182 right angle with Foredom model S

Livtohunt

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It will work as long as your burr isn’t any bigger than its shank
Scratching my head trying to make sense of your statement. It’s not easy having this density of denselessness ;-)

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scratching my head trying to make sense of your statement. It’s not easy having this density of denselessness ;-)
The “wrench” to lock the spindle goes on the back when you tighten the collet. It has a hole just over 1/8” in diameter. If your left hand burr is over 1/8” diameter, the spindle wrench won’t come off once you tighten the collet

Livtohunt

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The “wrench” to lock the spindle goes on the back when you tighten the collet. It has a hole just over 1/8” in diameter. If your left hand burr is over 1/8” diameter, the spindle wrench won’t come off once you tighten the collet
So it’s a box end wrench ? No other way to tighten it ?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it’s a box end wrench ? No other way to tighten it ?
It’s the black piece in the pic. It wraps around the whole backside with two fingers that protrude into the head to lock the spindle. The pic also has the burr sticking out of the back side as it’s shown. You can barely see the hex on the collet sticking out of the top as it is, which is normally the side your burr protrudes from

upload_2021-1-8_13-53-2.jpeg

Livtohunt

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It’s the black piece in the pic. It wraps around the whole backside with two fingers that protrude into the head to lock the spindle. The pic also has the burr sticking out of the back side as it’s shown. You can barely see the hex on the collet sticking out of the top as it is, which is normally the side your burr protrudes from

View attachment 276564
Ahh ok I do believe I got it now. In the case of a larger cutter head than the shaft size, could a guy possibly put a small flat blade screwdriver just enough inside where the flex shaft tab would go and hold it there just enough to put ample tension on the cutter to lock it in place ?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh ok I do believe I got it now. In the case of a larger cutter head than the shaft size, could a guy possibly put a small flat blade screwdriver just enough inside where the flex shaft tab would go and hold it there just enough to put ample tension on the cutter to lock it in place ?
There isn’t much room in there, but maybe. A guy may be able to fab something up that was shaped like a horseshoe.

In my experience, chattering is more about how you hold the handpiece. Usually all that is required is a slight change in the angle of the handle. Tighter grip helps also. Not saying that it will totally prevent it, but I’ve seen it help.

It also works better if you go up into the corner away from you rather than go left into the corner. And then once you get high enough, it’s pretty easy to sweep to the right from there.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There isn’t much room in there, but maybe. A guy may be able to fab something up that was shaped like a horseshoe.

In my experience, chattering is more about how you hold the handpiece. Usually all that is required is a slight change in the angle of the handle. Tighter grip helps also. Not saying that it will totally prevent it, but I’ve seen it help.

It also works better if you go up into the corner away from you rather than go left into the corner. And then once you get high enough, it’s pretty easy to sweep to the right from there.

I covered my adapters in thick heat shrink to get a better grip. I've seen others use hockey tape.

Livtohunt

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Thank you for the tip, I watched a bunch of TJ’s video and yes I see how speed and cutter head approach angle can certainly effect how they chatter or keeps it to a minimum.
My 182 is Currently sitting with customs so hopefully I’ll see it soon

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you’re planning on doing regular port work you should probably just get a reversible Foredom. Especially if doing small jugs that require diamond burr work. Having multiple hand pieces will save a lot of time as well.

Livtohunt

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes I suppose it would be a good idea to have a reversible motor to make work easier and more efficient. Is the SR the one to get??

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s what I have. I’m happy with it but don’t know much else. I do a lot of diamond grinding so I reverse a lot, sounds like other guys don’t. I also have an old non-reversible with an HF pedal. I like the SR for the 90 degrees and the 44s mostly live on the other one.

Livtohunt

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Having reverse would certainly make life easier. Too bad there wasn’t a way to get the older Foredoms to work both ways but I’m guessing the way the armature is wound it’s not possible

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having reverse would certainly make life easier. Too bad there wasn’t a way to get the older Foredoms to work both ways but I’m guessing the way the armature is wound it’s not possible

Some you can, and some have biased windings and only run 2/3 speed/power when you reverse them.

Livtohunt

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Surely it wouldn’t be so simply as reversing the polarity between switch and armature ?