PAST 2018 Upstate NY GTG - Sunday April 22nd

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With any luck, I’ll have an older dog myself.

Well I won't be bringing my SP 80. Gased it up and got it running well and left it in the garage overnight. The fuel tank is leaking so I'll have to get some Red Kote tank sealer. Only available in Canada at twice the price of the US. I'll be looking for a can when I get down there.

Also dodged a bullet as I almost forgot to renew my passport. That wouldn't have been good.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing gas powered in North America.

They are releasing a new line of cordless top handles shortly.
Hmmm. OK. Thank you Steve.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard about the top handle rules. Couple companies involved, and they are approaching it differently. One did the nothing on the truck rule effective Jan 1st. Another told me they can use up what they have, but won't buy anymore of them. Some of it is still in flux. But once the trend starts, I think most big companies will follow it.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I won't be bringing my SP 80. Gased it up and got it running well and left it in the garage overnight. The fuel tank is leaking so I'll have to get some Red Kote tank sealer. Only available in Canada at twice the price of the US. I'll be looking for a can when I get down there.

Also dodged a bullet as I almost forgot to renew my passport. That wouldn't have been good.
Wish my 81 was in running condition

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the deal with them?
They illegal to posses? Like a machine gun? WTF
I think they are saying larger tree companies are banning them. Small time privately owned can use whatever saws they want! Pry my MS200T from my cold dead hands LOL.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the deal with them?
They illegal to posses? Like a machine gun? WTF

It's an effort to discourage one handed saw operation, Thinking is that as long as there are top handle saws on the truck, guys will run them with one hand. So the only way to stop it is to get rid of the saws. Husky and Stihl saw this coming and that is why we have the 543XP and the MS241. Which are light enough that some guys will still run them with one hand. :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And whats so bad about running the saws one handed?
Insurance reasons?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, and most injuries are to the left hand. The whole thing is strange. Everybody knows the rules, and you get fired if you get caught. But most guys are still doing it. They do the "hear no evil, see no evil" routine. Some are adamant that you often need to control the branch you are cutting with the left hand.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, and most injuries are to the left hand. The whole thing is strange. Everybody knows the rules, and you get fired if you get caught. But most guys are still doing it. They do the "hear no evil, see no evil" routine. Some are adamant that you often need to control the branch you are cutting with the left hand.

Not sure about down your way but in BC (Canada) the repair shops can get fined if they work on a saw without a brake.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I thought. Every crew I have seen uses saw in right hand, branch in left hand.
They take small pieces and guide wood down with left hand.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing like that here. Does that also apply to older saws that never had brakes?

My own policy is that if a saw came with a brake on it, it has to be functioning when it leaves or we won't fix it. Some guys don't want to pay for a side cover, but on chain brakes, we don't let the customer make that call. We do work on older saws that never had a brake. The hard part is that middle ground where an older saw has a gutted chain brake, but the parts to repair it are NLA.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing like that here. Does that also apply to older saws that never had brakes?

My own policy is that if a saw came with a brake on it, it has to be functioning when it leaves or we won't fix it. Some guys don't want to pay for a side cover, but on chain brakes, we don't let the customer make that call. We do work on older saws that never had a brake. The hard part is that middle ground where an older saw has a gutted chain brake, but the parts to repair it are NLA.

If they never had the required today's safety equipment, they can't be worked on for payment. That doesn't mean you can't run one or work on it yourself as long as an employee doesn't use it.

Up here employees are protected but if you want to use it or work on, modify it yourself, no issue. Like household electrical work. A master electrician is required but if the homeowner him (or her) self want to work on it with zero experience, well, have at it.

The way it should be.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’ll have to be a summer project. I need a few items just by looking at it.
Muffler
Air filter
Fuel hose
AV rubbers
I’m sure the list will grow as I tear into it

The ducts aren't bad but the muffler covers are obscenely expensive.

I decided to make my own and an H&S spike repro to go with it.

DSCF3588.JPG