288 Hyway Build

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since I have to wait on the o ring, I decided to do a quick paint job on it. Scuffed it with 320 and sprayed it with Rustoleum Husqvarna orange. Not the nicest paint job but it will do.

Attachments

• KIMG0338.JPG
    KIMG0338.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 41

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the o ring yesterday and put new seals and the oil pump in this morning, then did a vac/pressure test and it passed. I'm not sure on the depth of the seal on the flywheel side, I installed it a hair past the ramp on the crank. If anyone know how deep the seal sets in the crankcase I would appreciate it if they would let me know.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it all put back together except the carb, it was catching on the crankcase and wouldn't go down enough to bolt it up. Ground the case down a little, the plastic heat shield and the bottom of the elbow. Started bolting the carb up and now the bolts are a little to long. If I can't find some shorter bolts I'll be cutting these down. I also advanced the timing a little and did a compression check, 175lbs.

Just wanted to add that on the side of the cylinder it has Hyway in raised letters and I had to sand a little off the letters because the flywheel was catching on them.

Last edited:

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I cut the carb bolts off and got it all together. Fired it up in my shop last night and it sounded good but I won't really know how it cuts until I put it in some wood.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pic and video running. It still needs tuned and hopefully I'll get to it sometime next week. Now all it needs is a new clutch cover, on order, and decals.

KIMG0342.JPG

GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good Ronie! Clean saw!

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my new clutch cover and a new 30" bar. Once I put the clutch cover and bar on I'll put up a couple of pics.

Attachments

• KIMG0348.JPG
    KIMG0348.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 17

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Runs real nice. Glad you found some more wood too. That last hunk definitely gave ya all it had:D.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Runs real nice. Glad you found some more wood too. That last hunk definitely gave ya all it had:D.
Back behind my house is a big oak that came down during the last hurricane, I'm going to take the saw back there tomorrow and see if I can get it tuned. It's hung up in another tree so I don't know if I'll buck it but at least I can make a few cuts with the longer bar and get the saw tuned.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tuned the saw a little and made a quick video. It's still a little rich on the low side. I wish I'd bought a 32"bar, it pulled the 30" without a problem. I don't know how it would compare to a stock oem 288 because I've never ran one that was running right. The other one I have will be put together with just a base gasket delete and muffler mod so I can compare them.

Attachments

• KIMG0350.JPG
    KIMG0350.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 14
  • KIMG0349.JPG
    KIMG0349.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 15

Gaz Tipton

OPE Member
Local time
12:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it all put back together except the carb, it was catching on the crankcase and wouldn't go down enough to bolt it up. Ground the case down a little, the plastic heat shield and the bottom of the elbow. Started bolting the carb up and now the bolts are a little to long. If I can't find some shorter bolts I'll be cutting these down. I also advanced the timing a little and did a compression check, 175lbs.

Just wanted to add that on the side of the cylinder it has Hyway in raised letters and I had to sand a little off the letters because the flywheel was catching on them.

Hi Ronie, thanks for this info about Hyway cylinders.

In 2014 I had the same assembly problems with a Meteor 181/281/288 cylinder/piston kit.
This is the problem,- On OEM cylinders- if you check the angle of the intake face in relation to the base you'll find they have a slight slope of about 1.5 or 2 degrees away from vertical which allows the plastic insulator, carb and air filter elbow to slope slightly upwards to clear the casing.
On the Meteor cylinder kit I purchased the intake face was machined square(90 degrees) to the base causing the carb and air filter elbow to be lower and clash with the casing so could not be fully tightened. To overcome this I had to file/wet'n'dry sand the upper part of the intake face to the same angle of slope as on the original Husqvarna cylinder to achieve the clearance needed for the insulator/carb and air filter elbow.
I did inform Meteor about this problem and they seemed very surprised and concerned, that was 8 years ago, so maybe the newer Meteor kits have now been modified, or maybe not!
Anyone else encountered this problem with aftermarket cylinders?

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Ronie, thanks for this info about Hyway cylinders.

In 2014 I had the same assembly problems with a Meteor 181/281/288 cylinder/piston kit.
This is the problem,- On OEM cylinders- if you check the angle of the intake face in relation to the base you'll find they have a slight slope of about 1.5 or 2 degrees away from vertical which allows the plastic insulator, carb and air filter elbow to slope slightly upwards to clear the casing.
On the Meteor cylinder kit I purchased the intake face was machined square(90 degrees) to the base causing the carb and air filter elbow to be lower and clash with the casing so could not be fully tightened. To overcome this I had to file/wet'n'dry sand the upper part of the intake face to the same angle of slope as on the original Husqvarna cylinder to achieve the clearance needed for the insulator/carb and air filter elbow.
I did inform Meteor about this problem and they seemed very surprised and concerned, that was 8 years ago, so maybe the newer Meteor kits have now been modified, or maybe not!
Anyone else encountered this problem with aftermarket cylinders?
I put a Meteor cylinder on my 288 a couple years ago. If I recall correctly I took about .030" off the base and as a result had to relieve the top of the crankcase slightly to clear the bottom of the carb, as well as remove about .030" from the base of the carb/filter horn.

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the o ring yesterday and put new seals and the oil pump in this morning, then did a vac/pressure test and it passed. I'm not sure on the depth of the seal on the flywheel side, I installed it a hair past the ramp on the crank. If anyone know how deep the seal sets in the crankcase I would appreciate it if they would let me know.
Yes its 3.5 mils below the seal pocket, stops the F?W from contactin the seal

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't notice that on the Hyway cylinder, I think it was because I had cut the base but if it was like that and I didn't notice it could have compounded the problem.

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since I have to wait on the o ring, I decided to do a quick paint job on it. Scuffed it with 320 and sprayed it with Rustoleum Husqvarna orange. Not the nicest paint job but it will do.
husqvarna orange is called (real orange) in the tremclad can