Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
2:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://opeforum.com/threads/xtra-sausage-jred-2071.21479/

Link above is from when I bought the saw. It is by far the most fun 371/372 series saw I have run. Even when it was fighting me when I first received it. It still impressed the chit out of me. And now that it's been all sorted out it has been a pure blast every time I take it out.

The saw isn't the prettiest, has been repainted and has some dings. But it flat out hauls. I believe that there was a hokey repair done to the kill wire at one time. I ordered a replacement but I don't think I ever received it or changed it. (I repaired it more solid but didn't have a new wire on hand at the time). I also replaced the fuel line and filter. I used a larger dia kink resistant fasfuel hose on it. I believe I drilled the tank to accommodate. So factory line wont work anymore. Only the tygon and other more generic size lines.

I believe I have both the 2071 side covers I received when I got the saw. They will go with along with the wide husky cover. I don't have the original 2071 carb I traded it for a 385 carb to get the saw sorted out.

$650 f&f and the ride pho.

0922211544.jpg 0922211545.jpg 0922211545a.jpg 0922211547.jpg 0922211548.jpg

Steven

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m tempted just to see how much better an OE is than my XT 2166

No comparison. Hands down. I've never put a tach on this one, but have run it back to back with a xt with a bg delete timing advance and big arse muff mod. And this one just flat out smokes it. Definitely not in the same power class. Kevin builds a mean saw.

Steven

Edit: Now if the 2166 is ported it would be very interesting indeed.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
3:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No comparison. Hands down. I've never put a tach on this one, but have run it back to back with a xt with a bg delete timing advance and big arse muff mod. And this one just flat out smokes it. Definitely not in the same power class. Kevin builds a mean saw.

Steven

Edit: Now if the 2166 is ported it would be very interesting indeed.
Tis ported

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been playing in big nasty knotty dry hard pitchy Aleppo pine with too much off the rakers and the 2166 pulls it through the dogs. But I imagine the OE is snappier.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a living for a few years with ported 71cc and 75cc OE saws and I much prefer those over the XT. As you say, they're snappier and the acceleration is much better.

Some people prefer the XT because they believe the XT has a better torque band. I tried an XT in the woods and it just wasn't for me.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a living for a few years with ported 71cc and 75cc OE saws and I much prefer those over the XT. As you say, they're snappier and the acceleration is much better.

Some people prefer the XT because they believe the XT has a better torque band. I tried an XT in the woods and it just wasn't for me.
I seem to remember EHP? being a massive champion for the XT option JJ, but only if done his way.
For mine, a ported saw in the correct cc class should do it. The exact model semantics, meh...

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I seem to remember EHP? being a massive champion for the XT option JJ, but only if done his way.
For mine, a ported saw in the correct cc class should do it. The exact model semantics, meh...

I know Ed was a big fan of the 562, I never heard his disposition on the XT Adam, but it wouldn't surprise me. Normally I'd agree with you on semantics, but then
again one of my favorite saws of all time is the early 046, so my opinion is not really to be trusted.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been playing in big nasty knotty dry hard pitchy Aleppo pine with too much off the rakers and the 2166 pulls it through the dogs. But I imagine the OE is snappier.
Sounds like you need to buy this one so you can do a real comparison

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
7:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know Ed was a big fan of the 562, I never heard his disposition on the XT Adam, but it wouldn't surprise me. Normally I'd agree with you on semantics, but then
again one of my favorite saws of all time is the early 046, so my opinion is not really to be trusted.
No I think that reinforces my position JJ. To you, an early 046 gets it done. No need to trade your way through every other combination of saw and porter to confirm or disprove, for what, a couple of tenths?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are the type of person who notices how a saw or machine feels, feel may be more important than actual speed or power. I was not a fan of the 2166 stock, that is for sure. Laggy and did not respond to tuning predictably. Much better now. Not like my 2 series or 395, but much improved response and feel wise.