User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Three pics of it:

IMG_5964 (Large).JPG

IMG_5963 (Large).JPG

From inside the other corner (same side) of the house:

IMG_5965 (Large).JPG

Job is to get the tree on the ground. No cleanup, stump grinding etc. I plan to see if I can find a sawmill to mill the trunk and get some nice axe handles out of it.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

P.S. If this is the wrong sub-forum, please move as needed. Thanks,

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe they were miffed that you aren't giving them the logs. That's an awesome tree! (at least if it's solid)
1000 doesn't shock me if it is in range of the house. It's a little hard to tell from the pics.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor, former retired logger, would drop that thing for a gallon of B&C oil in half a heartbeat.
Two heartbeats if it is a leaner and/or close to the house in which case he'd climb the tree and rig it to his tractor & winch to help pull it in the correct direction.

Any skilled forum members close to You to drop it?
Arrange drinks and a BBQ?
Saturday AM job, Saturday PM GTG.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
If it’s just a notch and drop job I’d say that’s pretty steep but if it has to be pieced down it’s probably about right.
I’m with you. I typically only charge 1/2 that if it’s a simple drop it and walk situation. By the time I add in all the business expenses I maybe get to keep 1/3 of that though. I will say that different markets around the country command different prices. I’m not sure what the cost of living is where the op lives for example. It would be a little steep for my market here in the central mitten region though.

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you just cutting it for the handles?
No, it's coming down because a) it's a dead standing tree and b) its close to the house.

I've already had huge Shagbark Hickory come down near the house; don't want it again.

IMG_20200503_174304267 (Large).jpg

IMG_20200503_174202466 (Large).jpg

No damage to the house, but about $500 to the Pathfinder.

Made this outstanding anvil stand out of the stump:

IMG_1892 (Large).jpeg

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My neighbor, former retired logger, would drop that thing for a gallon of B&C oil in half a heartbeat.
Two heartbeats if it is a leaner and/or close to the house in which case he'd climb the tree and rig it to his tractor & winch to help pull it in the correct direction.

Any skilled forum members close to You to drop it?
Arrange drinks and a BBQ?
Saturday AM job, Saturday PM GTG.
I’d do it for that, a 6pk and a couple handles. Ok, maybe lunch, too…

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So…why not drop your own tree?
My feeling as well.

I’ve resorted to using cable on trees and pulling with a bobcat after getting it as high as possible. Slingshot or extension ladder. Make a slip loop with some clamps. It’s pretty foolproof provided you stay on it with tension and have a helper.

If it’s next to and over a house, $1k sounds reasonable for a climber and helpers to drop it piece by piece. To notch and drop it, it seems overpriced.

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds about right to me.

500.00 to mobilize equipment and move to the site
500.00 for the work (take out insurance, bonding, etc; taxes; equipment depreciation; etc)

Depending on the person and their company, could be making a minimal amount and that's the least they would quote a job for.

Maybe add a second tree and see what the cost increase is. My thought is the price shouldn't go up much since "already there".

Reactions: Lnk

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds about right to me.

500.00 to mobilize equipment and move to the site
500.00 for the work (take out insurance, bonding, etc; taxes; equipment depreciation; etc)

Depending on the person and their company, could be making a minimal amount and that's the least they would quote a job for.

Maybe add a second tree and see what the cost increase is. My thought is the price shouldn't go up much since "already there".

That seems pretty high. Our “show up” minimum is $375 and that buys you 3 people for an hour and a chipper. I understand driving costs could be a lot more and infrequent work means your carrying costs for longer between jobs, but I still think $700 would cover everything and then some.

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the chain for?
More mass and deadens the sound.

That chain is over 100 years old. I found it near the Little Econ River in central FL over 45 years ago just north of the Orange/Seminole county line. it was next to a bunch of 12-14' diameter Cedar stumps that had been logged back in the 1920's.