2017 MMWS GTG Box Saw Build Off Rules

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
8:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello, new guy here hoping to get added to the list for the 066/MS660 clone. Watched the vids of the bolt by bolt from a member here. I'm currently rebuilding two 362's and getting ready to start on two 192t's. This looks like a solution to my need for a very occasional big wood saw.

ETA:. Just noticed Chainsaw Conservation Components. I bought some OEM parts for the 362's for his eBay store.
CCC sells lots of good parts and is a good dude to deal with.
He is also a member here

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just my opinion.

I think class 3 should exclude any funny fuel and the builder must use the supplied chain.

I think that levels the playing field more. Puts emphasis on engineering the motor to make the most power.

Adding racing chains and nitromethane won't allow us to fully evaluate what worked and what didn't.

I personally don't see the fun in a guy kicking the shít outa someone cause he ran nitro and the other guy didn't. I realize engineering plays a role in a saw's ability to be able to run nitro and keep the crank intact.

Maybe class 3A, 3B and 3C?

B for race chains, C for race chains and whatever fuel you want.

I know it complicates things, but running nitro seems to be a cheat in what we are trying to do here. Same with the chain thing. I thought the point of it all was to build the best saw we could with the parts we were provided and the mods to the saw we each chose to do.

Just my $.02 which clearly does not need to be heeded.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just my opinion.

I think class 3 should exclude any funny fuel and the builder must use the supplied chain.

I think that levels the playing field more. Puts emphasis on engineering the motor to make the most power.

Adding racing chains and nitromethane won't allow us to fully evaluate what worked and what didn't.

I personally don't see the fun in a guy kicking the shít outa someone cause he ran nitro and the other guy didn't. I realize engineering plays a role in a saw's ability to be able to run nitro and keep the crank intact.

Maybe class 3A, 3B and 3C?

B for race chains, C for race chains and whatever fuel you want.

I know it complicates things, but running nitro seems to be a cheat in what we are trying to do here. Same with the chain thing. I thought the point of it all was to build the best saw we could with the parts we were provided and the mods to the saw we each chose to do.

Just my $.02 which clearly does not need to be heeded.
I think building the best saw with the provided parts will be in class 2.

Class three was suppose to be anything goes and put whatever parts on top of the Asian crank. So there isn't really anything level about class 3 anyway

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think building the best saw with the provided parts will be in class 2.

Class three was suppose to be anything goes and put whatever parts on top of the Asian crank. So there isn't really anything level about class 3 anyway
Agreed. If you don't want funny fuels run in class two

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Guess we all have different goals here, which is fine.

Was thinking Nitro may explode anyway.

Chains being ground at Randy's or before hand?

Who supplies the 32" bar?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Guess we all have different goals here, which is fine.

Was thinking Nitro may explode anyway.

Chains being ground at Randy's or before hand?

Who supplies the 32" bar?
Honestly without class 3 I had no interest in building one. This class let some of us that get bored with worksaws something to build and join in with everyone else.

Chain is going to be new off the roll for the other classes. I've got 1 32" .050" es wide nose and give Randy another one just like it a few years back. There's several others that will have bars I'm sure. I need to start on my chain now for that class probably. 105 dl is a good bit of chain to work over.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello, new guy here hoping to get added to the list for the 066/MS660 clone. Watched the vids of the bolt by bolt from a member here. I'm currently rebuilding two 362's and getting ready to start on two 192t's. This looks like a solution to my need for a very occasional big wood saw.

ETA:. Just noticed Chainsaw Conservation Components. I bought some OEM parts for the 362's for his eBay store.

Don't let that guy on your lawn with a Saw.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see the chains being the big separator in class 3. I think some guys don't want to bother building as strong a saw as they can, only to be humiliated by a mediocre saw with a superior chain. Not many guys know how to file a race chain, never mind then setting it up for a particular saw and wood.
It may keep some from building a saw for this class, which is a shame cuz who knows what cool things guys may come up with.

That being said, I don't care where I come in, so I'll be building for all 3 classes if I can. I'm going to try like hell!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see the chains being the big separator in class 3. I think some guys don't want to bother building as strong a saw as they can, only to be humiliated by a mediocre saw with a superior chain. Not many guys know how to file a race chain, never mind then setting it up for a particular saw and wood.
It may keep some from building a saw for this class, which is a shame cuz who knows what cool things guys may come up with.

That being said, I don't care where I come in, so I'll be building for all 3 classes if I can. I'm going to try like hell!

I'm gonna stick with Class 2. I'm a firm believer that a guy needs to do one thing......and try to do it well. So I plan to lose well. :D

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I could be wrong but I'd imagine if someone can build an all out race saw they can also make a chain, if not they know someone who can.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could be wrong but I'd imagine if someone can build an all out race saw they can also make a chain, if not they know someone who can.

I'm just speaking from what some have said off forum. And when a guy who can file a great race chain says he needs to start now, 7-8 months out... That's intimidating!