2 Series Husqvarna top cover thread repair

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the plastic heat setting brass inserts. I think it will work well, plus you get 50 for the price of 1-10 threaded inserts, and they have a smaller OD: 1/4" instead of 5/16" if I remember correctly.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the plastic heat setting brass inserts. I think it will work well, plus you get 50 for the price of 1-10 threaded inserts, and they have a smaller OD: 1/4" instead of 5/16" if I remember correctly.
I think it has a good chance. If you try it let us know. I’ve been lucky enough to go up a size in drill bit and use the larger insert. Gotta be careful not to break them that way though. I did my 288 or one of my 272 that way.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will say one thing for the way I've been doing this and that is more times than not when I drill and tap for the heli coil it usually catches metal at the bottom of the "waller".
I also mix clean aluminum shavings from porting new cylinders and mix some in with the marine Tex, this being about the only change I've made as of yet.
I'm sure that there's fifty different ways to go about this, I just try and think of the best advantage for success I can come up with.
You fellas come up with something better, then by all means please let us know and remember, it was already broken when you tried to fix it...

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My plan is to use a narrow step drill to get some alignment in the waller, then finish with a normal drill bit. Then a bit of surface prep and glue in the brass insert. We'll see next week. Brass shouldn't be hard to drill out again if they neglect loose screws again.

John235

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
288xp timesert repair. I found these online for 2$ a piece. Only have to tap the the hole 1 size up. Instead of buying expensive kit. I just bought a tap. Drilled it, tapped it, ground end of tap off to get threads all the way to bottom of hole. I installed the timesert buy first threading a cover screw into timesert then screwing both into case with loctite. The timesert isn’t thread all the way through so the cover screw bottoms out and allows u to screw into case. In the end it was a little shallow. I ground about 3/16 off cover screw. But still have a good 3/8” of threads holding cover down