066 vs ?

MemphisMechanic

Unreliable Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Stump and Al have stated, the jump from the 390 to the 395 chassis is quite a big step.

Definitely.

I really need to build my Sithl 046 and throw a 36” on it.

I do a lot of clearing & storm cleanup professionally, and 90% of the time I’m running a 372XP w/ a 32” on it.

Much of that would be better suited to the 395 with the 42” … but I ain’t man enough to lug that brick around and the 372 is hardly gutless. 😂

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I was out in the shop today and had a chance too line up the saws for a chassis size perspective, sorry I don’t have a 066 to compare…

1st up 3120 and 395

IMG_2013.jpeg

395 and 390

IMG_2014.jpeg

390 and 680 Solo

IMG_2015.jpeg

680 Solo and 7900 Makita

IMG_2016.jpeg

7900 Makita and 272

IMG_2017.jpeg

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 592 is quite a saw. I personally really like them! But I’ve heard some guys hating on them (maybe they were Stihl guys…🙈) because they tend to 4-stroke in the cut like no tomorrow if you don’t update your operating strategies to match the present tech the 592 has u see it’s covers. I liked every 592 I have run. Power, balance, A-1 anti vibe, easy starting, and every other positive thing you may want. But that are a different saw that maybe not everyone just falls in love with. And I’m not gonna be threatened by anyone else’s opinion…

The 390 is more an old-school saw that doesn’t disappoint either. I have one I cut my wood with. Absolutely like it. No complaints. One tip with the 390 is they need the exhaust opened significantly and if you wish to realize potential tho. They do tend to be a bit sluggish out of the box but respond well to a few well picked upgrades.

Just my humble opinion…
Your words here👍 I must go back in this post and see the first one👌The best saw on the shelf bar none. If its fourstroking it needs to be tuned via ripping (Autotune still needs this when severe altitudes change also) it wont do it itself while cross cutting. The other thing is, if you hook in and dog them hard straight up they cut on torque at lower revs, give them a slight second with less pressure and they cut at higher rpm, up to 3grand. Full chisel skip 😉

Reactions: Lnk

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And I should have said, a 390 can be made to keep up with a stock 592. It boils down, I think, to what ever saw feels right in your hands. And in that field, I have no desire to persuade you one way or another!
Exactly, because if you are thinking in anyway i dont like how the saw feels when i do this or that, its unsafe, the mind complete without niggling things at such makes for safer days👌

Reactions: Lnk

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7 years ago I sent my big saws down the road. I did not think I would need them when I moved. I had a ms660 and a 298. I want a new big saw. We are a husqvarna dealer where I work so I get dealer prices. Speed and torque wise, what is the husqvarna equivalent to a ms660?
660 in my opinion ain’t close. Vibrates more, uses more fuel, unergonomic, and that damn filter has to be cleaned between refills at times. I own both, among quite a few other saws, started on 090’s in the eighties, the 592 is the nicest saw i’ve used & it never argues just stick it and pull the trigger no twisting no stalling, luv it. Skiptooth, full chisel, 32:1, 3point wcs dogs, fullwrap & duralite's 👌 other than that its stock👍

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is spot on analysis. If you want a comparable runner, that’s still lighter, a 390 will do the trick. It won’t vibrate as much either. It has that stupid Husqvarna chain tensioner that’s in the cover, though.

A 592 will outperform an 066 while being very user friendly, to an end where you probably won’t want to run your 066 again, and still a little lighter than a non-flat top 066. Still Husqvarna’s design of side chain tensioner.

A 395 will put a smile on your face with a 36 or 42” bar and just walk away from your 066 with anything longer than a 28. But it’s got a front tensioner, so I suggest against getting your bar stuck…
Good points on user friendly. I guess I never realized how much the 66s and 660s vibrated. Until I got a 395. Then I truly felt the difference. Did not care to run 660s anymore. Ton of vibration. Getting stuck good point. And adjuster point too. Bit the outboard clutch can get you too, as my Timber falling Amigo pointed out. But for the big saws I like the outboard. Dagan my friend said he had a couple pinched, could not get chains loose to remove bars from powerheads
Said he had to bust a few chains with an Axe. I never had a problem, until he told me the story. A week later I pinched the bar on the 395, had to pull the bar it was not fun:) I've never run a 592, many 394 395s though. But would buy or run any of the three mentioned.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll ad that a 390 is the real deal as well. I have one and have been big wood with it daily. No complaints and easier to pack. Rugged and reliable as well.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good points on user friendly. I guess I never realized how much the 66s and 660s vibrated. Until I got a 395. Then I truly felt the difference. Did not care to run 660s anymore. Ton of vibration. Getting stuck good point. And adjuster point too. Bit the outboard clutch can get you too, as my Timber falling Amigo pointed out. But for the big saws I like the outboard. Dagan my friend said he had a couple pinched, could not get chains loose to remove bars from powerheads
Said he had to bust a few chains with an Axe. I never had a problem, until he told me the story. A week later I pinched the bar on the 395, had to pull the bar it was not fun:) I've never run a 592, many 394 395s though. But would buy or run any of the three mentioned.
592 is better imo by far.
ps-has an inboard clutch😉

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ps I prefer the front adjuster for its simplicity with direct movement lacking extra parts and i’ve never had an issue with an outboard clutch, dunno but always felt the inboard on the stihls i ran always seemed to show up the heat??