Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So here's the issue guys. This piece of metal is suppose to be welded to the crank like the opposite side.
I have had this happen before a few years ago. Simple solution, Either I replace the crank or I reweld
the weight back on. I'm gonna weld it back on tomorrow. These cranks are getting harder to find in
good usable condition.
Simple solution is to never tap on either end of these 123cc Mac cranks. The SP125's have bolt on weights
where all 797's and 101's are welded weights.
Will be going back together tomorrow.

Man I love this saw, Wish we could have had more time to play with it.

View attachment 121927 View attachment 121928 View attachment 121929

This would make a hell of a thread.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Brass is all you will need imo and is worth nothing to most of you.

The SS material is just too hard and cracks from vibes.

When welding weights to car crank throws we used steel on steel when bonding to the the end or outer edges. When adding side weights to cranks we used yellow brass or red depending on the crank material. Softer is better and requires less heat to bond it. Tin solder might be easier. You have little there to disipate the heat.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up some Oregon EXL loops for my 372 and 385 to try out since Cutting Edge stocks that newer chain (which replaces Oregon LGX).

This weekend I'll get a chance to see how it performs. I understand it's a bit harder teeth than LGX/JGX but not that crazy hard stuff like Stihl RS.
I don't mind putting a quick edge on chain, so I prefer Oregon LGX over Stihl RS.
Will be interesting to see how much difficulty it adds w/ the harder metal EXL chain.
Oh and I just round file -- no square for me... yet. Square filing is on the list of things to learn.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I picked up some Oregon EXL loops for my 372 and 385 to try out since Cutting Edge stocks that newer chain (which replaces Oregon LGX).

This weekend I'll get a chance to see how it performs. I understand it's a bit harder teeth than LGX/JGX but not that crazy hard stuff like Stihl RS.
I don't mind putting a quick edge on chain, so I prefer Oregon LGX over Stihl RS.
Will be interesting to see how much difficulty it adds w/ the harder metal EXL chain.
Oh and I just round file -- no square for me... yet. Square filing is on the list of things to learn.
Cool. Got this 404h. Got more of a different kind to test out milling. It all came from TCE.
Tested that Carlton loop chain in 3/8" 050 chisel. Good stuff out of the box. Has room to improve with a round file.
Did not get to test the Carlton semi chisel 3/8" 058 yet. Grind looks good. Chain is the old black anodized coated.

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. Got this 404h. Got more of a different kind to test out milling. It all came from TCE.
Tested that Carlton loop chain in 3/8" 050 chisel. Good stuff out of the box. Has room to improve with a round file.
Did not get to test the Carlton semi chisel 3/8" 058 yet. Grind looks good. Chain is the old black anodized coated.
:grazy: Huh? Must be I had a bad batch. Mine were fisted... Took at least 2-3 swipes to get to where I felt like I would run them. Too soft for my liking. Took a while before I got to where I was content with them. Bars are good stuff but not nearly impressed the chains. Just my opinion I suppose.