200T loops for a friend

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the hats and T-shirts Jon. Al came over yesterday and was talking about going to the local Stihl dealer in his new hat. The dealer was taken back, he hadn't seen a hat with the old Stihl logo on it. Al told him about the saw Randy built him (200T) with a light 14" bar - the dealer was impressed.

The one-armed bugger has been 'showing off' his new cutting ability with various members of the family. He doesn't think he'll ever use his old saw again. I told him he always had a back-up in an emergency, but he loves the way the new saw cuts and I don't think he could ever go back to a stock saw.

Thanks to all the fellows that chipped in to make it a bit easier to get through this rough period in his life.

EDIT: Al's saving his new T-shirt for a special occasion. It's too bloody good to use around the shed, maybe he'll wear it at his nephew's wedding in a few days (this is bush country, just roll with it).

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome stuff....just go easy on the vegimite Jon, spread it thin on bread or toast with butter, its good stuff. Question for Terry: How do you & Al sharpen your chains? Grinder or with hand files?

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you & Al sharpen your chains? Grinder or with hand files?

Al files by hand, like with one hand. How he does everything with that one hand amazes me. Sometimes when I'm working I want a third hand.

I mostly hand file. I've got a grinder, but I only pull it out after I have a few buggered up chains that have tried to saw through rocks. Presently, I only have one chain hanging on a nail. I've had some good luck lately as that one chain has been hanging there for more than 6 months. - I probably shouldn't have kept my mouth shut, the next time I go cutting I may come back with another couple of chains for that nail.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Al files by hand, like with one hand. How he does everything with that one hand amazes me. Sometimes when I'm working I want a third hand.

I mostly hand file. I've got a grinder, but I only pull it out after I have a few buggered up chains that have tried to saw through rocks. Presently, I only have one chain hanging on a nail. I've had some good luck lately as that one chain has been hanging there for more than 6 months. - I probably shouldn't have kept my mouth shut, the next time I go cutting I may come back with another couple of chains for that nail.
You two are quite the lot.

Please get a picture of Al headed off to his nephew's wedding in his Stihl shirt....LOL!

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's different. Very strong flavor, like a bullion paste, but more earthy.

With a description like that, I'm sure Wayne (Dub11) is happier with the jar of 'Nutella' I sent him - a smooth spread of chocolate and hazelnuts.

I always figured Vegemite was a marketing idea. There was all this brewer's yeast left over from the beer brewing process. - "What the Hell we gonna do with all this crap?" "I don't know, hey, hold my beer, I've got an idea." - Marketing genius... "we'll call it a 'health food', everybody knows health food tastes like sh!t"

Last edited:

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
With a description like that, I'm sure Wayne (Dub11) is happier with the jar of 'Nutella' I sent him - a smooth spread of chocolate and hazelnuts.

I always figured Vegemite was a marketing idea. There was all this brewer's yeast left over from the beer brewing process. - "What the Hell we gonna do with all this crap?" "I don't know, hey, hold my beer, I've got an idea." - Marketing genius... "we'll call it a 'health food', everybody knows health food tastes like sh!t"
LOL!

I actually like it, but then again, I like strong flavors(sharp cheeses, anchovies, pickled eggs, etc).

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL!

I actually like it, but then again, I like strong flavors(sharp cheeses, anchovies, pickled eggs, etc).

I got a good recipe for some pickled jalapenos you could try. I got it from my neighbor lady who also makes some really good jalapeno pepper jam.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually like it

I'm diabetic so I can't use something like a lovely strawberry preserves or blackberry jam. If I get a nice piece of toast with real butter on it, I use the Vegemite - delicious.

You just have to leave it out on the table when a mate comes over and suggest he tries it. Guaranteed he will smear it on like peanut butter. The look on his face when he takes a bite is worth the beating you take afterwards.

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OXO used to make a spread like bovril, it was beautiful on buttered toast

That and salted dripping on toast are epic

Miss my Nan :)

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, different foods from around the world. When I was in Japan I got a taste for dried kelp, shrimp and octopus, I never figured I'd actually go looking for something like that to eat. I've had stuff from all over the world and now I'm willing to try anything, at least once.

I couldn't stomach sea urchin roe, it made me gag, but Maoris in New Zealand will walk along the sea shore and crack them open and scope out the roe with a spoon as a delicacy. And then there is 'sour root'. I had that in the Marshall Islands that a couple of Philippine woman cooked up. They hadn't had it for years and were over the moon about how great it was - have you ever had alum where your mouth dries out and it feels like your tongue is swelling up?