limiters out (or swapped carbs) and the H was back at 1/4 turn-out. I asked where the other saw was he said out in the truck... he went and grabbed it, I checked that carb... same, the H was a 1/4 turn out... I said I'll be right back... I went to the ATM pulled out cash, when I got back, I handed him the cash and took the saws. I told him I'd much rather give him the cash back and be done with it.
He said he needed the saws, I told him to go buy new saws that auto tune... this way his guys cant run them lean.

Soooo In my eyes I stand behind my saws...

Side note: I've cut 2 tri-axle loads with these saws... without any issues. 🤷‍♂️

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What makes this whole situation of getting a saw ported is: when you’re a newbie to it, looking to have a saw ported, where do you even start to look? Know what I mean?
Absolutely. I didn't know who or where to look until someone said check out YT... not knowing who's who I tried to gain knowledge from everyone I found interesting...
It’s real easy to get screwed over, whether you realize it or not, after the money’s exchanged and the saw is returned (if it gets returned). So coming to a forum, and reading through the Builders Review section is a good place to start. Anyone can then read all the praise about a builder, or all the negatives, and start to make a decision themselves about sending a saw somewhere and spending their hard earned cash on hidden magic.
Agreed. I was simply stating that there are a lot of people outside of this forum who can build a mean saw... like you state, here on this forum you can look at track records whereas in other places it's by word of mouth as well as ones perspective on performance and quality.
Sure, there are other builders that don’t associate here, some are probably great, and some are probably thieves selling snake oil. So mitigating that risk is the bottom line. And those who have been suggested in this thread are well known, many of them making a living doing it, not just playing around. They produce solid results, and stand behind their work.
Yep.
I watch your build threads. You’re a talented machinist, no doubt.
I'm ok... good enough to.get myself into trouble.
Would I send you a saw..? …maybe? IMO, the jury is still out on whether or not a saw you build, will make more power, be reliable, and not drink fuel like a sailor on leave.
The guys I've built saws for seem to like them. 🤷‍♂️ But, I don't build saws to make a profit or to make a name for myself either... it started as a hobby to replace my racing addiction... it worked for a while, then the saws got boring... there's only so much one can do to a saw before impractical redesigns and hefty mods are needed... hence why I'm building a custom saw... smh
Maybe your saws are top notch already, but how does anyone actually know that?
Don’t take what I just said the wrong way; keep building and get your saws into the hands of people who can provide solid feedback.
I get it. I'm not taking it the wrong way, in all actuality I agree 100% with you on this. Different constructive p.o.v.s are always welcomed. Being able to have a civil conversation while discussing various areas, both good and bad is a positive thing.
Point is, it’s hard to know where to go, and flashy advertising on other social media platforms just muddy the water.
Agreed. The risk Is mainly on the saw owner, and nowadays with as many scumbags and *s-word talking thieves, I dont trust anybody... I used to give a person the benefit of doubt... now, they gotta earn a good standing with me. With that said, this forum is a good place to get an inside view of various builders.