181se rebuild - carb and coil?

George Jones

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi,
I got my hands on a 181se, I run 395s full time in the woods so this is kind of a nostalgia project. Want to turn it into a solid worksaw. The piston and cylinder are pristine. I got a vstack, planning to open the muffler, base gasket delete and advance timing at the flywheel key by .020".

The yellow wire had sheared off at the primary coil and the black wire was chewed too so i will need to replace the coil. Secondary coil looks fine. Is there another coil that might work better that could fit?

The carb seems pretty clean but I will probably rebuild as its been sitting for years, and this was the dirtiest saw Ive ever seen. Is there another option for carbs that could work better? I know that these saws start hard when hot, anything I can do to help this?

Thanks!!

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
3:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sounds like you have the early black primary coil that had the kill switch wires potted in. Suitable replacement ignitions for those are the ones found on 281/288 and Jonsered 820/830/920/930.

I've not heard of any other coils that are a direct bolt-in replacement. The factory carb for those should work fine. I've not heard of any hot-start problems with these saws and I've owned in the
neighborhood of 30 181/281/288 saws over the years.